Poll

Should I post this save?

Yes.
- 6 (50%)
No.
- 6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long Worldgens Thread: Generated a medium world with 403 years of history....  (Read 3551 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I decided to generate a medium-sized world and see how far I could get in history. After an hour of real-life time and 403 years of in-game, I decided to stop worldgen. The world is now in the Age of Legends, something I have not seen for a while now.

Looking through the history in legends mode, there is a civilisation called “The Squashed Boulders”. In the year 385, they went all-out on what seems to be a goblin civilisation, pillaging many Dark Fortresses. At least two Dark Fortresses are inhabited by dwarves on this map.

I really want to post this on DFFD but the save is about 170MB. What should I do about this?

How long a worldgen have you managed and what kind of interesting worlds have you generated? What kind of crazy or completely insane things have you seen come up? I’m talking about dwarves single-handedly taking on thousands of soldiers, or ridiculously named sites and historical figures.

Crazy locations from my worldgen:
-Syruphell, a goblin dark fortress founded partly by elves and partly by goblins. Syruphell, while under goblin control, has been subject to baby-snatchings as well as producing its own fair shair of baby-snatchers. The free population on the text dump consists of 101 goblins, 7 humans, 6 dwarves, and 2 elves, though it seems from history most of the action in its recent years (read: murder and people taking up jobs) is among humans, dwarves, and elves. Syruphell, however, has never been sieged.
-Drunkenmenace, a goblin dark fortress pillaged by The Occult Paddle in the year 401.

Noteable individuals by name or deed:
-Melbil Shipmurdered, who on his coming of age became a clerk in the fortress of Jadearmors, married Feb Nationsarrow the following year, and then became a mechanic after leaving for another fortress. His third toe on his left foot was smashed by a zebra monster named Ura Suckedraunch the Filths of Wasting in the late winter of 252. He died in 258. While it does not state his military service, he did kill ten goblins and a troll in The Creative Dune.
-Fìma Cactusbuttock, an elf born in the year 94. He became an animal caretacker in Islandconvents  :o, but then married Sareve Squidhall and moved to Cyclonetufts, where he became a craftsman. In the year 145, he began scouting the area around Cyclonetufts. He is listed as having killed 48 dwarves  >:( in a place called Distantazure.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:15:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got 2 small worlds on year 2000 saved, both generated with about 10x normal megabeasts, so after about 500 years of warfare, the only significant events are people attacking dragons (modded to be breeding and grow quicker, so they dominate most worldgens). Unfortunately few "hero" figures arise, as most people are killed by megabeasts or other things.

Dynasties didn't last long either, most rulers rule for ~3 years
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

On my i7, I ran a worldgen for 1500 years once. Sadly, by that amount of time the elven menace had managed to outbreed everyone else, being immortal and insane.

That seems to happen frequently with really long worldgens.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I went on a mad quest to create a world with mature dragons in it and succeeded in creating some pretty neat 1000 year old medium worlds that met this criteria. One has a crazy canyon system running down the center of the main landmass with tons of waterfalls. I think the other has a terrifying ocean in it and some other fun oddities. If I remember correctly one is still in the age of myth and the other is in the age of legends. If anyone is interested I can probably post the saves. I like generating worlds but I tend to end up with far more than I could ever hope to start fortresses on. I don't remember the exact parameters off hand but my world's tend to have a lot of volcanism, a lot of minerals and a large number of savage biomes. Be warned to make up for the increased volcanism and minerals and long history there are a LOT of mega beasts, titans, semi mega beasts, secrets of life and death etc. Despite the long histories each map still has representative civilizations from each of the main races.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:27:49 pm by Melting Sky »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

I usually gen small worlds (65x65) to be able to use long histories (600+ years). Legends mode is basically on of the best things in the game.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile

I had a medium or large (cant remember) world with 1050 years of history.

