Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Architecture science  (Read 1103 times)

Midas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Architecture science
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »

It's a humble science, dedicated to architecture and wealth.
I wanted to find out the value of engravings, smoothed walls and constructions. Patricularly, the main question was "Should I engrave the Palace or use gold bars instead (in terms of value, of course)".

So, I had a conglomerate (value 1) mountain with some marble (value 2), lignite (value 1) and platinum (value 40). I also used bronze (value 5), gold (value 40) and adamantine (value 300).

Results

Conglomerate
Smooth floor = 3
Smooth wall = 4

Marble
Smooth floor = 3
Smooth wall = 4

Lignite
Smooth floor = 6
Smooth wall = 8

Native Platinum
Smooth floor = 6
Smooth wall = 8

Engravings

All materials, floor and walls:

Detailed = 10
-Detailed- = 20
+Detailed+ = 30
*Detailed* = 40
≡Detailed≡ = 50
☼Detailed☼ = 120

Construction

Conglomerate, marble, adamantine or Armok-knows-what-else floor will always cost 6, wall 14.

Conclusions
 - Dug rock will not count as architecture
 - Material matters in smoothing only, and value is weird - lignite and platinum have the same
 - Only quality matters in detailing, but, say, gold engraving will cost more because of a smoothed gold wall
 - Good engraving in gold will cost insignificantly more than the same engraving in crap stone
 - Constructed floor and walls cost more than the smoothed ones
 - Adamantine-paved room will be cheaper than the same room with crappiest engravings in sandstone
 - There is no sense in a gold-paved palace

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Architecture science
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »

A lot of room value science was done in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118751.0

With a quick look at the first post (with collected results), it seems smoothing value is 1 for layer stone, 2 for everything else (all ores, gems, and yes, lignite/coal). Engraving gets more complicated. Also, this is an annoying feature: "The direction of engraving does affect the result. If the engraving task is completed from outside the room, only the smoothing is counted to room value and EV will be left out." Because it means that to maximize room values for noble quarters etc, you need to be sure that the engraver does the engraving while inside the room, not on the neighbouring room's side or in the hallway, either you need to have 2-thick walls between rooms and between rooms+hallways, or you need to lock them in the room you want engraved to the best value.

This is still an area that hasn't been fully researched, and I'm sure you can bring something new to the table, so don't be discouraged. I just thought you might want to find out about the previous thread sooner rather than later. You can verify those results, fill in any holes, or try to find holes.

P.S. I thought this thread was going to be about the architect skill, which isn't quite as complicated as rooms' values for the fort, but is not that transparent either.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:15:02 pm »

- There is no sense in a gold-paved palace
Well... IIRC, fall damage is partially based on the density of the floor they hit, so gold flooring the palace might make sense if part of the palace involves harshly terminating the dreams of would-be-flying goblins, since gold is roughly 7x more dense than most types of rock in the game.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »

-snip-
Engravings can lead to FPS drain, so a conservative Overseer might see it fitter to remain with smoothed tiles at which paving in gold would be economical, no? On that same vein, paving the floors over with gold roads would allow you to add the value of gold and the architecture's skill to the value of your engravings, so why not both?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »

Hmm, it seems that roads are not counted under "Architecture" value, but rather under "displayed". I ordered a 3x3 bit of road built from clear glass blocks, and architecture value didn't change, but demolishing the road reduced "displayed" value by 66☼. A repeat gave 15 in both architecture and displayed value when design was finished, another 75 (presumably 5xbase material value for excetptional quality?) "displayed" value after finishing the building.
Building a 3x3 bridge instead increased "displayed" value by 60☼ and "Architecture" by 885 (i.e. 59x the value of a clear glass block; design was masterful; i've no idea how final bridge cost is calculated).

It's really difficult keeping track of values in a lived-in fort, since the ratings keep going up and down a few bits every few seconds, even without deliberate activity. Actual values may be off a bit, but probably not much.