NANOMACHINES, SON.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: -  (Read 19052 times)

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DERPA, a KSP Succession Game
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:54 am »

Hrmm... Imgur having trouble with the images from part 2. At any rate, here is the link to the turn http://www.mediafire.com/download/wu3c78k85eb1z5h/DERPA_turn_5.zip

And I'll try to get the story up ASAP... But TL;DR we got a bunch of science and I was tempted to grind straight to docking, but I grabbed basic construction and flight control(instead of advanced construction).

Actually, I can do this without pictures.

Lars looked around the dusty crater, it high rims encircling him in the distance. It was magical on Mun and he didn't really feel like leaving. But he had gathered all the science he could at his current location. He had even planted a pretty flag he'd found tucked away inside his capsule. He struck his empty fuel tanks in anguish.

They made a pinging sound. Deeper than when they had been full but definitely not the hollow drum beat of an empty fuel tank he happened across after a small fireworks party he'd held with some friends. Lars decided he was going to check out the big mountains to the east. He strapped himself into his little seat and jammed the throttle back where it belonged.

He hurtled across the surface of Mun, weightless now as the ground slowly curved up beneath him. When he reached the top of the cliff he turned his engine back on and quickly set down atop it. He flipped the switches that activated his secondary science package and dashed back out onto the Mun's powdery surface.
Spoiler: Getting Tired (click to show/hide)
When he got tired and prepared to go home, he saw the note on the hatch reminding him to gather all the science data and stow it in the capsule before setting off. He also remember to leave a second flag under the lamp of his lander, sort of like a monument to Lars.
Spoiler: Monument to Lars (click to show/hide)

Lars spent the entire trip trying to figure out how he'd get back to the Mun.
Spoiler:  Looking Back (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:17:16 am by thobal »
Signature goes here.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »

Even as Lars is recovering from his Mun cravings, an unscheduled twilight landing takes place on the runway, perpetrated by an impossibly advanced craft.

Spoiler: What Could this Mean? (click to show/hide)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2014, 04:44:06 pm »

That its allready the next guys go?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »

Rapier and ION already? Damn :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

Rapier and ION already? Damn :p

I used a sandbox save for those pics, we don't have that tech, which I was trying to make VERY obvious.

This and the next mini-update are just there to establish a little story. Jeb gets a...new look... and we get something of a mission.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »

BTW, is that ship a SSTO?
Highly Opinionated Fool

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:10 pm »

BTW, is that ship a SSTO?
Theoretically yes, though I have no idea how well it would actually work as one. I made it entirely to look pretty and high tech, not to actually function well.
I flew it slightly, but it was kinda...difficult. And that was at low altitude, who knows what it would do at atmosphere skirting height.
I put the craft file into the DERPA folder (though not the ships folder, someone will have to put it in there when we unlock its techs), and will do so with the pictures of its...occupant...in case anyone wants to reuse it and its pilot.

So basically if you wanna refine it and make it actually work good then you're welcome to try once we get the techs it uses unlocked.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »

Will do, and will probably try to get a working model before my turn so I can use that and cut out the busy work AND remain within the rules.
Highly Opinionated Fool

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:03 pm »

I would like to add that while I only left 3/8ths of the orbital debris with my mission, at ~12 tons I left the vast majority of orbital debris mass wise. And 2/3rds of the Mun Flags. And all 3 tons of Mun junk.
Signature goes here.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:43 am »

I would like to add that while I only left 3/8ths of the orbital debris with my mission, at ~12 tons I left the vast majority of orbital debris mass wise. And 2/3rds of the Mun Flags. And all 3 tons of Mun junk.
That's what you want to be known for? Thobal, the litterer? :P
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2014, 09:20:04 am »

Actually, I want to be the one who gets to complain when the "monuments" to my greatness are damaged by other people's missions.
Signature goes here.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

Right, just to piss you off I am gonna work on a ship to collect all the spacecrap.

Note to self: Learn how to dock first.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »

Right, just to piss you off I am gonna work on a ship to collect all the spacecrap.

Note to self: Learn how to dock first.

This is...actually part of the "Mission" that I'm going to be scraping a story together for once I get all the screenies I'll need. (Its a multi-part mission btw, so you can be on spacescrap collection duty)

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2014, 06:21:45 pm »

On a dark starry night, probe operator Baremy Kerman is once more relaxing on the roof of the Tracking Station, looking up at the rest of the universe, wondering what's out there.

"No seriously, what's out there?"

But unbeknownst to Baremy, the stars he loves to gaze at are aligning just right to reveal the course of his destiny. A shadowy figure in an advanced plane has touched down on the runway, undetected because everyone is asleep. Everyone but Baremy.

?: "Stargazing eh? You don't mind if I join you, do you?"

Baremy: O.O "GAHHHHHHHHHH!!! DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!"

?: "Er...sorry? So do you mind, or don't you?"

Baremy: "Well hang on, who are y.." *At this, Baremy finally looks at the kerbal who scared him*

Baremy: "OH MY KOD! DERPA DIRECTOR! PLEASE EXCUSE MY INSOLENCE SIR!"

DERPA Director: "Haha, at ease. No apologies required Baremy, its always nice to find someone else interested in our universe"

Baremy: "Y-yes sir! Er...might I ask what brings you here sir?"

DERPA Director: "Well as it just so happens, I was looking for someone who could complete a...rather important mission for our program. And I think you may be just the candidate"

Baremy: "T-Thank you sir! I w-won't let you down sir!"

DERPA Director: "Good, its always unfortunate when that happens"

DERPA Director then spent the next few hours relaying the details of his mission to Baremy. This was TOP SECRET of course. As everyone involved in the project knows, DERPA's main mission is to relocate Kerbalkind to other worlds. But as DERPA Director explained, not everyone wants to go. So he has devised a way in which to..."motivate" the population to leave.

DERPA Director: "So as you see Baremy, Project SCARECROW will encourage the population to leave with us when the time comes."

Baremy: "Because the conditions will be much better there?"

DERPA Director: "...."

DERPA Director: "Yeah, lets go with that. That's true enough..."

Baremy: "?"

DERPA Director: "Aaanyway, you will obviously need better technology to complete this mission, so I have taken the liberty of unlocking advanced construction and docking for you"

Baremy: "YAAAAY!! Yay DERPA! YAY DERPA DIRECTOR!"

DERPA Director: "Yes yes, yay me"

((OK, basic outline of Project SCARECROW: I will launch a station core that you guys will/can add to. This stations mission is to gather asteroids, space junk, anything with lots of mass, connect it all together, and when its fuckhueg, put it on a collision course with Kerbin. Though preferably one that takes a long time.
Idea being this will make people want to escape to speiss.))

Indeed, I do this.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but arent we supposed to wait until after our mission to unlock two tech items? Not trying to break your balls, just wondering because there was some stuff I felt like unlocking at the time.
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13