Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Generate a Good Fort Mode World  (Read 1067 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
How To Generate a Good Fort Mode World
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »

So, I got into fort mode lately. However, every time I generate a world to use for fortress mode, I tend to get aquifers. EVERY FRICKIN WHERE. Except for things like scorching haunted deserts.

Is there a good way to reduce aquifer count?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: How To Generate a Good Fort Mode World
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »

You could always turn it off, yo.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:49 pm »

Change the setting in the init files? If your talking about advanced world generation idk. Otherwise maybe just embark on mountain sides next to the desired biome.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »

"By editing the raws and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from all of the appropriate entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt it is possible to remove all aquifers from the world. This can be done before creating a new world or after, if you find a particularly neat location ruined only by the presence of an aquifer. In order to modify an existing world, you must delete the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws in the savegame's folder.

Find the files in Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects (new world) or Dwarf Fortress/data/save/regionNN/raw/objects (already saved world).

Open the three files with a text editor (e.g. Notepad). (inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt)

Use Edit->Replace, and replace [AQUIFER] with (AQUIFER). (Use 'Replace All').

To restore the tags later, do the same in reverse. (Replacing (AQUIFER) with [AQUIFER]). " -- http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer#The_modding_method
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

Huh. Pretty sweet.

Thanks guys!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

thehman03

• Bay Watcher
  • Some cats just wanna watch the world lag.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:06:12 pm »

Only pansies turn off aquifer. Get dorfy adventure skrub.  ;)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:29 pm »

aquifers aren't that bad, try getting through them rather than taking the easy way out!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:26:59 pm »

How does anybody manage without an aquifer? Admittedly they can be a bit awkward if there are thralls breathing (or not, as the case may be) down your neck, and you're doing a single-pick challenge or forgot to pack a pile of alunite or something, but outside of that they're incredibly convenient sources of infinite water, power, and fun. What's not to love?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »

Only pansies turn off aquifer. Get dorfy adventure skrub.  ;)

I am a big fan of design, and I don't want my circular fortress to have a big impenetrable water lump inside it (Because I'm not good at getting through aquifers lol)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:02:23 am »

Aquifers just annoy me, so I always turn them off :)

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:45 am »

I always turn off aquifers because I rarely use wells, and when I do, it's easier to get the water from ponds/caverns compared to the hassle of punching through the aquifer.
Also, I wouldn't know what to do with the hydraulic power. I like my pumpstacks dwarf-powered and use querns (and not mills).
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:37 am »

Aquifiers can be incredibly useful, but if you're just trying to build a fort without any fancy water-related design, they're just a waste of a layer.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:17:43 pm »

How does anybody manage without an aquifer? Admittedly they can be a bit awkward if there are thralls breathing (or not, as the case may be) down your neck, and you're doing a single-pick challenge or forgot to pack a pile of alunite or something, but outside of that they're incredibly convenient sources of infinite water, power, and fun. What's not to love?

Awkward, but not really hard even then, unless you have no dry soil above it at all. See this post and the next one in the single-pick challenge thread. I also referenced that in the Aquifer:how to get past it? thread just a week ago. Using 2z of dry soil to get through 2z of aquifer is easy and above all SAFE even in terrifying biomes, and doesn't require bringing anything else than a pick (and preferably a miner with 5 skill) on embark. 1z of soil or a 1z/3z aquifer may be riskier or take longer.