Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves becoming civilians  (Read 908 times)

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military dwarves becoming civilians
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:02 am »

So im vaguely getting the hang of the dreaded military screen, but I have the following problem:

A squad is training away in a barracks, e.g. 10 axe lords. I tell them to station somewhere or go kill, they go and do it. When I cancel that order (o), they all revert back to their civilian job titles. Then a few ticks later they reactivate and become standard axe dwarfs.

Im sure the problem has something to do with when I fiddled with squad schedules to put breaks in, but I seem to have broken the entire system now and its really annoying.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves becoming civilians
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:19 am »

It's perfectly normal and not a problem. Happens to me too. Make sure that if the things you want killed change over time, you redesignate without clearing the kill orders first, so that they don't drop their gear and the go "pickup equipment" again.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:09 am »

It's what normally happens. They go of duty (end kill order) and become civilian, then they go look for their next job, hey soldier, and turn military again. Nothing you can do or have done to change it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:25:40 am »

I wouldn't say that it's "normal"; rather, it's a known bug that hasn't been fixed yet.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:25 am »

As a workaround, instead of cancelling the kill order, give them a station order (I just station them in the barracks if they aren't needed elsewhere) and then cancel that.
They never seem to revert after cancelling station orders, except if it's a new month. If you can manage to not have them stationed anywhere when a month ends, they will never revert.
If you are fighting enemies in the open, you can also use "station" instead of "kill" anyways, they will attack every enemy on sight without waiting for a kill order.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:46 am »

As a workaround, instead of cancelling the kill order, give them a station order (I just station them in the barracks if they aren't needed elsewhere) and then cancel that.
They never seem to revert after cancelling station orders, except if it's a new month. If you can manage to not have them stationed anywhere when a month ends, they will never revert.
If you are fighting enemies in the open, you can also use "station" instead of "kill" anyways, they will attack every enemy on sight without waiting for a kill order.

I've tried this, most of the problems come from actually cancelling station orders and not kill orders (I figured they were more or less the same). I cancel their station, and every time its instant reversion to civilian status, losing all of my master axe lord and xbow master titles. Its very annoying.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:43 am »

I've tried this, most of the problems come from actually cancelling station orders and not kill orders (I figured they were more or less the same). I cancel their station, and every time its instant reversion to civilian status, losing all of my master axe lord and xbow master titles. Its very annoying.
Hm, it works for me, with the exception of the change of month I mentioned.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 07:16:58 am »

Maybe Ive had them stationed for longer than a month and its rolled over into a second month before I've cancelled?

Im also going to try creating brand new squads. Im sure I have mucked up a setting in their schedule or alerts or SOMETHING. I still dont really understand the military system, there are so many bells and whistles.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:21:27 am »

That is possible, they don't need to be stationed longer than a month, it seems there just has a month change to occur, like stationing them from the 28th to the 2nd is enough to cause it.

I don't really use the alert system, except for the civilian alert, so I don't know if you can screw up something there. If they aren't scheduled to train all year, they will also revert in months where they are scheduled to be civilians of course.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 06:24:01 am »

Ive tested it out and there does seem to be something to the being stationed longer than a month thing. Ive noticed there is one setting - when you set a squad to alter you can hit enter, or shift enter which is something about standing orders or cancelled orders.