Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Heartbleed Exploit - Most servers patched, but assume ALL passwords compromised  (Read 3370 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair they are talking about a strongly encrypted vault file that may or may not (but should if you are sharing over the net) require a second key file alongside a (hopefully) strong password to decrypt.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

To be fair they are talking about a strongly encrypted vault file that may or may not (but should if you are sharing over the net) require a second key file alongside a (hopefully) strong password to decrypt.

Yeah, but sending it over FTP means your FTP password is still naked. It's like hiding the key inside a jar of acid in the garage, and leaving the garage key underneath the welcome mat. There's other stuff inside the garage that's important too!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:27:33 pm by MorleyDev »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

You can sync it via FTP.
sync it via FTP
via FTP.
FTP.

I trust you mean SFTP? FTP is as insecure as a....really really insecure thing. You send all your credentials and the files completely naked and visible to anybody in-between you and the server.

Yeah I think so.  Although the file itself should be safe anyway, it needs the master password to unlock it, which is 24 long in my case.

Edit:  Hmm, actually it IS regular FTP.  Well, I'm still not too concerned.

Edit2:  Wait, are FTP passwords really sent as plain text?  That is ridiculous!  It could compromise my whole webserver.   :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:35:19 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frankly, there's just too freaking many, though. . . I'm going to have to start keeping a piece of paper in my purse or something, because I definitely can't remember a different password for so many different places : /

I have saved all my passwords on my computer. :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Just remembered one of my server apps I wrote at work was using ssl(the bad one) for something.  At least it wasn't hard to upgrade.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Seems like most of the big companies out there are ok though, the checker tool says that steam, amazon, google, github, and paypal all come out clean.

they are safe now, but not back then

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

the exploit has been found in logs since november.

also, while most bank seems unaffected, remember that if you ever had a cc shared to a website which was compromised (they say steam, i.e.) the safest route is to change that as well.

internet truly seems in flame right now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Certain clients are affected too.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, certain clients can also leak memory the same way that the server leaks memory.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

And then XKCD does a pretty good job of explaining generally how it worked:

Or in more technical detail, the code had a speed optimization which included some stuff related to pulling out a page of memory. Usual protocols for doing this involve pre-cleaning the page by just zeroing it out or similar. Instead of using typical methods for doing so, they had their own implementation which did not do so; likely the result of someone not being familiar with the reasons for doing so. In a low-level language, when you deallocate memory, the contents of that memory are not wiped, but rather 'undefined.' Which is to say, you're telling the OS that the chunk of memory in question can be used by other programs and such. The contents of that memory exist until either the OS wipes it (specifically to prevent security exploits like Heartbleed) or until it is otherwise altered. My understanding is that the heartbeat code explicitly wrote their own implementation for grabbing memory which did not wipe it. This makes sense if you aren't familiar with Heartbleed-like exploits, as pre-cleaning that memory does have a small time cost. And thus the newly allocated memory the program has access to has whatever data was recently in that particular place in memory.

And then you compound that with an issue related to bounds checking, as shown in that image above. So when you send the request, you would sent some sort of array of data, and essentially tell the server to repeat it back to you. You also tell the server how long that array of data is. If there is a mismatch, the server should detect that and simply ignore the request entirely, as it is malformed. Instead, the server would load that array into its memory allocated for the incoming packet, then attempt to read back as many characters as you had told it the message was. Which would include whatever data happened to be in that array of data. Since it wasn't wiped before being used for the array, that would include actual fragments of information from sources external to the request itself.

So in essence, it's the result of not following best practices in combination with a simple variant of the classic buffer overflow cracking method. If either allocation best-practices or request bounds checking had occurred, the exploit would not have existed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is one of the minor flaws of open source software. Reminds me of the Debian RNG fuckup. In that case someone commented out a line that generated errors when using a validator program. The person running the checks was obviously not familiar enough with the code or cryptography in general to understand why you might want to read uninitialized data (as a source of true randomness to feed to your pseudo-random number generators). He successfully made every OpenSSL generated key vulnerable to brute force analysis for around 20 months.

The people who write the code are usually excellent at it, but people don't usually pay attention to every edit of their code down the line and every programmer has their own ideas of what good code is. So you are likely to see dozens of edits that 'fix' good code or that 'correct' 'mistakes' that were critical to the functioning of the program. In two cases this has been devastating for security.

I'd say the fix is having more OS programmers who are more intimately familiar with cryptography and security issues, alongside far, far greater documentation of such critical functions. A substantial workload and wishful thinking maybe, but given I'd generally consider OS more secure than closed source software it's something that might well be worthwhile. Trying to shore up the last flaws of a systems strengths makes sense to me, even at considerable effort.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

It's like they toy with people for entertainment, and when people call them out, say 'National security. Are you a terrorist? DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE!?'

If something is in the NSA's best interests, then it outweighs the interests of the entire rest of the world.  Which is, y'know, horrible and all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

THOSE NSA BASTARDS
HOW!?

HOW ARE THESE GUYS STILL AROUND!?

It's like they toy with people for entertainment, and when people call them out, say 'National security. Are you a terrorist? DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE!?'
No they don't. They surreptitiously leak info about your sex life to shut you up or discredit you. They even have a program for that. ;)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Thread is relevant to my interests (and career) and this is as good a place as any to keep up on it.

In short, posting to watch.  Sorry to the folks who thought this was a legitimate thread update.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

THOSE NSA BASTARDS
HOW!?

HOW ARE THESE GUYS STILL AROUND!?

Where is KGB when you need it?
._.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4