Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28016 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [insert gender-related title here!]: ATTACK OF THE RADICALS version
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:07 am »

The problem is palsch is that rape's definition can be applied quite easily out of context.

"Have you ever agreed to sex when you didn't want to?"

As an example.

Though I am unsure why asking on this completely anominous study "have you ever been raped?" isn't acceptable. People tend to be extremely honest when they cannot be linked to these. Is it because they are trying to find the secret rape that even women who experienced it don't know? or that women aren't equipped to recognize or process their own rape?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2014, 09:17:43 am »

I kind of think that even with the preamble, the question wording is quite leading. First up it sets up the idea of "unable to consent because drunk", then just before the question it states "whatever happens when you are drunk is not your fault", i.e. it's someone else's fault, before asking the question.

And that question itself is horribly worded. Regardless of the pre-amble any woman who'd ever had sex drunk, consensual or not, would have to answer with a "yes" (or a number) to that question or she'd be lying on the question.

There could have been many ways to word that less ambiguously, but obviously they deliberately chose to word it that way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:20:01 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:25 am »

Or just that not everyone define the same things as rape, so you need more precision for consistency's sake.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2014, 09:20:32 am »

or that women aren't equipped to recognize or process their own rape?

That one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2014, 09:22:32 am »

or that women aren't equipped to recognize or process their own rape?

That one.

Hmm, do we have a study for this one? It seems like an interesting subject.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:20 am »

I kind of think that even with the preamble, the question wording is quite leading. First up it sets up the idea of "unable to consent because drunk", then just before the question it states "whatever happens when you are drunk is not your fault", i.e. it's someone else's fault, before asking the question.
Wait, which part of this do you have a problem with? These are pretty important aspects of the legal question of rape (although you have reworded the second a little from the quote...). If we are trying to determine how many rapes happened (rather than how many women understand themselves to have been raped) then these are important points to clarify before putting forwards the questions.

For reference, in a legal trial regarding rape would you see these as leading instructions given to a jury?

And that question itself is horribly worded. Regardless of the pre-amble any woman who'd ever had sex drunk, consensual or not, would have to answer with a "yes" (or a number) to that question or she'd be lying on the question.
Erm, no. I mean, the wording is right there for others to see, so I don't really know how you can claim this. The phrasing of the question puts the emphasis on consent, as does the context of the question and the entire survey. Not to mention that it was a survey about unwanted sexual contact, which suggests in itself that consensual drunken sex wouldn't be included.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2014, 11:21:25 am »

It has mostly died down in the west but it used to be more prominent. Outside certain White groups (Like Gypsies and The Irish) systematic racism against White people is pretty low.

Gypsies aren't white. They have their distinct culture which is pretty racist against whites. Atleast here in Europe.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2014, 11:38:59 am »

These days, the extremist fringes of feminism are mostly unheard, aren't violent, and have very little power.  Most opposition to feminism isn't even directed at them.  It's directed at "straw feminists", entities of pure speculation and slippery slope arguments.

Ohh?

"You cannot be sexist against men because they are advantaged"

That wasn't a fake quote or said by some small nobody on like a small blog. It was by a professor of feminism said in a news article.

The Extremist fringes of anything isn't put far in the distance. For example: People who believe in the right to bear arms? There are many reasonable ones and many of the opposing statistics about weapon use is flat out untrue or misleading (such as the 50% chance you will hit a family member? fabricated from another statistic)... Who gets on the news? "We need our guns to protect ourselves from the Obama administration!"

It is just that the extremist fringes are never exactly the same as the Strawman.

How powerful and mainstream do you think this professor really is?  Keep in mind that most professors aren't powerful people to begin with.  They have influence over their students' perception of things, but only for a brief time.  Even if they abuse their authority, it's still going to be over their students and people in their department.

