« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 11:31:00 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:47:26 pm by IronTomato »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DERPA, a KSP Succession Game
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

I'm interested in taking part in this. Though depending on when my turns comes up I may wind up just passing to the next guy, I hope that's ok with you guys.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »

Diary of Kirk Kerman

As a test pilot for Derpa I get asked to fly some crazy stuff, but I never dreamed that I would be asked to strap myself onto something like "The Rocket". This crazy guy named Werhner Von is showing me around the space center and asking me questions I dont understand, saying mad things about space, I just nod my head and pretend I'm still listening. I met him earlier this morning and he just wouldn't shut up about the mun.

"So you like dis rocket jah?"

"Sure, yeah, uhah it's a nice rocket"

"And the pod isn't too cramped for you?

"I've flown worse"

"Guudt, jah!, well then, as we discussed this morning we have your rocket ready to take straight there"

"Wait? take me where?"

"Why the mun of course!, you were so eager to go this morning so we've thrown something together for you"

The things I'll do for a paycheck

At least this stage doesn't shake as much

Time for stage 3

We have orbit!.

Wernher, are you sure you know how to get this thing into orbit?

An encounter, does that mean orbit?

Hello there!

Wait, I'm not in orbit yet? what have we been burning all this fuel for?

I seem to be out of fuel.

Actually this is a lot of fun.

DERPA! Why did you ask me to transmit, Now I have no power to maneuver, How will I get home? :(

So let me get this straight, the plan is wait untill the crafts uncontrollable rotation lines up our direction of travel, then burn untill we're not lined up again, then repeat untill we've sped up enough to get back onto a kerbin orbit?

How did that work? And we're lined up retrograde? Somebody up there is looking out for me.

I still have a third of a tank left, but never mind that, I'm going home, woo!.

Kirk? You're too heavy for the parachute, you need to burn off the last of the fuel.

Still pointing retrograde? Perfect.

This can't be safe.

I went to space today!.... 3 weeks of space, In one day!

I did good science.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxxT8j86Ti32U3hQNm0wSThmQnM/edit?usp=sharing

Ze next Pilot can chooze vhat to research next.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

Oh wow, straight to the moon. How am I supposed to top that? Its late here, so I'll download the save and get to it tomorrow.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 04:09:46 pm »

Well, you could get every spec of science on kerbin, or head to minimus.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »

MarkAFK didn't actually land on the moon, he just did a flyby so you've still got that to do. Plus yeah, there's lots of other sciency things to do in the local area.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »

Well, you've already done more than I have

i'm not good at this game
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:47:45 pm by IronTomato »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:24 am »

I punched Derpa into google, and there it was!
I'm still amazed Kirk managed to get home, you can see from the screenshots that the initial ascent was actually away from kerbins rotation, AND rather polar, because the rocket was insanely unstable, I was constantly adjusting roll, pitch and yaw. And i mean constantly, every half second I need to cancel roll, yaw once a second or 2 and pitch every 5 seconds the rocket would alternate between tipping north or south and would need adjustment. I actually placed a single lv45 inside the ring of solid boosters, then throttled those down so they would take as long to burn as the 2 tanks of fuel the 45 had. The idea was that the gimbal would make the whole thing somewhat more controllable. It probably helped, but even with the extra 6 command pods it was rather bad.
The gravity turn was terrible, I didn't have enough control to start untill 12 kilometers up, and apoapsis reached 70 km while the craft was still around 25 k's up, I never burned anywhere past about 30 degrees except for when I almost lost complete control and It was oscillating around the navball wildly which happened around halfway through the gravity turn. So that was rather inefficient.
Then finally rather than actually planning the maneuver, making sure things were lined up and the moon was in the optimal position, and maybe changing my orbit to line up with the solar equator, instead I just gunned it, randomly moving the maneuver node intill it looked like I would make a good encounter.
Meanwhile It was about 3am and I must have been a bit tired because I probably thought that encounter said "closest approach,11,000m" When It was actually 11,000km, so after the burn I needed another to actually get anywhere near the moon.
However Kirk was actually on a solar escape trajectory, luckily I managed to turn that into an actual Munar orbit, I was planning a  actual flyby but I didn't want to risk the maneuver so I figured getting an orbit first would be safer as I would have a few attempts to line back up with Kerbin.
Then I got cocky and transmitted the EVA in order to get a bit more science, which completely drained the batteries, I forgot the lv909 doesn't have an alternator so I had no way of controlling the craft.
But luckily it had a bit of roll and spin so I planned a maneuver node that would take me back to kerbin, I then needed to wait a few orbits untill the pod actually lined up with the node.
Anyway, Because of how inefficient that mission went I'm pretty sure that rocket is actually capable of landing and returning, In fact I think It might be able to take a science jr with it also. But only an insane pilot would ever fly that crate again.

Edit: Also I noticed a bug or something, In the astronaut complex Kirk has high courage and low stupidity, But on the map his portrait shows the opposite.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:17:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:20 am »

Holy crap Marc, you went to the moon with THIS technology? I'm seriously impressed.

