Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Zombie Siege of Mabdugteshkad Mostod  (Read 2443 times)

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Sieges - Should I be scared?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

Scratch that, fully 1/2 of my military has been died. One of my dwarves got back up and started killing, and is now Sanusbisek, Ushat Orruntun's Corpse. Weird. Any advice on saving the fort?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 05:05:39 pm »

Scratch that, fully 1/2 of my military has been died. One of my dwarves got back up and started killing, and is now Sanusbisek, Ushat Orruntun's Corpse. Weird. Any advice on saving the fort?

Try and lock a miner and as many dwarves as you can in a sealed off area and rebuild the fort there. Then kill the undead years in the future.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »

I forgot to lock the door leading to the backup fort, and the undead poured in. The fort has crumbled to its end :(

Guess who made a backup save? :D Am a bit annoyed I had to do that though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:49:05 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Zombie Siege of Mabdugteshkad Mostod
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »

This time, the fort has been locked up tight, and the citizenry allowed to mill about the fort, completing jobs. I will finish gearing up my military, give the citizens some decent gear (weapon, shield, mail shirt) and lay down a few traps. This time, the fort will hopefully survive the zombie attack.

Any recommendations for traps? Cage don't seem like they'll help, and slashing weapon traps will only make things worse.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:59:23 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:14 pm »

Weapon traps with blunt weapons, morningstars and spiked balls.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »

Actually, cage traps are the best, if you make enough of them. The thing about cage traps is that you might be able to catch the necromancer(s) alive, which would be a HUGE boon to your fort, as you can use them to build an unparallelled archer training facility.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

Any recommendations for traps? Cage don't seem like they'll help, and slashing weapon traps will only make things worse.
Depending on the zombie. For creatures without grasping limbs, hacking weapons are better than blunt ones. A zombie Yak head is a lot less threatening than say, a zombie Yak. Yet a zombie human head and two zombie human hands can be more finnicky than dealing with one human zombie. It's really down to personal preference.
Cage traps are the best.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:51 pm »

Slashing weapon traps in a formation that restricts LOS. Hope you kill the necromancer with one of them.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:05 pm »

Things have been going well. A simple 'airlock' system is letting in 10-15 zombies at a time, then breaking LOS. The militia can easily defeat the zombies in small numbers. After this, defensive construction will be of the utmost priority. That and socks.

A though on capturing the necromancer, if I capture and/or kill him, he will have a slab or book correct?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:43 pm »

I thought risen dwarves kept their racial traits, like TRAPAVOID, much like a badly-trained animal keeps its trapavoid if it goes wild again(wiki info). Was I wrong all along?
They do. You were right.

A though on capturing the necromancer, if I capture and/or kill him, he will have a slab or book correct?

Possibly. Not 100% chance.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:42:32 am by Ebonblade7 »

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 08:45:39 pm »

Ok. If he does have one, can a later adventurer acquire the slab/book and become a necromancer?

IIRC books can't convey necromancy, but slabs can.

Canonically, necros learn their magic from slabs granted by the gods in worldgen, not books. And I haven't seen a necro learn from a book, only slabs. That and their towers are filled with non-necro-granting books.

I haven't actually dug into the raws or code to confirm that books cannot convey necromancy, just saying it is unlikely a book would do so. But the only slabs a necro would carry probably would be the magic-granting ones.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »

As your military dwarf came back to life, it's obvious now, but in future you can check for the presence of a necromancer (they will try and remain hidden) in the combat logs. if you see "the corpse shudders and begins to move!" in the combat logs that means a necromancer is at work.  Unless you have a military able enough to hack down all the zombies and keep them down during constant reanimation getting to the necromancers and killing them can be difficult.  Vampires are completely ignored by undead(but not necromancers) so they can be useful.  Also towers with marksdwarves can be secured from the undead by a simple locked hatch on the first floor, and the dwarves in the tower may spot the necromancers as they move past.

My two cents on traps is, yes cage traps effectively instant kill whatever steps on them (and prevents reanimation) but weapon traps can attack many many times, I think the more zombies there are the more efficient weapon traps get.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:35 am »

Ok. If he does have one, can a later adventurer acquire the slab/book and become a necromancer?

IIRC books can't convey necromancy, but slabs can.

Canonically, necros learn their magic from slabs granted by the gods in worldgen, not books. And I haven't seen a necro learn from a book, only slabs. That and their towers are filled with non-necro-granting books.

I haven't actually dug into the raws or code to confirm that books cannot convey necromancy, just saying it is unlikely a book would do so. But the only slabs a necro would carry probably would be the magic-granting ones.

Necromancers do write that stuff down actually. Not often though.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 05:06:43 am »

There may be a necromancer or four hiding in the shadows. Finding them takes FOREVER (unless you use magma). If there are none, stick to using crossbows and water cannons/traps to push them back.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3