Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28074 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: [insert gender-related title here!]: Carry On Version
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:45 pm »

This This! may be relevant.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:33:06 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »

Do you... mean this entry or PZ's entire blog?  :P
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

Arg. The entry.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2014, 09:20:36 pm »

HI GUYS WANNA READ SOMETHING REALLY DEPRESSING
I'm not sure I trust that article. I mean, they didn't go anywhere past the statistics of deaths. They didn't try maybe actually asking people about it, which to me seems like they're missing out the fundamental piece of information you would need to draw that conclusion.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »

Quote from: Decent points from comments?

1) Hurricanes were named solely with female names from 1950 through 1979. After 1979, the names were alternated between male and female. What skews the study is that it does not account for the differences in hurricane-related safety standards that existed prior to 1979 compared with the much more stringent requirements that came after that time. Without accounting for that clear skew--29 years of solely female names during a time of less stringent architectural safety requirements--it's not surprising that there would be more lives lost under female names.

2) The following statistic is troublesome: "Of the 47 most damaging hurricanes, the female-named hurricanes produced an average of 45 deaths compared to 23 deaths in male-named storms, or almost double the number of fatalities." Without knowing the standard deviation of these averages (that is, how they deviate from their mean, or average), these averages are rather meaningless. The sample sizes are very small (47). A few small random changes to either of these samples (whether a bridge happened to fall down or not, killing scores of people; whether a power line happened to hit a filled church, etc.) would change the outcome dramatically. If random events can change the outcome so easily, a much better description is to call the entire outcome random.

3) This study also suffers from a common deficiency: mixing up correlation with causation. Even apart from what I have already written, this study in no way proves causation. It's looking back in time and finding a pattern out of an infinite number of possible patterns. Such a pattern documents the past but, by itself, says nothing about the future.

The wording itself does seem designed for maximum pageviews. Is assuming someone isn't going to be violent not having respect? If you look at it from the other way, the study finds people respect men less because they assume they'll be violent. It fits the logic just as well. The whole 'not respected' thing... the study just tells us that people do have unconscious biases, not what those biases are.

Unless those people in the secondary studies were actively saying 'Nah, that storm must be a pussy because it's named after a chick!' in between slugs of moonshine I have to hold the 'not respected' conclusion in doubt. A rather small sample size, as well, with no information on the distribution of genders in the samples.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »

That thing is a dead ringer for an Onion article. :|

Remember that whole "women want bad boys" stereotype? The one that generated the "nice guy" thing that's plaguing us right now? It relies on the idea: "A good woman will change her man." This also ties into that point of view where a woman who can't change her partner, who is instead victimized by him, must have done something wrong.

Sort of along these lines, I hate when people in a relationship talk about "training" each other. I've heard it more from guys than from woman, but I've heard it from woman too and it bugs the hell out of me. I'm not innocent of doing it either, but after I was made aware of it I can't help cringing at the phrase. Lots of times it's said in jest, but there's always that under note of tension, and I can always hear the unspoken "heheh, fuck you too...." coming off their partner. Sometimes people do need help to change, for their own sake and happiness. But putting it in those terms is demeaning to either sex.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:00 pm »

HI GUYS WANNA READ SOMETHING REALLY DEPRESSING

I thought it was funny myself, though there are methodological issues in the paper such as male-names only being used later. I don't have access to the full paper but it seems the statistics aren't much different when only looking at years when both gendered name categories were used.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2014, 10:14:10 pm »

Whether that study produced valid data or not, the article reeks of sensationalism. It looks like someone just chose to interpret the data in the most controversial way possible to get attention.

The other day I heard the gist of that article (basically just repeating the name of it) parroted on the news with no additional context or commentary. It was on NPR. Top notch journalism guys.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2014, 04:13:33 am »

Whether that study produced valid data or not, the article reeks of sensationalism. It looks like someone just chose to interpret the data in the most controversial way possible to get attention.

The other day I heard the gist of that article (basically just repeating the name of it) parroted on the news with no additional context or commentary. It was on NPR. Top notch journalism guys.
I am of the belief that all journalism must be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
Often it's just petty sensationalism. I guess most people here aren't old enough to remember the whole "ice cream causes polio" thing. Other times it's a convoluted advertising ploy. Like televisions cause cancer, or cellphones cause cancer, or microwaves cause cancer. Everything causes cancer. Except this News Inc. Newspaper. Other newspapers cause cancer.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:05 am »

Heh, that's.. mildly interesting?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2014, 05:32:23 am »

"Ice cream causes polio"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2014, 06:32:20 am »

It does, in fact. It's got something to do with how polio cases are becoming more common as urban centres expand, and ice cream sales are booming in a similar pattern.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2014, 06:43:12 am »

It does, in fact. It's got something to do with how polio cases are becoming more common as urban centres expand, and ice cream sales are booming in a similar pattern.
Ice cream also causes drowning in coastal areas. And using artificial lights makes you more likely to get a cold. Trufax.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2014, 07:17:01 am »

I wouldn't dismiss the hurricane study that easily, they just have the causality wrong. It's not that female named hurricanes kill more people because they are taken less seriously, it's rather male named hurricanes inability to communicate with their male named peers, increased performance pressure, and post-70s societal expectations to be a "Nice Guy" colliding with traditional stereotypes about strong male breadwinners that causes them to underperform. A similar effect can be observed in male students performing worse than females in schools and academia. The solution is obviously a self-help group for male named hurricanes where they can drink beer, read Schopenhauer and bitch about female named hurricanes emasculating them.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28