Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Antherea, a World Building/Game Project  (Read 5794 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Antherea, a World Building/Game Project
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »

always wanted to post this in this forum because i feel it is my most ambicious project right now, been developing it from several years ago, it is supposed to be my greatest creation, at least, if i can get to make it to its trully end of course. so, lets start it shall we?

What is Antherea?

Antherea has been in development for like, since i was in high school as far as i can remember, it started like with any teenage project, a short story about heroes and that stuff, mixing several concepts (anime, fantasy, even speculative evolution too). eventually in time it has been improved beyond the scope conceptually, following my academic development in the needed areas, it is meant as a hobby and a main project which i want to complete. part of my developments revolve about it, and is the main reason for choosing a career in multimedia engineering in college, i should be structuring some prototypes once i have finished to learn computer graphics at least.

for now the project lives in the form of concept art and documents, but the long (a really long) term plan is to take it to full development, once i have got the resources and time to do it.

at its core Antherea is a game, which tries to get as realistic as possible, a virtual universe so to speak, and it goes against most of the current game developments in the industry, going instead for a more niche place, i dont think i'll ever monetize from it, and as such is planned to remain as a domestic and free game, unless i find the means to get it to run for profits. buts originally the idea is to make a game that suits me and anyone who may be looking for something like it.

the premises of Antherea go around 4 bases:

-story and worldbuilding
-deep character development
-interesting and complex gameplay
-a simulation as realistic as possible

The Setting:

Antherea is both a worldbuilding and a game in process, it spans a universe where magic exists, and the universe is divided in two planes, the main story occurs in one of the many galaxies that exist in it, on a planet called Antherea, the historical timeline of it spans as far as 800.000 years before the current events, in which many civilizations have existed and fallen, with the current races being the descendants of these original ancestors. the planet spans many nations, from powerfull and ancient kingdoms and empires, to nascent republics and federations, which are jumping into a technological advancement in both magical and conventional methods, space travel included in this.

Antherea spans many themes, from fantasy, to steampunk, space opera, speculative evolution and speculative history. with some references to literature and some videogames. but trying to be as original as possible.

The Universe:

the universe of Antherea is defined by two important features, the first one is magic, it is a 5th fundamental force in the universe, which is related to the dinamics of change in matter and energy, along with the other fundamental forces. the second feature is a that the universe is dual, it is composed of two interconnected planes, the first one is the Empirion, the plane of the physical, it is a plane where magic has a less powerfull influence respect to the other forces, and where the players live their mortal lifes. the second plane is the Onirion, the plane of the ethereal, magic here dinamically alters the dinamics of the universe in heavy degree, and is home to many supernatural entities, players are sent here for their afterlife. Onirion and Empirion contribute one another, throught the interchange of magic, matter and energy via black and white holes.

About Magic:

as it was mentioned, magic is not the typical stuff seen in other games or stories where it just spans stuff out of nothing, magic in Antherea makes part of the 5 fundamental forces, magic alters the dynamics of the other 4 in order to allow the manipulation of the physical laws, matter and energy. but in order to reach this, mortals have to train their minds for it requires strong mental power. the game wont make use of the typical mana bar which restores after a time, player characters will have to meditate before or make use of certain potions in order to recharge the required mental power in order to cast their spells, and even then, some of them have to be channeled for a time before being executed. or require some sort of material for canalization.

The World:

in this case world refers to the playabe universe, the game spans a single galaxy(which doesnt has a name for now), with thousands of stars and millions of planets and other astronomical bodies. players will be able to explore the galaxy and uncover some secrets regarding its current state in the future, but the main story is around the Antherean System, which not only includes Antherea, but also its twin planet, Cea, which was transformed into a barren wasteland. the other planets and moons of the system will be present too, but Antherea is the main point of start for players.

