Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This game just gets cooler with each passing second...  (Read 1585 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
This game just gets cooler with each passing second...
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:35:50 pm »

So I have this stonecrafter by the same of Udil Vutokrinal. I just figured out how to engrave walls (gotta smooth them first :P) and he has since spent his time engraving various parts of my fortress. He appears to have an extensive knowledge of a region of the world called "The Jungle of Moths," as most of his engravings revolve around events that took place there, going as far back as 97 in a 1050 year old world. It turns out that most of those are rather grizzly images of battles, elves killing and devouring humans, bronze colossi killing dwarves, dwarves being killed by humans, and the like. Every event engraved has happened in The Jungle of Moths.

Udil also has an odd fixation on his Goddess, Tobul, for whom he has made many works including ones where she strikes a pose, one where she's showing off to a bunch of other dwarves, and one where she is screaming.

I just got into fortress mode and wowee, is this interesting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:43:53 pm by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: This game just gets cooler with each passing second...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »

Your fortress is located in the Jungle of Moths, and so many of the engravings will reflect local history.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 03:44:08 am »

If you so desire, you can view the world's history in Legends Mode, which will explain a lot more.

If you wish to do so for your current world, make a copy of the save and abandon the fort in it first.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:44:36 pm »

When I try to get friends to play this game I tell them of such tales and I see a glimmer of light in their eye's. It's a shame they seem to busy playing the latest FPS to give it a go. The layers of abstraction and beauty cant be fully explained in one sitting. Enjoy there are many more wonders to come.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:33 pm »

As you learn more and more about DF, more and more about DF  will open itself to you until you have unparalleled freedom to any other game. DF sets about to create worlds full of stories, it accomplishes it rather well.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:18:14 pm »

Your fortress is located in the Jungle of Moths, and so many of the engravings will reflect local history.
is that necessarily true?  I thought that they engraved significant events from a wide range of areas.  They certainly seem to in my forts.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »

Engravings only detail events which the engraver knows about, and most of the time, they'll only know about the area they grew up in, which will frequently be the surrounding area.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:48:50 pm »

It's a shame they seem to busy playing the latest FPS to give it a go.
Precisely how you read that acronym tells a lot about how deeply you've been sucked into this game.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.