Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28137 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: [insert gender-related title here!]
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2014, 07:29:22 pm »

Vector, I've never heard of that sort of thing happen around here - to what degree was that kind of behaviour staff- or university-specific?

Also, people, please don't weigh evil against evil. That kind of argument is just not valid.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:07 pm »

Also, btw, anecdotes -- even though they aren't much in the way of data -- are still very important for a research-based approach, because they let you know where an effect might exist, such that it's worth going after with actual controlled experiments.

Scientists don't usually just strike about randomly in the dark and stumble upon things. Colloquial/anecdotal/gut feeling type stuff guides you to go out and look in those specific places to then try and confirm or deny the colloquial anecdotal suspicions.

Talking to any woman for 5 minutes about it, + plenty of my own observations as a male on the sidelines are more than sufficient to make it OBVIOUS that there's a ton of discrimination going on, as well as a legitimate ton of what people mean by "rape culture." Even a small segment of active support of rape, such as for vigilante punishment for various things, or simply in terms of certain people wanting to have sex with another person and not giving a crap about their feelings on the topic (i.e. extreme selfishness and sociopathy). I don't think the existence of any of these things is remotely debatable. Exactly how much is the only thing needing controlled experiments.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:35:59 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2014, 03:27:08 am »

In some places, post-modernism refuses to die.  One cannot meaningfully analyze anything outside of literal critique, when ideology trumps facts and evidence.  Once again, 'culture' is an aggregate term; it is the sum total of freely-chosen outlooks and actions, made by rational, individual agents.
Post-modernism is not feminism. Some parts of feminism might be post-modernist, but the whole is not.

Where?  Point to them, please.  The only place I've seen anyone defending or justifying rape (personal research alert - not to encyclopedic standards), has been the feminist canard that women cannot be rapists, ergo females in positions of authority who use said authority to have sexual relationships with minors are, in fact, not at fault.  Thankfully, the law says otherwise.
Recent republican talk on "legitimate" rape, or the idea that marital rape isn't rape somehow are more examples. There is also been some politicians throwing this idea of "forcible rape", i.e. if you don't or can't resist its somehow less bad.

I am not aware of any significant groups of feminists who say women can't rape, but if they exist they are wrong and don't represent the movement as a whole.

Men receive more, and longer, prison terms for the same crimes as women - yes, it's just a HuffPo article, but the research has been done.  And yet, for all the sabre-rattling over a negligible wage difference between men and women, this glaring discrepancy is met with the sounds of crickets chirping when presented to Feminist theorists.
The idea that if feminists don't talk (as much) about male issues makes them misandric is like saying the NAACP are racist towards white people.

Grants are available to women, by virtue of nothing more than their genitalia, that aren't availible to men  I'm living in Canada, so I've chosen Grants Canada as the exemplar.  To the best of my knowledge, this is equally true throughout the West.
This is affirmative action. It is designed help women get a better representation in areas there are few women in. However, there does exist debate among feminists as to whether this is actually helpful or harmful and the issue is not as simple as you make it sound. There is also debate as to how useful it is anymore given conditions for minorities have generally been improving.

The rest of your post, and most of your other posts, all falsely assume humans are rational. Humans make lots of their decisions from various heurists, e.g. "gut feelings". Humans can be rational, but are suprisingly often not.

EDIT: On rereading, some of my replies (including earlier posts) may have been somewhat cold or blunt, I have not had much sleep. For that I apologise.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:15:51 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2014, 03:10:43 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't women the majority of college students?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't women the majority of college students?

