Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: YouTube Video Downloading  (Read 1898 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
YouTube Video Downloading
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »

I've been planning a project for...um...since Monday that requires being able to download and edit (via Windows MovieMaker or some similar software) YouTube videos. Unfortunately, I hit two snags. The first merely meant that I felt the need to download them ASAP; the second is that the downloading methods I could didn't fit my needs.

Out of what I could find with a Google search, only clipconverter's .avi files were compatible with MovieMaker, and when I downloaded them...well...they appear to be either blank black screens with audio, or to lack audio data entirely. This is obviously unacceptable.

So. Does anyone have a suggestion for some method that lets me download YouTube videos, cut them apart, and build them into new videos?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube Video Downloading
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

You'll probably have to capture the audio and video separately, and then put them back together.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:58 pm »

I know that JDownloader will give you all of the files related to whatever video it is you download, including both the video file and the mp3. Presumably you could layer the mp3 back over the video in WMM or whatever, though you'd probably want to be careful to ensure that they're synched.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »

There are numerous browser plugins which can grab the .mp4 or .flv files, at least for Firefox; I have used "1-Click Youtube Video Downloader" and it worked well.  For To convert those to .avi files I recommend WinFF; it's open source and works great.  For video editing, there are probably some better programs than WMM, but I don't know any Windows ones.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:25:58 pm by Draxis »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:24:32 pm »

If you use Firefox, I used DownloadHelper the couple times I needed to download a Youtube video, which worked fine for me.  I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for video editing software; I could look through my list of utilities when I get home, but I haven't done it in years, so anything I give may be somewhat dated. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:14 pm »

You'll probably have to capture the audio and video separately, and then put them back together.
I've been using the .avi button under Video. No video was recorded.

I know that JDownloader will give you all of the files related to whatever video it is you download, including both the video file and the mp3. Presumably you could layer the mp3 back over the video in WMM or whatever, though you'd probably want to be careful to ensure that they're synched.
Yeah...regardless of if they come together, synching is going to be needed. Still, coming together would be nice.
I'd prefer not to download software, but if people say that there aren't any WMM-compatible online YouTube downloaders...well, I'll have to look into that.

There are numerous browser plugins which can grab the .mp4 or .flv files, at least for Firefox; I have used "1-Click Youtube Video Downloader" and it worked well.  For To convert those to .avi files I recommend WinFF; it's open source and works great.  For video editing, there are probably some better programs than WMM, but I don't know any Windows ones.
1. I use Chrome.
2. Converting files would probably help.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »

If worst comes to worst and there are no suitable options for Chrome, you could pick up the portable version of Firefox for a short while to use the plugins.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:50:15 pm »

I think you're going to have to resort to extra software. I second the use of DownloadHelper in Firefox (also works in other FF-based browsers like IceDragon). I use Pazera Free MP4 to AVI converter and I've never had troubles. Everything is always synced perfectly, no error messages in sight.

I've been using all of the above for years and have never had any problems. I'd say this combination is probably the simplest and fastest way to get what you want without any extra hassle. As Cheetar says, it's pretty simply to just grab Firefox for this project, then remove it later.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »

The Youtube Center plugin has a download video feature. In my experience, it works much faster than most other Youtube downloaders.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:32 pm »

Youtube Center is what I'd recommend now that Youtube Options requires money. Works fine, just make sure to go for the .mp4 files.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:02:09 am »

Alright. I've got the Youtube Center add-on for Chrome (attempts to download Firefox were unsuccessful, somehow). Now...um...how do I use it?
And are you sure it's called Youtube Center?
Sig

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:05:47 am »

If you can convert from mp4, Keepvid is an easy way of downloading videos without downloading software*. I'm assuming you don't have other video editing software.

*Assuming you already have java.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:08:41 am by NobodyPro »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:18 am »

If Youtube Centre on Chrome acts the same as on Firefox it should just add a download button (with options) below the video. There should also be an additional settings button at the top of the page that lets you set the default format, quality, etc.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:16:30 am »

If you need to download from Youtube you can use aTube Catcher. You can choose the final format and the quality of the video that you want to download.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:40 am »

If you can convert from mp4, Keepvid is an easy way of downloading videos without downloading software*. I'm assuming you don't have other video editing software.
*Assuming you already have java.
Just WMM. AFAIK.
And yeah, if I can find a way to convert files I'll be good. I think someone suggested something...

If Youtube Centre on Chrome acts the same as on Firefox it should just add a download button (with options) below the video. There should also be an additional settings button at the top of the page that lets you set the default format, quality, etc.
...Centre? I think I have the wrong thing.
If it's Centre, I can't find it.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3