Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Things You Accomplished Today  (Read 17727 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Things You Accomplished Today
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

There are all these emotion threads around, but they're all focused on... well, emotions. I've been talking to Imaginary Spock a lot lately, and let me tell you, that guy has some things to say about emotions.

On the other hand, while we can't really give up emotions without doing severe psychological damage to ourselves, it is definitely possible to hack our brains using science, and trick them into being more satisfied with life. One of the ways I've found to do that is to verbalize positive things as much as possible. Science tells us that people who spend a lot of time talking about their problems are actually less happy, because they spend more time thinking about negative things. People who prefer not to talk about their problems tend to be happier, because they verbalize primarily positive things, which has a very real effect on their state of mind.

This is not to say that one should never talk about bad things. Sometime it's necessary to vent, or talk through difficult situations. "Ignore it and it will go away" is not generally a good strategy, and unpleasant things regularly need to be dealt with. But this thread isn't for that. This thread is for verbalizing (at least in writing) all the good things that happen. I've been keeping a private blog for a while now where I just list all the good things that happened each day, and all the things I accomplished, and I'm finding it really makes a difference. Even though as I'm typing it, I'm thinking "well sure this happened BUT only because I endured unpleasant things XYZ," but I just don't write that down. Then later, I can go back and read it, and believe it or not, I don't remember the bad things. I remember the good things I wrote down, enjoy looking back and seeing all the good things that have happened. The bad stuff that came with it mostly just fades from my memory, because I haven't really spent any time thinking about it since then.

I thought it would be nice to share this pleasant brain hack with my B12 friends.

What this thread is NOT:
It's not a discussion thread. If you want to talk about the stuff that happened to you, or ask for advice or opinions, please go to one of the emotion threads (or start your own thread). Short exchanges are permitted, but not encouraged, and people are asked NOT to spend pages on discussion. It's also not a place to come for congratulations. The point of this is not to impress other people, but purely to focus your own thoughts on good things by writing them down.

What this thread IS:
It's a place to write down good things. That's it, just write it down. You don't have to add details or explanations if you don't want. The point is not for others to read it, but for you to write it down. Later, you can go back and read old posts. You might be surprised to find that, like me, you have managed to forget many of the bad things that went with the good ones. Even if you think you had a miserable day, try to think of just one thing, however small, that was good. And you might be surprised that even when you feel like you've had a bad day, you can come up with a pretty impressive list that says otherwise.

If you're having trouble, just imagine that you need to write a resume for a dream job where you have to persuade the reader that you've had a good job. Nevermind why you need to do that, it's just part of the application process. Only people who have had a good day today will get the job. Try to put a positive spin on things that were only so-so, if that's all you can think of. A week or a month later, go back and read it. Part of brain hacking is understanding that we can (surprisingly easily) edit our memories. Tell yourself it happened this way, and you will eventually start to remember it this way. The long-term cumulative effect is a lot of happy memories that tell you that you have a good life and should be happy. And who are you to argue with that kind of logic?

With all that out of the way, here's my post for today:
  • Wrote 876 words for my novel.
  • Climbed up on the kitchen counter to change a burnt-out light bulb in a 3-meter high ceiling, for the first time ever.
  • The weather was just lovely.
  • Found potentially perfect software for writing the game I've been working on for months in my spare time.
  • Had fun playing with the cat.
  • Discovered a way to keep the kids in drama club quiet for about 5 full minutes.
  • Got an early happy birthday message from my grandparents in the USA.
  • Rediscovered a nice photo of me with kid R during his preschool carnivale party.
  • Started re-reading The Restaurant At the End Of the Universe.
  • Realized that even though I decided not to do the 52 books challenge this year, I've actually already read 17 books since January.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Accomplished Today
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:33:37 pm »

Today I:
  • Put up some basket shelving in the basement that I've had laying around for the past couple years.
    Designed a almost-working decade counter in a program I barely know how to use. But using it made me better at it and at design in general.
    Replaced a 240-volt dryer outlet (also in the basement). The old one was damaged with exposed wiring and was ineptly installed. I trimmed down the overlong cord running from the breaker box and mounted the new one neatly on the wall.
    Went for a walk and enjoyed the spring air. The snow is still here, but jacket-free temperatures are a good start.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:05:30 am »

I broke a personal record of toilets successfully unclogged. Running total is thirty now. Damn that shit's exhilarating.