I've read a similar quote explained, regarding race.  It was meant to refer to institutional racism, not personal attitudes.  Black people cannot systematically oppress white people in the US.  This is seems similarly valid for the quote that you presented.  The systems that oppress men are class based, and have been upheld by other men for thousands of years.  Even though women have occasionally gained power in this system, it doesn't make them "sexist toward men".  If you had left a name that I could look up, I'd have a better idea if that is what she meant.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:06 am »

I thought that what was called 'reverse' racism is not systematic racism of non-whites on whites, but systematic action in favor of non-whites to the detriment of whites so, for example, with two people competing for a position, an inferior candidate being picked because of not being white.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2014, 11:51:50 am »

Ok, another article. This one by a Berkeey professor discussing the original Mary Koss studies, plus others.
http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/MythsGilbert.htm
Skipping over the Mary Koss one, but that's interesting reading in itself, the 2nd main set of studies discussed is even more egregious in it's flawed methodology. Just part of it reads:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2014, 11:54:23 am »

I thought that what was called 'reverse' racism is not systematic racism of non-whites on whites, but systematic action in favor of non-whites to the detriment of whites so, for example, with two people competing for a position, an inferior candidate being picked because of not being white.

That sounds more like affirmative action, which is designed to compensate for white people having better opportunities because they tend to have more money and live in areas with better infrastructure.  Even things like welfare are disproportionately provided to poor white people, rather than people of color.

Reverse racism really needs a better name, too.  This current one is too confusing.  It really sounds like the opposite of what it is intended to mean.

@ http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/MythsGilbert.htm

Neil Gilbert also wrote Capitalism and the Welfare State; Clients and Constituents; and co-author of The Enabling State: Modern Welfare Capitalism in America.  He's like a caricature of a conservative old white guy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:11:11 pm by Ogdibus »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 11, 2014, 01:06:48 pm »

That sounds more like affirmative action, which is designed to compensate for white people having better opportunities because they tend to have more money and live in areas with better infrastructure.  Even things like welfare are disproportionately provided to poor white people, rather than people of color.

Reverse racism really needs a better name, too.  This current one is too confusing.  It really sounds like the opposite of what it is intended to mean.

@ http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/MythsGilbert.htm

Neil Gilbert also wrote Capitalism and the Welfare State; Clients and Constituents; and co-author of The Enabling State: Modern Welfare Capitalism in America.  He's like a caricature of a conservative old white guy.

Dude, the guy is a professor of welfare policy at Berkeley. He's not writing anti-welfare polemics. Read some blurbs on the books.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:27:23 pm by Reelya »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »

Oh, ok. That's different.  I didn't actually read the blurbs, but I can tell by the titles that I could have misinterpreted them, more-so than his job description, actually, because being an expert on a thing, doesn't really reveal your attitude about it.  I did look him up, before posting, just because the link you gave has all it's images broken, so I needed some way to get some context for the article, which is very old.

It's going to take a lot of digging for me to get a clear picture of what's going on with the controversy around this guy.

Regarding the Mary Koss statistics: 
Quote from: Rape Is Rape: How Denial, Distortion, and Victim Blaming Are Fueling a Hidden Acquaintance Rape Crisis by Jody Raphael JD
"Critics of the study incorrectly assumed was included when the rape-prevalence rate was calculated, but it was not.  Only penetrations through force or intoxication were combined.  Professor Neil Gilbert at the University of California, Berkeley, subsequently criticized the study, finding ambiguity in one of the questions: Have you had sexual intercourse when you didn't want to because a man gave you alcohol or drugs? Gilbert believed that with this question Koss had expanded the rape definition beyond forcible assault, although many state laws similarly defined rape.  Thus, he thought, she inflated her prevalence figures."

I also want to emphasize this: Have you had sexual intercourse when you didn't want to because a man gave you  gave you alcohol or drugs?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:40:11 pm by Ogdibus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »

It has mostly died down in the west but it used to be more prominent. Outside certain White groups (Like Gypsies and The Irish) systematic racism against White people is pretty low.

Gypsies aren't white. They have their distinct culture which is pretty racist against whites. Atleast here in Europe.

It depends who you talk to. As well "White" is a very large umbrella which encapsulates many cultures and many groups.

That is because "White" is not a culture it is an arbitrary designation of origin.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2014, 03:01:47 pm »

It depends who you talk to. As well "White" is a very large umbrella which encapsulates many cultures and many groups.

That is because "White" is not a culture it is an arbitrary designation of origin.

Yeah. And Gypsies are Indo-Iranian, like Persians or Indians. Well, technically also most of Europe, but we were the earlier wave.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28