Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ultimate General: Gettysburg  (Read 5433 times)

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 12:58:35 pm »

PTW, since this is awesome.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »

It does seem awesome... it makes sense that this guy would be a total war modder, as this is basically Empire Total War but simplified, top down and better.

That being said if its just static historical scenarios there's no way I'd buy it.  I didn't even play most of the TW historical scenarios once.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »

Troop numbers and territory "ownership" changes over the course of the Gettysburg campaign. If you suffer a devastating defeat, the next day will be much more difficult. Combined with a cunning AI, that you can assign different playstyles, I see myself having a lot of replayability.

Definitely a light project though.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »

Troop numbers and territory "ownership" changes over the course of the Gettysburg campaign. If you suffer a devastating defeat, the next day will be much more difficult. Combined with a cunning AI, that you can assign different playstyles, I see myself having a lot of replayability.

Definitely a light project though.

Honestly I think this game should be viewed more a a test, if this goes well i'm sure he will continue to extend the series in new directions.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 07:51:18 am »

Huh! This thing has been available on Early Access for a while now apparently!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306660/

Has anyone bought it and tried it? Any comments or previews? I'm pretty tempted to get it...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »

Huh! This thing has been available on Early Access for a while now apparently!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306660/

Has anyone bought it and tried it? Any comments or previews? I'm pretty tempted to get it...

Looks like it has technically only been available for...9 days? it looks like it has generally favorable reviews from most people and is at a reasonable $10. I might pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:48:29 pm by dennislp3 »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »

Yeah, I'm severely considering it. I sometimes get musket-era urges. Cossacks II Napoleonic Wars is interesting, but I've played it enough that I've seen almost everything it has to offer. I miss large skirmishes. I'm still worried this game is going to feature a single map and a semi-linear campaign :(

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:39 pm »

So I bough the game and its very fun! I dont know about the replayability but its got excellent combat. The only slightly annoying thing is sometimes your troops will move a bit to get into a more connect line so your regiments overlap, the only problem with this is you end up giving important ground sometimes. I found it to be very enjoyable and at least somewhat challenging!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

the new update with the height map layover is great...helps a lot

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 08:31:53 pm »

I've been holding off because of worries with replayability. Have you guys been able to get a feeling for how replayable it's going to be? One campaign, one map so far. I'm worried they'll go the DLC way and simply have maps/campaigns that you can buy.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 12:36:12 am »

The way it works is that there is one map and the battle is broken up into several days. Each day you get to decide something like where to defend or when to press the attack etc which pretty drastically changes how things play out...and you can do this as both union and confederates. So the re playability is akin to a choose your own adventure story book really. The different levels of AI difficulty of course change that as well

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 05:32:31 am »

Neat concept. Is it similar to Civil War Generals 2? That was hex based and had the # of men and what weapons their battalion or brigade used and such.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:54 am »

This looks really awesome, but does anyone know about how moddable/expandable it is?

I'm really not a big Getteysburg/Civil War fan (sorry Americans!) and so I doubt it'd hold my interest much as a vanilla game, but I imagine it could be amazing if modded. In my experience, the problem with these incredibly focused games is that they tend not be very moddable due to the way that all the systems have been put together to achieve that one particular scenario.

If anyone knows either way, please speak up!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 12:01:02 pm »

This looks really awesome, but does anyone know about how moddable/expandable it is?

I'm really not a big Getteysburg/Civil War fan (sorry Americans!) and so I doubt it'd hold my interest much as a vanilla game, but I imagine it could be amazing if modded. In my experience, the problem with these incredibly focused games is that they tend not be very moddable due to the way that all the systems have been put together to achieve that one particular scenario.

If anyone knows either way, please speak up!

Well as of right now, there's no modding, but seeing as the developer is a long-time modder I don't see why it wouldn't eventually be moddable. Keep in mind even thought it's "released" it's still in very early stages.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »

Yeah it just got a proper save system put in. I am not sure about modding plans...I see this as more of a launching point game for him. A light game to get some experience, get his name out there, and get some money for a larger more complete project.
Pages: 1 [2] 3