Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse issues and jobs not executed  (Read 1156 times)

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse issues and jobs not executed
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »

Long time since I played this game.

I've tried to make work of the minecart QSP, couldn't make it at first but now they seem to work, mostly. I had a particular strange QSP that was set to store furniture, finished goods and various other items, but NOT food. However, all the food was stored there.
I deconstructed everything and set it up completely new again, which seems to work now. Same with the corresponding food stockpile.
Then I turned to my refuse QSP that worked by throwing stuff down a couple of z-levels. I couldn't make it work that the refuse didn't hit constantly dwarves (or cats) so I set that up again as well in a same level setup.

That worked at first but now it's all falling apart again. The refuse gets ignored everywhere, they don't even load the feeder stockpile any more. And the cut down trees task I issued isn't executed either. And I have a moody dwarf who's waiting for bones - there's a pile of bones lying in the QSP but he's not touching it.

I checked practically everything, burrow restrictions, tried dumping and reclaiming, slaughtering a fresh animal. And about that chop tree job I have no clue either.
Any ideas?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse issues and jobs not executed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »

How many wood cutters do you have? Are any injured or otherwise indisposed? Do they have axes?

What happens if you make a new refuse pile in a completely different area?

Do you have an alert turned on by accident under the military menu? If your refuse pile is outside with the trees then perhaps there is an alert that is keeping your dwarves inside. Do you have loads of job cancellation spam?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:50:29 pm by Melting Sky »

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »

Ugh, it's so embarrassing...

I do have regularly issues with refuse stuff but this time I floored off the only staircase to the levels that were in question. Meanwhile, the dwarves were having a party at the microcline table...

Project Magma pump can commence, soon.

BTW, is there a way to have the output stockpiles of minecart QSP give to other stopckpiles?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:09:43 pm »

BTW, is there a way to have the output stockpiles of minecart QSP give to other stopckpiles?

Assuming your minecart QSP is a minecart dumping onto the right kind of stockpile, you can just set normal give links from the MQSP to any other stockpiles. Kinda defeats the point of it being a QSP unless it's a sorting system. Although even in that case I usually have 1 general stockpile and then QSPs for the specific sorted outputs (e.g. nethercap/weight/color sorts for wood).

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:05:00 am »

Assuming your minecart QSP is a minecart dumping onto the right kind of stockpile, you can just set normal give links from the MQSP to any other stockpiles. Kinda defeats the point of it being a QSP unless it's a sorting system. Although even in that case I usually have 1 general stockpile and then QSPs for the specific sorted outputs (e.g. nethercap/weight/color sorts for wood).

Yeah, sorting is what I want. I tried that but couldn't make it work with links. I must be doing something different with the setup of the QSPs maybe.
I don't want to go back to bins and barrels, practically all fortressess I built finally choked on mittens and misplaced items and job cancellations in the wake of a massive clusterf*ck of logistic complexity.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10:42 pm »

I'll try and keep this short/clear...

Stockpile A is the general stockpile, takes from anywhere, takes e.g. all wood. It has give links to stockpiles B1, B2, ..., Bn (where n is an integer). This is the step you'll most likely have wheelbarrows on, if the item type in question is heavy (mostly stone, but e.g. metal furniture may qualify).

B1, B2, ..., Bn thus each take from A. (These should be a few tiles in size to allow for smooth loading into minecarts in the next step.) The trick is that the B stockpiles each only take 1 type/color/density/whatever of wood. Wheelbarrows are a possibility. These can be either take only from links or take from anywhere.

Next you setup the QSP by building a dumping track stop for each B-stockpile, and define a minecart route with 1 stop on said track stop. Add a minecart to the stop. Remove all commands from the stop. Add the correct B-stockpile as a source stockpile. You can set desired items as e.g. all wood types, since the filtering has already been done at this point.

Then you setup the final quantum stockpiles, which we'll call C1, C2, ..., Cn for consistency's sake. They're each only 1 tile in size (no wheelbarrows!) and are dumped onto by minecarts (=located next to the track stops). Again, the sorting has already been done, so you can just enable all wood. However, I would recommend that the C stockpiles have "take only from links" and have no links, to stop dwarves from manually hauling something there if/when it's empty. Another option is to have the C stockpiles only accept the item that you want in each, so even if there are filtering errors earlier in the process, any stray wood that shouldn't be on the QSP should get carried back to A or B.

Note that the B stockpiles are not absolutely necessary, you can set the filtering by specifying the desired items for each minecart stop. I just included it as an intermediary step for an attempt at clarity.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:39:06 am »

I'll try and keep this short/clear...

Stockpile A is the general stockpile, takes from anywhere, takes e.g. all wood. It has give links to stockpiles B1, B2, ..., Bn (where n is an integer). This is the step you'll most likely have wheelbarrows on, if the item type in question is heavy (mostly stone, but e.g. metal furniture may qualify).

B1, B2, ..., Bn thus each take from A. (These should be a few tiles in size to allow for smooth loading into minecarts in the next step.) The trick is that the B stockpiles each only take 1 type/color/density/whatever of wood. Wheelbarrows are a possibility. These can be either take only from links or take from anywhere.

Next you setup the QSP by building a dumping track stop for each B-stockpile, and define a minecart route with 1 stop on said track stop. Add a minecart to the stop. Remove all commands from the stop. Add the correct B-stockpile as a source stockpile. You can set desired items as e.g. all wood types, since the filtering has already been done at this point.

Then you setup the final quantum stockpiles, which we'll call C1, C2, ..., Cn for consistency's sake. They're each only 1 tile in size (no wheelbarrows!) and are dumped onto by minecarts (=located next to the track stops). Again, the sorting has already been done, so you can just enable all wood. However, I would recommend that the C stockpiles have "take only from links" and have no links, to stop dwarves from manually hauling something there if/when it's empty. Another option is to have the C stockpiles only accept the item that you want in each, so even if there are filtering errors earlier in the process, any stray wood that shouldn't be on the QSP should get carried back to A or B.

Note that the B stockpiles are not absolutely necessary, you can set the filtering by specifying the desired items for each minecart stop. I just included it as an intermediary step for an attempt at clarity.

Thanks, I tried to have the QSP stockpiles give which didn't work. A Minecart sorter as an in-between step is an elegant solution!