No reaction wheels, no radial decouplers. Impressive.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:06 am »

Hope. That's all any of us ever have. But hope is a cruel mistress. Ever since that first eclipse, Papa had hoped to go to space, but the taco had taken it from him... damn it, Papa, I told you that eating glowing things that had been left out too close to the Klutonium was a bad idea!

My name is Genelock Kerman.

I had received a chance to complete Papa's dream. To go to space. But it came with a cost. One I wasn't sure I would be able to pay. The esteemed Wernher von Kerman has seen fit to include me in his 'Space Program for Kerbals', but it came with a price tag. Science.

The old Kerbal was hooked on it. Addicted. Always needing more, and who did you think was going to have to provide it? Yup. This schmuck. Don't let that picture fool you. The smile, the hair, it all belied a monster who craved science the way a Keth addict craved his next hit. But I could use that. The previous spacejocks had been cowboys. All thrust and no science. That was where I came in. All I had to do was take some readings. Do some experiments. Upper atmosphere, low orbit, high orbit. Then bring the results home safe. It sounded easy. Too easy.
Oh yeah. Did I mention I had to design my own rocket? Luckily I had some new toys to work with based on the science gained from the previous cowboy's trip to Mun.

Here she is. Only the best stuff I salvaged off the scrapheap went into making her.

I named her the Eclipsia 1, in honour of Papa and his dream. She would carry me true. I knew it. She carried Papa's love inside her.

The launch goes well. She holds up like I thought she would. Sweet Eclipsia 1. She starts to spin, but after I shake off the empty boosters and start the gravity turn, she recovers. We're on our way to orbit now.

A picture of the Kappalachian Mountains from way up. Flight computer tells me we reached apoapsis of 80km. Good. That means I can start the next step. Orbit. My radio crackles. Mission control picked up some anomalies from the equipment. Maybe some things had shaken loose during ascent. Damn. I had to go outside to check it out.

Its... its beautiful. But deadly. Hard vacuum, radiation, no gravity... If it wasn't for the view I would have called this hell. I try to describe its beauty to the guys back on Kerbin, but they aren't interested. All they want is details. Scientific details. Damn that Wernher.

Is that high enough for you Wernher? Is it?

Sunrise, from my capsule. How can a place this deadly be so beautiful? Papa, I wish you could see this. I'm not crying. There is just a bit of dust in my eye.

No time for staring slackjawed at the sun. It makes me see spots. I was up here to do a job and I had limited time to do it. Time to collect more damned science for Wernher's addiction.

Now for the most dangerous part. Phase 3. Coming back down. Wernher's science was still stuck in the labs and goo canisters. Those wouldn't survive reentry. I would have to go get the data. And that meant using the rocket pack. In space. With no safety line. If I screwed up here, I would die a cold, lonely death in the depths of space. The urge to get back in the (relative) safety of the pod was almost overwhelming.

Careful, Genelock, careful, gently does it... I make it back inside with all the precious science. I hope Wernher chokes on it. The vultures at the KSC immediately press me for details. How was the EVA? Did the joints function as they should have? Did the rocket pack work? Of course it worked. Would I be here if it hadn't?

I detach the capsule. Goodbye, sweet Eclipsia 1. You did your task well. Rest well, old girl. You earned it. Now I just hope the parachute works.

Reentry is... bumpy. But the pod holds.

Touchdown is in the highlands of Kerbin. The parachute worked.

Now I just wait for rescue. But I know it will come. Wernher wants the science. He needs it. And I have it. Come get it, Wernher. This has been for you, Papa.

Total Science Earned: 175
Next guy can pick how to use it. I got, goo, crew report and science junior for upper atmosphere, close orbit and high orbit. Also got a few EVAs in space near water, grassland, desert, highland, mountain and shores, as well as EVAs in upper atmosphere and high orbit. Got Surface sample, EVA and crew report from highlands.

Savegame: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwBQlGCc5WocX28xRzNmU0NKQjA&usp=sharing

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 05:33:46 am »

Christ, boski has it hard now.
No easy kerbin science to farm.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 07:22:12 am »

I actually had no idea you could cram more than 1 of each type of science into the capsule.....

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:48 am »

As long as they were collected in different environments, no problem. Even a crew report can be managed by removing it during EVA then storing it again, I think. But why bother when its easier to just transmit it home?

Nobody said you had to collect science on your turn. You can do whatever. The only stipulation is that you can only launch once. Besides, there is plenty of science to still collect on Kerbin itself, Goo and Science Jr can still used pretty much anywhere below upper atmosphere including all of the biomes. And with the science he has now, he can reach Minmus pretty easily. Hell, he could probably leave Kerbin SOI if he wanted to collect sweet sun science.

I just saved everyone the time of taking Science Jr and Goo readings of the annoying places.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »

I do think I can outdo these previous achievements. I really do. I have science on my side, after all. And if I don't succeed, well, everybody wants to see explosions, right? My idea for the writeup might take a while to do, though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13