Elves went extinct and their bodies had been enslaved by necromancers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I decided to generate a medium-sized world and see how far I could get in history. After an hour of real-life time and 403 years of in-game, I decided to stop worldgen. The world is now in the Age of Legends, something I have not seen for a while now.
400-600 years is usually the average time for a world to gen though. When it gets above the thousands then it's a long world :P

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually only gen 150 years of history, to make sure (almost) all dwarfs are properly born and not created from thin air. I find that most worlds don't really develop much past ~year 200. Perhaps i'm just using the wrong parameters, but worlds at year 2000 tend to look pretty much exactly the same as in year 220 - perhaps two more tombs and one more tower, that's it.

(Perhaps that's mainly a problem of small to tiny worlds; i generally don't have the patience to gen for long times on large worlds - i usually hit Play Now! when embarking because Prepare Carefully is booooring.)

uncle.kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm currently trying to generate a Large Island world on Masterwork DF on a Xeon 3,2GHz CPU. 10 minutes of work, year 255 and Second Age of Legends. I'm surprised by the speed at which world progresses in Masterwork. I usually get to Golden Age or worse around 600 on medium worlds.

Bang, 2 minutes of post writing and it's 276. It's only sad DF doesn't support multi-core computing.

uncle.kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and the process stopped working. Wasn't anywhere near the computer, so can't say at which year we stopped.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a 1000 year old world where many dwarven civilisations had only ever had one king or queen throughout their whole history: an immortal vampire. There was even a human civilisation that got in on the fun. On year 2 a demon came up from hell and convinced them it was a deity. In this world, being ruled by an immortal being that has guided and shaped your civilisation from the beginning of time is just the normal method of governance.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Alright, if people want to do long worldgens, do you think it is possible for people to provide the worldgen information so someone else, possibly with a more powerful computer, might be able to generate a world and post it?

The only “requirement" would be that the world is made public i.e. other DF players can get a hold of it.

I've got 2 small worlds on year 2000 saved, both generated with about 10x normal megabeasts, so after about 500 years of warfare, the only significant events are people attacking dragons (modded to be breeding and grow quicker, so they dominate most worldgens). Unfortunately few "hero" figures arise, as most people are killed by megabeasts or other things.

Dynasties didn't last long either, most rulers rule for ~3 years

I tried a “small” world, 10,000 year history. It got to about 1500 years after 1 hour, and I maxed out all the RNG creatures (Titans, Demons, Werebeasts, Night Trolls) and civilisations. I aborted because the world was getting completely covered in tombs and towers. It would make a good adventure world, but I think we need DF2014 >:( to do that properly.

I'm currently trying to generate a Large Island world on Masterwork DF on a Xeon 3,2GHz CPU. 10 minutes of work, year 255 and Second Age of Legends. I'm surprised by the speed at which world progresses in Masterwork. I usually get to Golden Age or worse around 600 on medium worlds.

Bang, 2 minutes of post writing and it's 276. It's only sad DF doesn't support multi-core computing.

Dwarf Fortress mostly depends on your clock speed. Modern processors have more cores and more optimisations, and neither are used by Dwarf Fortress. I’ve heard overclocking is the best policy.

Maybe Masterwork saves have a smaller number of items because a lot of the products are “generic”, and thus the worldgen advances quicker in terms of years. The number of creatures and entities would increase age progression. Curious.

My method for speeding up worldgen is to design the worldgen to put the game into a “too many rejections” state and then allow all worlds, preventing any further rejections.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to do 1000 year worlds normally.  It seems the key is to make the DF window windowed and small.  World generation seems to take far longer with a large window rather than a small one.  Which honestly makes no sense but is very obvious when I gen worlds.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile

For Adv mode fun I just go into raws and set all civs to use actual cities and hamlets, or caves at least (all currently visit-able locales) :> Strange to see goblins running fully loaded markets, though :|

uncle.kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard that turning off hyperthreading can help, but can't say anything on that, really. Does anyone know if making DF large address aware helps?
Pages: [1] 2