About Planet Antherea:

map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About Planet Cea:

the map:

About Player Characters:

the game features several races to choose, each race is unique in appearance and traits for the most part, and each one has a deep background defined both by historical antecedents and evolutionary development in some cases. players dont have limitants in how they want to build their character, as each individual is a blank book at the start, players will determine their attributes and other personal stuff in order to make them more customized. each race has physical traits that can be changed, from skin color to sexual display or body modifications(piercings, tattoos, etcetera).

About the Races:

About Character Attributes:

like in all RPG inspired games, player characters will have a set of attributes that they can invest on, no race has predefined attributes, its up to the player to decide how they want to build their avatars, the only difference between races being unique racial habilities and physical appearance. there are 5 attributes planned which are

About Racial Traits:

first of all i clarify that these are experimental and maybe subject to change, but i think it fit both lorewise and gameplay wise. for now the idea is that lineage based races have two traits, while the rest have only one, im still figuring out another secondary trait for those outside of the group of course. the idea is that races have a passive racial and and active one. anyways:

About Character Statistics:

unlike in other online games, Antherea tries to simulate a more realistic approach in gameplay mechanics, in the case of Character and NPC stats, it is ruled by a set of statistics and bars. some of them can be related to the traditional RPGs and MMOs, while others come from other places.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
will be posting more stuff as time progresses, all the races have been added, next on the list should be more detail in gameplay mechanics
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:34:21 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antherea, a World Building/Game Project
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:16 am »

gave a facelift to the thread, as im reorganizing the project, im trying to keep it up with updates at least. now with some concept art
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:35:38 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »

BUMP

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:05:50 pm »

just a quick update, i'd like to get some feedback according to the current story, is it cohesive enough?, should i change it?, i'd like to know what the community thinks

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:02 am »

This looks cool, magic and sci-fi elements coexisting is always fun.  I like how you used extinct hominids as the base for the alternate humans.  Might I suggest the inclusion of a race based off of Paranthropus robustus as the 'strong, stout, and primitive' archetype?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:28 pm »

This looks cool, magic and sci-fi elements coexisting is always fun.  I like how you used extinct hominids as the base for the alternate humans.  Might I suggest the inclusion of a race based off of Paranthropus robustus as the 'strong, stout, and primitive' archetype?

the idea was to have 3 different archetypes for each main lineage, i dont know if i would be able to add more races as i have already worked into the timeline.

sorry for the lack of updates but have been working more before updating the thread. no its not dead...

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:40:57 pm »

the OP doesnt allow more and it seems i reached the character limit with this so:

Historical Timeline:(Part 1)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »

Historical Timeline(Part 2):

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:34:53 am by xaritscin »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »

"Eiven" No prizes for guessing what that name is based on... :D

Looks cool, xaritscin.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »

"Eiven" No prizes for guessing what that name is based on... :D

Looks cool, xaritscin.

yeah its part of the many references and inspirations....

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:29:18 pm »

in order to keep going with the historical stuff i think im gonna put a country showcase or something. lets start with one of the most known nations.

Country Showcase

-The Sadharian Empire:

the Sadharian Empire is a 10.000 years old imperial theocracy goberned by an emperor (have to find a good regional title). as it is decree of the law the emperor is born from one of several noble families after a competence where intellect, physical hability and magical prowess is strictly evaluated.

a theology council evaluates the participants and declares the winner. the rest of the participants get to work as viziers and other administrative titles. but most of the decisions are done by the emperor itself, which has political and religious power.

the empire worships an entity known as A'shir, which according to their holy codex was contacted by whom would become the first emperor. the contact with this being lead to the discovery of magics by the Sadhari tribes. which started a war for liberty against the old kingdom of Na'hasher.

for the Sadharians, A'shir gave them the means to fight against opression, one specially, the religious opression of the Na'hasher overlords who worshipped the archaic gods who once roamed the world.

in the wake of this beliefs, the Sadharian empire is nor fanatical nor exclusive, its preciselly this fight against opression that has motivated many of the humanist movements in history, from the prohibition of slavery to female rights.

geographically speaking, the empire is located in a expansive desert which collides with mountains at the north allowing for more fertile lands among the hills. at the south extends a large sandsea which collides with the sea. the central desert is a mix between soil and sand, with the usual oasis or river. it is also a region with plenty of acuifers.

