Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: TPP and TTIP  (Read 37358 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: TPP and TTIP
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

From the title, I thought this thread was talking about Twitch Plays Pokemon. PTWing this because this stuff seems like it would be good to know/interesting to discuss, even if it isn't random internet people mashing buttons and falling off of ledges.

Aren't some ancient Disney characters that haven't been used in forever still under copyright, even though they haven't been used in several decades? Some of the oldest shorts are getting close to 100 years old, and keeping them under copyright at this point is absurd and really disgusting to me. Very messed up, like how Happy Birthday (the song) is copyrighted and Hallmark will sue the bejeesus out of anybody using it without authorization. Something that's approaching the level of cultural heritage should not be kept under lock and key like that. Could you imagine if the Statue of Liberty were copyrighted and nobody could make derivative works, including paintings, replicas, photographs, etc.?

I wholeheartedly agree. I think intellectual property protections need to be cut way way down. You shouldn't be allowed to copyright or patent anything for more than ten years

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say maybe ~20 years and then afterwards it can only be extended for ~20 more years if its returned to the original creator.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 12:58:35 am »

From the title, I thought this thread was talking about Twitch Plays Pokemon.

I've never heard of that

I'm guessing you think regional culture is pointless. Also, how are food names connected to jingoism?

The limitation of certain things to certain regions is a vestigial remnant of a barbaric pre-modern era.  Trying to preserve this state of affairs serves no purpose but to foster an us and them mentality.

Aren't some ancient Disney characters that haven't been used in forever still under copyright, even though they haven't been used in several decades? Some of the oldest shorts are getting close to 100 years old, and keeping them under copyright at this point is absurd and really disgusting to me. Very messed up, like how Happy Birthday (the song) is copyrighted and Hallmark will sue the bejeesus out of anybody using it without authorization. Something that's approaching the level of cultural heritage should not be kept under lock and key like that. Could you imagine if the Statue of Liberty were copyrighted and nobody could make derivative works, including paintings, replicas, photographs, etc.?

I wholeheartedly agree. I think intellectual property protections need to be cut way way down. You shouldn't be allowed to copyright or patent anything for more than ten years

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say maybe ~20 years and then afterwards it can only be extended for ~20 more years if its returned to the original creator.

How about 20 years with the possibility of one renewal if it is owned by a person and somewhere between 5 and 15 years with no option for renewal if it is owned (either in whole or in part) by a business
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:02:32 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 06:10:07 am »

I'm guessing you think regional culture is pointless. Also, how are food names connected to jingoism?

The limitation of certain things to certain regions is a vestigial remnant of a barbaric pre-modern era.  Trying to preserve this state of affairs serves no purpose but to foster an us and them mentality.

Y'know I kind of agree, but then I never grew up with such a thing being instilled in me.
Off-topic, but I'm all for bumping the thread & raising awareness.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:47 am »

It fosters regional pride and increases the diversity of culture and variety of experiences that make up humanity.

And I really want to know what harm you think is going to come from food names. Talking about jingoism and barbarism, you almost seem to be implying this would lead to violence. The worst outcome I can see is people from Kentucky being rude. Nobody is going to start a war over bourbon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:04 am »

Plenty of wars were waged about Bourbons.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07:58 am »

And I really want to know what harm you think is going to come from food names.

It's bad for consumers who may mot realiz that, for example, you can use "whiskey" any place that "bourbon" is called for (and vice-versa) or blue agave mezcal whenever "tequila" is called for
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:15 am »

But it's also bad for consumers who may not realize that you can use tequila for any mezcal whether it's "real" tequila or not, so that argument works both ways.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:25 am »

But it's also bad for consumers who may not realize that you can use tequila for any mezcal whether it's "real" tequila or not, so that argument works both ways.

Is there any situation where it matters whether it's "real" tequila from Jalisco?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:31 am »

Do you also support forcibly removing all brand names? Because the consumer might not realize he can use any whisky when the recipes call for Jack Daniels.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:12 am »

As a scapegoat?
As fasttracking the TPP as we shitpost

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:47 am »

Is there any situation where it matters whether it's "real" tequila from Jalisco?

Yes.

Mescal can be produced from pretty much any edible agave, but genuine tequila is made only from blue agave. This results in a different flavor and texture.

Whiskey/Burbon however is made with exactly the same ingredients, and aged in exactly the same kind of oak barrels, in exactly the same ways, EXCEPT-- One is made in one state only, and the others are made anywhere else.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 11:31:41 am »

Yes.

Mescal can be produced from pretty much any edible agave, but genuine tequila is made only from blue agave. This results in a different flavor and texture.

Under Mexico's standards it has to be made from blue agave AND come from the Jalisco region, and it is the second part that I'm objecting to.

Hey guys has anyone at this junction of their life considered Obama
As a scapegoat?
As fasttracking the TPP as we shitpost

The thing is you phrased it in a way usually reserved for prosetlyzing about Jesus
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:34:15 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:50 am »

Being a bourbon restricts your ingredients too. Just not as much as tequila. Whiskey can be made from a variety of grains in any proportion.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:33 am »

Ya know, I can't help but think this stuff can be translated to pharmaceutical products...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:05 am »

The differences are small, so yes.  The major difference is that medicines are created to treat a specific condition, where recreational drugs are not. (alcohol is a recreational drug when not used as a topical antiseptic.)

However, drug manufacturing processes are often done to do one of 3 things.

1) Control quality of product.
2) Increase production yield of product.
3) Assure safety of product.

Many drugs these days are synthetic; they start with some natural feedstock molecules, then get chemically treated with a variety of processes to add remove functional groups.  Those processes can leave bits and pieces of biproduct in the resulting preparation, and those biproducts can be dangerous when consumed.  That's one of the big things that big drug corps harp about when it comes to generic versions of namebrand medications. (acetaminophen vs Tylenol, et. al.) This discounds that often the reason for generics using a different synthesis pathway/production process, is because the drug companies are so afraid of competition that they patent their synthesis process as well as the drug itself, forcing the issue.  Rather than accepting that they are the ones responsible for the potentially less safe generic medication's reliance on alternative synthesis methods, and ceasing the process pantent bullshit-- they instead go an cry little crocodile tears to governments, asking them to please block out those "dangerous" generic drugs from the market.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15