Yes, because a woman needs a four-year degree to have the earning power of a man with an AA. If I remember correctly, it's not a large gap either--something like 3 percentage points? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

I'll reply to the other stuff a bit later.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2014, 05:38:10 pm »

Yes, because a woman needs a four-year degree to have the earning power of a man with an AA. If I remember correctly, it's not a large gap either--something like 3 percentage points? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

I'll reply to the other stuff a bit later.
Probably this graph from this report (annotated version from various blogs where it's been passed around independent of the report);

It does look at total lifetime earnings rather than expected income, so isn't directly related to the basic pay gap, but is still a relevant number when talking about earning power.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2014, 11:21:37 pm »

News item drop! First, underestimated prevalence of sexual assaults against men.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/04/male_rape_in_america_a_new_study_reveals_that_men_are_sexually_assaulted.html

And an inside investigation of that a-hole from last week's community. There seem to be more itching to go out in a blaze of glory, though luckily there's a good chance they're too cowardly to do much more than bluster.

http://jezebel.com/lessons-from-a-day-spent-with-the-ucsb-shooters-awful-f-1582884301
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Should women be afraid?
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:47 am »

Almost made a new topic, but thought it might fit here...

with the #YesAllWomen, etc. going on, I see a LOT of women saying that they shouldn't have to be afraid to walk down the street, parking lot, elevator, etc. they talk about needing pepperspray, keys clenched in hand, self-defense classes, etc.

What I wonder, is, should they actually be afraid? looking at government statistics (lies, damned lies...) Men are twice as likely to get assaulted by strangers as women... so why are Women so afraid? Is it because other people tell they should be, or because of actual high risk? Or are women only assaulted less because they are so careful?

I'm wondering how much of it is sensible precautions vs viral scaremongering; just like most child kidnapping are by someone the child knows, but all the talk is about 'Strangers!'
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2014, 03:03:37 am »

Note here, I do observe that women are made more aware of possible threats in the daily life--probably the cause of the secondary paragraph there kaenneth. Though on a [probably too much = bad thing, adjective] side, it would probably lead to...overprotectiveness(?) or distrust in strangers or doubt in those around you (just because event x happened == it can happen again! as an example)

Looking at it from men's perspective, it's...not that detailed in a general regard. There are also cases of men being assaulted. Men being raped. Men being harshly treated and abused--the case is nearly identical, though as far as I've seen, less reported due to...shame(?) or...that feeling which makes you hesitate when something really bad has happened to you and..well, I'm not sure if its fear (seems like) but whatever the term is for it, there is fear on both sides, male or female, in that idea behind your post.

...Or you're focusing on one slice of the observation cake perhaps? It seems like the talk is about the results than the causes--like, why does one attack another person?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should women be afraid?
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2014, 03:12:54 am »

What I wonder, is, should they actually be afraid? looking at government statistics (lies, damned lies...) Men are twice as likely to get assaulted by strangers as women... so why are Women so afraid? Is it because other people tell they should be, or because of actual high risk? Or are women only assaulted less because they are so careful?

Combination of an expectation of victim blaming and some myths about rape. Women expect to be raped but the theoretical rapist is always a stranger with an unusual mustache, not a person close to them; and if they're raped, they know they'll be blamed, so we've got to be vigilant vigilant vigilant (cuz otherwise they'll be inviting it in some way and they won't just be raped, they'll also get reputations as sluts).

I really don't think women are assaulted less because they're careful. I don't exactly hear many stories of women escaping assault.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2014, 03:17:02 am »

...It might have something to do with fear of attack being considered unmanly, I guess.
Why do you think the average dudebro spends so much time at the gym if not to better defend himself? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Should women be afraid?
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2014, 03:20:48 am »

Combination of an expectation of victim blaming and some myths about rape. Women expect to be raped but the theoretical rapist is always a stranger with an unusual mustache, not a person close to them; and if they're raped, they know they'll be blamed, so we've got to be vigilant vigilant vigilant (cuz otherwise they'll be inviting it in some way and they won't just be raped, they'll also get reputations as sluts).

I really don't think women are assaulted less because they're careful. I don't exactly hear many stories of women escaping assault.
...How does this even make sense (orange part).
^ My reaction, not me questioning what you said.
I mean, damn. That is a very horrendous thing to do where I am. I mean, blaming the victim!? W.t.f.

Why is the victim being blamed though? :-\

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:09 am »

Man, I always thought that was in order to look good for women/self and be able to lift larger things (that is what my boyfriends said).

Why is the victim being blamed though? :-\

*~*misogyny*~*

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:22 am »

Just World Hypothesis.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2014, 03:28:44 am »

(I was teasing, I wanted an excuse ._. scrdest's answer is better, I think)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28