in modern times, Sadharia is an arcanotech powerhouse. having invented crystal technology and shard based computation (memory crystals, computers, holospheres, etcetera). this economical might have allowed to modify the desert to their desires (much like real life dubai). regions like the Grey Desert and the imperial capital make up for the most complex cities in the world. with the imperial capital of Karkun being constructed in a region previously deserted. now converted into an inverted "atlantis", with large water rings dividing the districts and providing nourishment to the plants and farms of the megalopolis.

the outer districts are mostly dedicated to agriculture, from them, goes low class families, then medium, then the nobles, the second to last ring contains the commercial district and the last one is dedicated to the imperial facilities. at the center of the city lies the main structure. the imperial palace. which not only serves as the seat of power of the emperor, but also as the main religious structure and arcanical generator, which powers the entire city with the help of peripherial nodes and crystal obelisks.

Sadharian education is teached by priests which are specially trained to teach knowledge of all kinds, not only religion, but also pure sciences like mathematics and physics. natural sciences and the most important for the empire, arcane sciences.

the main institutions of the empire are the Theology Council, the Imperial Academy, the Imperial Administration and the Imperial Military.

the main exportations of the empire are spices, fish, some few dairy products and crystal components, being quartz their most important export.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:06 pm »

-The Republic of Turania:

connecting Sadharia with the west hesperos countries lies the Republic of Turania. formerly known as the kingdom of Bizantinopla, the country was first founded by the balkanians during the ancient times. the country was later annexed by the Elatrians during the expansion of the Elatrian Empire, Bizantinopla was the last remaining region belonging to the empire prior to the conquest of the Sadharian Empire during the middle ages.

it was also the center of the political agreement between the western kingdoms and the empire during the events of the undead plague. gaining recognition as a multiracial and multicultural realm. althought it never got to colonize regions of the new world, Bizantinopla was one of the participants of the trading agreement, and got a good amount of wealth interchanging goods from all around the old world and the new world.

before its conversion from monarchy to republic, Bizantinopla was controled by a sultanate, who had ties to the Sadharian Emperor. as such the kingdom was mostly a pseudoindependent realm inside Sadharia. with the wake of the revolutionists all around the world, a separatists group claimed for the right of Bizantinopla to become an independent country. this exploded into war during the last parts of the 1800 and early into the 1900.

in order to evade a further calamity, the Sadharian Empire decided to sign the act of independency of Bizantinopla. the Sultan's family was moved to Sadharia to work in administrative duties and a president was elected by the people of Bizantinopla. changing to the modern Republic of Turania.

like Sadharia, Turania has a good share in the market of arcanotechnical devices, but complements with normal machinery. its relations with the Federal Republic of Doneu has given it an important place in the manufacturing of walking machines.

Turania houses many religions due to its multicultural state, from ancient paganism to modern church, to sadharian religion. it serves as a trading point between the more mechanical countries of the west and the magic based empire at the east.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 11:38:33 am »

-The Republic of Balkania:

one of the most ancient human founded civilizations. founder of most of western culture like democracy, philosophy, science and arts.
originally a group of city states around the Balkan Peninsula, the Balkanian City States both fought between them and against common enemies, althought keeping a sort of unified culture among themselves.

such was their cultural prowess that even when assimilated by the Elatrian Empire, the empire itself adopted practically the whole Balkanian knowledge.

during the middle ages the peninsula was a choke point between the Sadharian Empire and the western kingdoms, as Bizantinopla had been taken by the empire's expansion.

the modern republic appeared only recently, just a few years earlier than the Turanian Republic.

like all western republics, Balkania is an important manufacturer of mechanical parts. however, most of the economy of the country comes in the form of tourism and trade. with a large part of sea it also generates a good income in the fishing market. it is also an important area of study for archaeologists.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 01:16:32 am »