You guys' accomplishments sound pretty important, though. Uh. Congrats.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:08 am »

I love this thread already.

> Began writing and published simple story--people loved it. ._.
> Ambidexterity woes - I caught falling objects with both my left and right hand.
> Good dreams~ Able to fly, and fight correctly in melee combat. Also, fun with pseudo-gravity.
> Played with puppy. Puppy is happy. c:
> Philosophized the existence of sentient life and its importance and role on this Earth, and compared it with examples of other probabilities in a fantasy setting.
> Ran Jogged 5km without being out of breath on an unstable setting (mountainous terrain). :D
> Helped forum buddies thru PM with bad stuffs in life and gave advice.
> Doing my RtD.
> Visited B12.
> Talked on B12 with friends.
> Reading this thread and getting a really good mood from it by looking at others in general.
> Breathing fresh, clean, unpolluted air.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:42 am »

> Posted in this topic.

Posting to watch myself post.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:25 am »

This seems like the sort of thread I should be following to give me incentive to actually accomplish things.

> I made it through work today. I was ok.

Oh, crap, I just realized I need to take my afternoon medicine.

> I remembered to take my afternoon medicine.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:04 am »

• Did things and stuff
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:22 am »

Listening to Academic Performance Boosting videos on YouTube.

Not actually studying, but I feel the good grades coming in already.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:02:12 am »

It's early in the morning so I might edit this post later today.

So today:

• I finished up the shading on one of my sprites
  • I made a sprite of a (futuristic-ish) bow and arrow
  • Woke up before my alarm could wake me up. Again.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:07 am »

-Actually remembered some dreams
-Got new contact lenses
-Started watching Torchwood
-Successfully continued RIPPING AND TEARING demons (read: Doom Invasion)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:34 am »

I woke up and got out of bed quickly instead of laying there for an hour.
Got pepsi wild cherry soda. :3
Watched stupid gmod videos on youtube.
Went crazy when I was home alone for several hours.
Posted on various B12 forums (including this one :P)
Began plans for making a dwarf fortress mod.
I shaved and didn't get cut. (much)
I did various strange painful dances.

Was a decent day. :3
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:27 am »

Got up, had breakfast, and didn't get killed in between. That's about it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:52:48 am »

It's nice to see all the good things people are writing! I think I'll save mine up until the end of the day, for one big post. But I would request that folks please try to avoid phrases like "that's it" or "but" or "even though." They imply negative thoughts being associated with the positive ones, and the idea is to break that association so when you look back, you only see the good. There are days where all I can write is "I didn't die today," and that's okay, but it's key not to say "I didn't die today and nothing else good happened," because that's still a negative thought in disguise. When I read that later, I'll feel bad. On the other hand, if I read "I didn't die today," the feeling is much better.

Okay, keep them coming! I'll post my list this evening (GMT+1).

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:34 am »

Oh well I might as well post here...

• Had disturbing, perverted, complex dreams of fantasy worlds and thus gained more inspiration for FEF and NEF projects.
  • Woke up and found out I'm still alive.
  • Made scrambled eggs with some salami and dried mushrooms and a bit of onions and found out I'm not that bad at this. Actually, it was delicious!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 03:39:27 am »

Stood in a booth with about 5000 watts of light bulbs, wearing only sunglasses and a surgical mask (not on my face).

That is, actually got out of the house to do something to take care of myself instead of moping/gaming in a dark room all day/night.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19