Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Store item in stockpile is classified as what job?  (Read 1046 times)

Baotiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Store item in stockpile is classified as what job?
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »

My injured dwarves are dying or starvation and thrist. I have to remove the other jobs so that my patients get fed. The main job that irks me is "Store item in stockpile." I have removed all the potential hauling jobs in dwarf therapist but dwarves are still storing item to stockpile. What do?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Store item in stockpile is classified as what job?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »

They're probably still carrying things they were when you removed the labours, they finish what they're doing before they assess what job they might do next.   
I'm afraid idle dwarves with feed patients/prisoners enabled does not at all gaurantee prisoners and patients get food or water.  I don't know if it's a bug or just bad design but it's very rare that that kind of job actually happens.  It helps a little if you have a well right next to the hospital/jail but there's pretty much nothing you can do in the end.  Monitor the dwarves, if there is no ACTUAL injury remaining, yet they still rest(which happens a fair bit) deconstruct their bed and they will go get a drink for themselves.
btw, I assume you knew this, but injured dwarves need water not booze.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Baotiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »

Nope. 2 months have passed by and they're generating more stockpile jobs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »

You did save changes after disabling the hauling labors in DT, right?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Baotiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »

Of course. But I just decided to deal with it.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:39:10 am »

There is some sort of buggy behavior with how dwarves decide which jobs to do next. It's very hard to narrow down exactly what is going wrong but I think it's something to do with hauling and other low priority jobs. You see this pop up in the forums over and over and over again. Injured dwarves that aren't getting medical attention while literally dozens of dwarves with the proper labors activated sit around with nothing to do. In my case I have wonky stuff going on with dwarves simply ignoring certain hauling jobs. I have some unforbidden ore and goblinite that has sat around for over a year with over half of my dwarves idle for extended periods of time because there is nothing else for them to do yet regardless of how many free dwarves I have and the fact that 90% of them have hauling enabled I still have the same cursed bits of goblinite and mined ore that I can't get them to interact with.

To answer your original question, storing items is defined under a few different labors. Basically all of the labors listed with "hauling" in their title fall into this category. Just make sure you leave the feed patients/prisoners labor activated.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:07:54 am by Melting Sky »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:55:19 am »

I have some unforbidden ore and goblinite that has sat around for over a year with over half of my dwarves idle for extended periods of time because there is nothing else for them to do yet regardless of how many free dwarves I have and the fact that 90% of them have hauling enabled I still have the same cursed bits of goblinite and mined ore that I can't get them to interact with.

That's bizarre.  I have the exact opposite problem -- my dwarves would rather gather goblin socks than do pretty much any other job.

I have removed all the potential hauling jobs in dwarf therapist but dwarves are still storing item to stockpile. What do?

For me, this most often happens when a dwarf has been drinking, and still has the booze barrel in their possession.  They'll always do a "Store item in stockpile" job to return the barrel, even with all hauling disabled.

This leads one to wonder why they have a barrel, when they are nowhere near the booze stockpile.  Very often this happens with my bookkeeper -- he'll get a drink, then charge back to his office to update the records, forgetting even to drop the barrel.  Then later he'll catch up on his bookkeeping, realize he's still got a barrel of booze in his hand ("Now how did that get there?"), and return it to the stockpile.  I suspect a few other super-high-priority jobs can also cause this, but that's the only one I've observed repeatedly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:00:15 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz