Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: TPP and TTIP  (Read 37383 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: TPP and TTIP
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:15 am »

Aside from the cheese naming thing which I don't care (much) about though will probably use as a talking point when explaining this to people like my parents and hometown, this is all very bad. It seems that the TPP will be worse, though both are really nasty in their own ways and seem to hurt all but a few. I'm planning on protesting with every avenue I have available. Which that's a thing... This law will probably not coincidentally be used and abused to take out protesters. :|

Congress still votes on the final fast track deal.  They just agree to vote quickly and without amendments.

To be honest, it kind of make sense. You can't negotiate such a big deal if Congress will just mess it up later.

Which is precisely why Obama shouldn't have Fast-Track authority! If he didn't and it was clear he wasn't going to then negotiations would break down and the deal would have immediately fallen through! That's the POINT!
Agreed.

Power of the executive branch to just fly the bird to the two other branches of govt whenever there is a foriegn trade deal? what could possibly go wrong!
Hell, why even have independent branches of the government? It only slows down implementation of Very Important Laws for Very Important People! Why not have the singular government that takes care of everything at once? The Very Important People will be pleased!
Hide the autocracy to make the masses blind to the issues? I mean... Our government and the Very Important People have and will always smokescreen all the time. I say our because I am unfortunately under jurisdiction of the United States of Assness. I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that our leading party's symbol is the jackass when they pull things like this. What can we do to prevent and circumvent though, that should be the question.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 03:06:07 am »

I recommend that, should you want to truly understand what these two things are, that you read the leaked IP portion as well as the opposition/proposition countries. It's really fascinating.
I skimmed the site, but yea, I'll definitely be giving it a read soon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:16 am »

It is too late in the evening for me to read it properly;

Give it to me straight, is this more "SOPA and PIPA 2.0" bullshit, where multinational corporations and their interest groups have been pulling international strings to get what they want codified into a treaty, and then getting everyone to sign off on it in secret in exchange for super special perks for the signatories?

You know, things like the protections on designer drugs in the international market that american drug companies wanted in PIPA, and the "Oops, Yeah, internet access is totally NOT a human right if a big enough corporation wants to take it away from you because you downloaded a 99 cent music file with bittorrent" that was in SOPA?

Am I right in thinking that TPP basically gives big multinationals hard protections on shameless geographic marketing, under the auspices of a free trade bill? (EG, something 180 degrees in the opposite direction from what actual free trade is supposed to enable?)

Edit

Awesome, Mexico!  I hope they dont get overruled!  I am very much against regionalized pricing-- It is basically carte blanc for big corporations to exploit foriegn labor, while making huge transfers of capital, destroying both markets simultaneously.  (Note, I AM in favor of trade tarrifs in order to better insulate trading economies, but region locked pricing is not the same thing at all.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:18:24 am by wierd »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2015, 03:15:45 am »

From what I've read so far, it's far worse than SOPA ever was and encompasses quite a bit more than just the internet.

It is terrifying, but it was inevitable.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2015, 03:21:49 am »

So...  If I file a mark that basically says "Product X-- ONLY IN AMERICA!(tm)", I could sue the shit out of people in other countries trying to sell my X?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:28 am »

So...  If I file a mark that basically says "Product X-- ONLY IN AMERICA!(tm)", I could sue the shit out of people in other countries trying to sell my X?
I think that's to get Europe and Japan on board by spreading their restrictions on words like "Kobe" and "Parmesan", but... yes, I suppose. I mean... Swiss cheese, for example could fall under this by nature of it being called "Swiss". Which will probably just lead to a new and confusing name or a higher price for Swiss cheese. At least based on my understanding.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:25 am »

But it's a contraction of Swiss-style cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2015, 10:24:42 am »

Decontract then, so we can differentiate between swiss cheese and swiss-style cheese.
(european here, obviously. We take our cheese seriously. And wine and many ther food things.)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2015, 10:26:44 am »

Decontract then, so we can differentiate between swiss cheese and swiss-style cheese.
(european here, obviously. We take our cheese seriously. And wine and many ther food things.)

Hmm, in that case I offer a compromise: Swist cheese.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2015, 10:27:28 am »

Obviously a town called Google needs to be started. And then Google needs to be sued for misleading customers about the origin of it's products.. It's the the whole "get the internet domain name before someone else takes it" thing all over again!
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2015, 10:29:51 am »

Swist cheese, taste Switzerland, buy USA(or wherever you are)!

Swist doesn't sound too bad actually.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2015, 10:52:01 am »

But we're giving right to suit to the various gov't's rather than the supposedly offended parties.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:51 pm »

Of course, because a single locality where "piracy" was a "non crime" (not legal, just a not-crime.) would torpedo global enforcement of profitz!

Screw that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

My reccomendation is to start hoarding pirated media now while you still can
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »

Is anyone here a history buff? It occurs to me that there might be precedents set under the Jackson administration (Andy Jackson broke a lot of treaties) that could provide hope in a TPP-containing future (but I can't think of anything specific that could be used in court)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15