Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano Ideas  (Read 951 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
Volcano Ideas
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »

I am running a fortress at the moment, building upwards in the open shaft of the volcano (Using many granites. Many MANY granites.) The lower level above the magma is for the smelters, generic workshops, and soon to be prison and disposal chute, and everything up from that is living and such. There is still a LARGE amount of open magma space in my 'cano. So, what I'm really asking is, what can I do with all that free space? I have a volcano and safe environment to play with it, I've never really gotten to mess around with magma. Apart from smelters, what is there to do that would be interseting. Run me through the do's and don'ts. Give me a challenge :D

(Also one other question: Is there any way to engrave constructed floors and walls?)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:41:37 am »

You cant engrave constructed floors, but since you have !!*Magma*!! you can cast obsidian walls.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:06:50 am »

A flamethrower overwatching the entrance is easy and fun. Beware the eventual fires.

How about a magma railgun? Magma Canister shot? With mincecarts? It's my goal in my current fortress. (I'm quite new to minecarts.)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »

Continue building INTO the magma.

1) build automated pumps abutting right up next to the magma 20 or so z levels further down. I think about 5 is enough, spread them out away from one another around the circumference.
2) Build drainways off the edge of the map (dig a fortification in the last undiggable spot to let liquids drain off)
3) sacrifice a dwarf each to dig the last spot.
4) Turn them on and the magma will drain from the volcano.
5) Build stuff in the new airspace, liquid-tight.
6) Turn off the pumps and magma will re-fill in fairly quickly.

Ta da! submerged volcano rooms.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »

I used a drain to take down the level of magma in the tube  down 15 or so levels, built a pumpstack into it with green glass components and used that as a massive, multi level reservoir for a magma flood device

DeusMortem

• Bay Watcher
  • my dwarf has an atrocious spatial sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:18 am »

DFWanderingkid the youtuber had some nice ideas with magma in his furnace clans saga videos
Eripe Diem

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

The most fun thing to do IMHO is magma casting.  I'm working on a whole cityscape of obsidian buildings.  One thing I wanted to try but I haven't gotten around to it is dump magma and water cavern and see if I can seal it up that way.  Oooh!  I also build a series of canals radiating out from the top of the volcano so I can dump magma pretty much anywhere on the the map.  Think of it as dwarven drone strikes.