Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shows where Monster of the Week was Better then plot  (Read 2577 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shows where Monster of the Week was Better then plot
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:51:24 am »

So I was thinking...

Often in TV shows there comes a time where the plot comes to a screeching halt and all that seems to occur is another monster, another alien, and the show's arc is mostly just one random monster after the other. You just want the story to continue and yet all this meaningless filler is getting in the way.

Yet every once in a while you get a show where the filler "Monster of the week" stuff manages to be more engaging and interesting then the actual plot!

Some examples

-Witch Hunter Robin (Anime): The anime mostly plays out as a sort of cop detective show where they need to track down supernaturally capable felons and stop them. Often delving into their minds and how they do things. This was actually the best the show got, the anime later just ends up being "How Witch Hunter Robin turned super Saiyan".

-X-files (Live action): Honestly part of me feels like this is what the show was always supposed to be like. Detectives investigating the supernatural that was largely unknown to them. Now I know that once the plot got going it was incredibly stupid, but I almost feel like no matter how good the plot was, the show always felt like it was meant to be episodic with maybe a hidden arc going in the background if you pay attention.

Yet I would like to know... are there other shows where the "Monster of the week" was genuinely the most interesting part of the show?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shows where Monster of the Week was Better then plot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:39:51 am »

Some episodes of Supernatural.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:35 am »

Charmed. Plotline got overly complicated after a few seasons, like a Whedon-lite.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:23:31 pm »

Grimm has it's share of monsters of the week. Some more interesting than the developing plot in the background foreground.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:27:52 pm »

The original Slayers anime, with the possible exception of season 2.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:49 pm »

Technically not a monster and also reversed, but this is never true of the Pokemon anime, which I flicked on regularly for some weird reason last summer. Like 75% of the episodes involve the characters bumping into random other people on the road. Nothing happens in these episodes, they just chat or fight or team up to accomplish next to nothing or whatever. The "characters of the day/week/episode" themselves tend to be annoyingly (choose one):
[]Ignorant
[]Happy-go-Lucky
[]Etc.

My two cents there.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:50:30 pm »

Megas XLR, at least to me.
Don't know quite ho to put it, but yeah, the MOW's were all really interesting and funny, while the plot just kind of was there, I guess, and more often than not the monster ha nothing to do with the plot at all. The Monsters of the Week were the best part of the show to me. One of the recuring villians was a floating head with tiny arms named Magnamomous voiced by Bruce Campbell, who also had a mech armed with a chainsaw and shotgun.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »

Buffy, obviously. Then again, "plot" in Buffy meant Monster of the Season. Sometimes there wasn't even a monster, just a wacky supernatural shenanigan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »

This perfectly describes Attack on Titan. Literally every main character in that show was on my "please get eaten by Titans" list because they were constantly acting like a bunch of gossiping screaming 12-year-olds. The monster/combat scenes are really awesome though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 04:17:41 pm »

Merlin.  It's got some overarching plot, but mostly it's good for monster-of-the-week episodal things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 05:03:27 pm »

-X-files (Live action): Honestly part of me feels like this is what the show was always supposed to be like. Detectives investigating the supernatural that was largely unknown to them. Now I know that once the plot got going it was incredibly stupid, but I almost feel like no matter how good the plot was, the show always felt like it was meant to be episodic with maybe a hidden arc going in the background if you pay attention.

X-files was supposed to be monster of the week.  The meta-plot was just an asspull they invented towards the end of season 1 because Gillian got pregnant and they wanted to explain where she went.  William B. Davis was originally cast as an extra and he went on to be the center of like half the plot because he was the only character they had already established who they could use in that episode.  They just kept making it up as they went along from there without any planning ahead ever.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:05:18 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

Samurai Jack was monster of the week.
And it works beautifully.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »

In hindsight I'd say Lost was a show that had some pretty entertaining individual episodes with what turned out was a pretty dumb overall plot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »

This right here. There's always that underlying awareness of the plot, but it's really about the episodic format, the art, and the characters, all of which are superb.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:56:52 pm »

This right here. There's always that underlying awareness of the plot, but it's really about the episodic format, the art, and the characters, all of which are superb.

Though I will say unlike the vast majority of shows of this type... Samurai Jack did keep continuity with itself.

It was genuinely interesting when he would bring a skill he only used in one episode, into another.
Pages: [1] 2