Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How will our fortress affect the world?  (Read 1380 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
How will our fortress affect the world?
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:22 am »

Talking about upcoming version.

So the world keeps running as we play, and caravans visit towns and bring items from there.
Is our trade going to affect their growth for example? Exporting lots and lots of food and other goods would increase their size? Becoming dwarf capital causes new dorf settlements to be built around?

Can we kill enought elves to drive them extinct?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: How will our fortress affect the world?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:40 am »

Pretty sure the elves would catch on eventually. If you want to know everything, go through Future of the Fortress and the DF talks. In brevity, your fortress will probably affect the outside world.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »

I don't think the wider trade/economy got any work yet...

But since all dwarves in your fort are historical figures, and historical figures can migrate to your fort or visit it as traders/diplomats/with invasions, you can definitely affect the world. The killing of invaders and their animals would logically affect their site of origin's humanoid and animal populations, now that armies (IIRC not caravans though) are moving around on the map, instead of just spawning at your site.

Also, inheritance should work now, so after the king comes to your fort, if he dies, someone else will inherit the title, and the heir doesn't have to be in your fort.

And in general, retiring is a huge boon in this regard. You can spread the dwarven civilization. I've also had visions of neighbouring or probably slightly overlapping embarks that would build roads across continents. Effectively each "fort" would just be a roadside hamlet/watchpost on a 2x8 embark (same size as a 4x4). Maybe build a toll station. Or build a great wall. Or build/cast bridges/dig tunnels to allow crossing any straits/gulfs/lakes that are narrow enough. Ok, ok, you can do most of those now too, but being able to retire them and leave the dwarves living there instead of just abandoning makes it better. And world simulation continuing doing play and the new stuff to do in adventurer mode have me finally wanting to try that out. Once I've retired a few forts and built a bridge or two etc. in the world, that is.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »

I'm also pretty sure that the economy doesn't exist yet, but the usual affects of just killing historical figures foolish enough to attack your fortress should have important affects now that world gen processes actually continue.  i.e. you kill a goblin general and that civilization might be weaker without that general and hence gets destroyed by your civilization attacking it, or something like that.
Also you need places for your adventurers to buy alcohol everywhere!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:48 am »

And in general, retiring is a huge boon in this regard. You can spread the dwarven civilization. I've also had visions of neighbouring or probably slightly overlapping embarks that would build roads across continents. Effectively each "fort" would just be a roadside hamlet/watchpost on a 2x8 embark (same size as a 4x4). Maybe build a toll station. Or build a great wall. Or build/cast bridges/dig tunnels to allow crossing any straits/gulfs/lakes that are narrow enough. Ok, ok, you can do most of those now too, but being able to retire them and leave the dwarves living there instead of just abandoning makes it better. And world simulation continuing doing play and the new stuff to do in adventurer mode have me finally wanting to try that out. Once I've retired a few forts and built a bridge or two etc. in the world, that is.

Retiring is going to be a feature in the next release? That sounds really great, it's something I dearly miss currently. Don't want to give up an old fort that's thoroughly established, but would like to do something new in the same world, with the same legends/history.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:35:24 am »

I'm pretty sure you can even retire and unretire later!  I wonder if retiring your adventurer at the fort (eventually) makes them a member of your fort? THE POSSIBILITIES
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:50:31 am »

Now, IIRC caravans go through towns and such picking up items to sell, how would that work with retired forts? would it generate items based on the skills of the dwarves living there? On the available workshops? not make items at all?

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:45 pm »

Now, IIRC caravans go through towns and such picking up items to sell, how would that work with retired forts? would it generate items based on the skills of the dwarves living there? On the available workshops? not make items at all?
if our retired fortresses trade the stuff crafted/farmed there.i would make lots and lots of tiny farming forts

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can even retire and unretire later!  I wonder if retiring your adventurer at the fort (eventually) makes them a member of your fort? THE POSSIBILITIES

You can retire and unretire your own fortresses at the very least, that is confirmed. You may also be able to pic up some of the normal forts too. The only sites that you cannot take over are the huge 17x17 ones.

This means you can build a fortress and have your adventurers operate out of it, equipping themselves with adamantine weapons and armour. You could technically also build fortresses nearby just to obtain adamantine, and then have an adventurer pull the adamantine back to the main fortress.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »

This means you can build a fortress and have your adventurers operate out of it

Right, ill build a fort with a palace for my adventurer to live in. If they only could make more use of furniture.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:37:15 am by klefenz »

Ghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:25 am »

This is great news! Finally a real reason to make small productive forts. I'm personally really looking to some of the other changes. With any luck the long wait will be over soon...

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:21:31 am »

Does anyone know if retiring for long enough at a dwarf site will make your adventurer part of it if you reclaim or not?  I don't see why it shouldn't..

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 07:15:22 am »

Quote from: klefenz link=topic=137720.msg5l170209#msg5170209 date=1397134231

Like I said in the 3rd post, IIRC caravans don't move around on the map, they still just teleport to your fort. I couldn't find anything either way in the devlogs just now, so I assume they haven't been upgraded. It's just armies, patrols, and moving (due to marriage) individuals for now, and thelast of those may simply teleport, too.

tom_kazansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

I wondered wheter finding ore x or animal y does add this to your civilization and can be bought from the caravan or in later embarks? Anyone tested?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:44 pm »

I wondered wheter finding ore x or animal y does add this to your civilization and can be bought from the caravan or in later embarks? Anyone tested?

Probably not for the ore, but a post on the dev page last year or in 2012 mentioned that when the dwarven caravan leaves, they take some of your fort's animal training knowledge and pass it on to your civ, so eventually you might be able to buy more animals on embark, if the embark options also get updated with that. But at least you'll be able to tame those same animals quicker in later forts.