-The Republic of Elatria:

once the most powerfull human founded empire in history. Elatria is a neighboring nation located west of Balkania, during the ancient era, Elatria grew as a strong republic, both in economy and military. after dominating the whole of its peninsula the nation expanded conquering the neighboring civilizations and converting to a massive empire, rivalling the might of the Sadharians themselves.

the Elatrian Empire ruled for centuries all around the western part of Hesperos, with only the Sadharians on the south as their rival, and trading with the eastern dynasties. however, on its final days the empire had been prey to internal conflict, generations of prosperity gave rise to lazy rulers and greedy aristocrats who preferred to waste resources for their own pleasure and enjoyed the game of backstabbing. this, summed with the hordes of barbarians both of humand and valiokan kind proved to be a killing blow for the stability of the empire.

the Elatrian Empire was divided in two in order to help secure the territories, but the gradual decay eventually won and the empire dissolved. both sides dissolving into feudal kingdoms. the elatrian peninsula reverted itself to the same city states that ruled before the coming of the republic, warring themselves for dominance.

the city states remained separated during much of the modern history, until the coming of Alessander Fainelo. son of the di'Pietri family, the young boy gained recognition for its charisma and cunning intelligence. by the time he had reached adulthood he had gained enough favor from the people to become doge of Imperia, his city of origin.

an enthusiast of history, the young doge dreamed of a unified peninsula and set a series of campaigns on the neighbouring city states. being Triforte and Panteona the first ones to annex, Automaccia and Giacoma joined only due to economical benefit and the last one, Montoblanco, required a military intervention.

the unification took most of the life of the doge, who edicted the creation of a constitution, bringing the era of the second and current republic. like it was done in eras passed. Elatria became a parlamentary government administrated by a senate but with a prime minister for international meetings.

like with Balkania, Elatria has a good foot in industry, trade and tourism. fishing and agriculture make another part of its incomes and it contains the seat of power of the church, giving it a holy reputation.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 01:28:38 pm »

-The Republic of Iffelia:

the birthplace of the first civil rights. Iffelia have had a long history of conflict before reaching its current state

like all the western kingdoms, Iffelia was inhabited by tribes of "barbarians", most of them being annexed to the Elatrian Empire, with the exception of one powerfull tribe known as the Goudixians who had a primitive(althought powerfull) lvl of magical prowess. conflict between the Goudixians and the Elatrians let a heavy toll on the regiments living in the Iffelia. and as such the emperor deemed better to let the barbarians go on with their lives instead of wasting resources in a neverending conflict.

after the fall of the empire the Goudixians became the most powerfull entity in the territory but was only one of many fragmented feuds inside the country. the internal realms of the region fought between them for dominance. this was before the Baltican raids into the country who razed many of the lands on the northeast, and the invasion of the north by the Albienians. in the wake of an Albienan dominance around the country the small feuds united under the banner of Iffelix I, leader of the Gaudixians who managed the campaign against the Albienans.

after the retaking of the occupied territories, Iffelix I united the nation as a single cohesive faction named after him. thus giving rise to the kingdom of Iffelia. he was the first king in adopting the church of the illuminated one. and receiving the boon of the pope.

his dinasty would end later. and after centuries of different rulers, Iffelia falled to a revolutionary movement who shaked the bases of the monarchy system.

during the ages of anarchy the country was ruled by temporal leaders, but most of them were killed by the uncontrollable people. this was until the coming of a military leader, general Antoine Delacroix who took control of the country via military might. after a long campaign of pression against rebellion, Iffelia was united by the military leader who in vision of the more organized times decided to settle a meeting for the creation of a constitution and the conversion of the country to a republic. Delacroix became the first president of the newly founded Republic of Iffelia on 1870.

since then the country has grown economically and at a social level. the ideals of liberty and equality have received good eyes from the nations of the new world most of whom gave their help in order to rebuild the country after years of internal conflict. the Sadharian Empire has a trading partnership with the Iffelians. due to this Iffelia has a good foot on the arcanotechnical market. althought most of its economy is still mechanical based.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4