Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SPQR - A Hardcore Mod for Rome Total War  (Read 3452 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
SPQR - A Hardcore Mod for Rome Total War
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:17:35 am »

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?220659-The-SPQR-Index

I just tried this mod out today the old classic Rome Total War. Very nice. But tough. Real tough. You definitely need to consider your tactics carefully. It is pretty much finished as of 2011, developed up to version 8, and basically bug free.

The campaign map has been expanded in size to give more detail, and turns now only take a month or so I think instead of half a year. Upkeep costs for troops are lower, and you are regularly going to be smashing 4000, 5000 troop armies together. Right from the start you are pitted up against the invasion of Hannibal to the south with his elephants, and also the Gauls to the north.

Battles now take much longer. Two units fighting eachother, if equal in strength and with nothing else getting in the way, might be able to keep going for five or even ten minutes. Longer battles and some rebalancing of unit strengths and weaknesses means it is now much more important to know your tactics.

Anybody else tried this mod out?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR - A Hardcore Mod for Rome Total War
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:34 am »

This looks really good. Gonna give it a try when I get some time to play.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:22 am »

One of the few on my list I haven't tried out. How does the economy compare to Europa Barbarorum, I wonder?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:03 am »

One of the few on my list I haven't tried out. How does the economy compare to Europa Barbarorum, I wonder?

Yeah do wonder how it compares to EB. That is my favorite rtw mod I tried.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:53:14 am »

Yeah, EB is one of a few mods that flesh out my favorite faction, the cheaty Russian horse archers.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

Yeah, EB is one of a few mods that flesh out my favorite faction, the cheaty Russian horse archers.

Yeah eb has tons of good factions. My favorites were Seleucid, Parthia and...sebs? Sarbs?...the Numidian guys. That start so hard but lots of fun...rely on skirmishers.

Guess from reading only faction worth playing in this mod posted is romans and that is it. Which romans are really epic...but I prefer playing more factions.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »

Yeah eb has tons of good factions. My favorites were Seleucid, Parthia and...sebs? Sarbs?...the Numidian guys. That start so hard but lots of fun...rely on skirmishers.

Guess from reading only faction worth playing in this mod posted is romans and that is it. Which romans are really epic...but I prefer playing more factions.
Yeah, that's really why I haven't played this yet. I have Roma Surrectum for my romans, but I really prefer the Sarmatians.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

Yeah, that's really why I haven't played this yet. I have Roma Surrectum for my romans, but I really prefer the Sarmatians.

Sarmatia...I never did try that one in EB. I will have to install it again. Reading about them in EB mod makes them sound epic...and challenging :D actually sounds like a great faction.

And as for SPQR...prob just pass on it. Seems better choices out there. The battles sound cool, but seems that is the only focus. Prob some around here may like it though.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:49:35 pm »

The way Sarmatians work is mostly just a bit strange. You see, their available troops include light horse archers with knives, heavy dual-purpose cavalry with lances, foot archers, and sometimes light expendable spearmen. Generally, if you're in melee combat as Sarmatia, you're doing things wrong. Playing Sarmatia requires lots of knowledge of how arrows work, and your main strategy will probably be to ride around the enemy, fill them with holes, then charge them from behind with heavy cavalry to break them once they've been demoralized and cut apart. You benefit from having some of the fastest units available, which means your units can almost always stay out of range of enemy infantry and even cavalry, and you really should do so. Also, they live on snowy steppes, so they tend to take a lot of management to make economically viable.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:06:10 am »

I think one of the differences is that Barbarorum started out with a bunch of history people wanting a more realistic depiction of the "barbarian" teams, and when the developers werent forthcoming they decided to go ahead and do that themselves. SPQR is more aimed at enhanced tactics and giving you the full roman legionare experience than realistically depicting everything about the ancient world. So for example, Barbarorum adds new races, and even splits the gaul faction in two, while SPQR will focus more on altering the Roman side.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.