Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?  (Read 12352 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 03:20:15 pm »

I can't seem to get it to work either way.
It always gets to placing civilizations and then rejects it.
EDIT: Never mind that, one of them *finally* worked. Time to see if anything actually happened here, or if everyone just dug down near the magma sea and lit barrels of fat on fire to keep warm.
EDIT2: Somehow none of my race appeared. It's just DWARVES. Gonna try Adventure and see if I can roll one with my race.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

For your frozen embark there is no need to setup a meeting hall.  Get your miner(s) digging and as soon as you have a bit of room underground designate that space as a burrow and then trigger a civilian alert that restricts them to that burrow.  They will all rush inside, meeting zone or not.  you might consider seting up pastures for your draft animals in the first few underground tiles as soon as your miner clears them out along with a dump zone and designate critical supplies from the wagon for dumping to get them indoors.  Realy theres no reason you couldnt have everybody inside in less time than it takes for your miner to dig 20 tiles. you'll just have to accept the fact that some stuff will be abandond on the surface.

if you have multipul miners you can reduce the luck of the draw factor for finding caverns by haveing them spread out and dig 1x1 shafts of updown stairs.  7 dwarves spread out 10-15 tiles appart in a loose grid would need insanely bad luck to miss all the caverns on the way down.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »

If you could do a community fort in one of these worlds, that would be amazing. I think I might try it with my imps, as they are both heat- and cold-proof.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »

I seriously can't get worlds that are too hot to actually work.
I'll see if adding an all-terrain crop would work. I assume the set temp thing will apply to crops, as it works on Nether-cap.
I'm using the permanent temperature thing a lot.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 08:01:12 pm »

So after finding a good embark (an ocean with a few copper-type ores, coal, and a tiny corner of tundra with no aquifer), I accidentally normal-embarked as dwarves. I landed on the tundra, as I had selected the tundra in embark. I quickly dug down to below where the ocean froze (~3z down), and made a burrow, meeting area, and pen in a 5x5 hole. I got everyone and all my animals down, the only injury being some frostbitten teeth. I think this is a pretty awesome, thing, as I have food for a while. I dug down to the caverns and got my dwarves to cutting trees and digging some workshops an quarters. I don't know how migrants are going to get in. I might autodump their corpses down to my dwarves if they can't get in.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:41 pm »

@The
What temperature settings did you use for the parameters?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:32 pm »

The minimum, -1000. At least, that as far down as I could get it to go.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 08:31:52 pm »

I tried that and it said it couldn't place controllable civilizations.
It won't place my race that, due to ALL_MAIN, should be allowed to begin anywhere.
Troubleshooting tips?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »

This is hilarious. Has anyone tried embarking to a site with a natural cave in these worlds of fire and ice? You might be able to run like hell for the cave by setting a burrow there and with a little luck maybe some of your dwarves will actually survive the mad sprint for cover.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 06:05:37 am »

What if we make a warm floor in the freezing hell? Dig entire first underground level so there is only thin natural floor left. Fill entire level with magma. Will that make temperature on first aboveground level bearable?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 08:58:52 am »

I think I figured out the problem: The game forces civs with the [CREATURE:DWARF] part - that's why only dwarves survived in my previous attempt. It's not [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN].

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:20 am »

Set a meeting zone underground, you don't need to build furniture to get them to idle underground.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:42 am »

no need for a table. Just define a zone for meeting.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 10:49:56 am »

The problem with my imps is that all their clothing freezes off, causing tantrums and depression. If all their clothing is smoke weed, though, they can go outside just fine.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »

Somehow, as I don't know how I did it, my race, even babies, have "doesn't care about anything anymore".
Don't ask me how it happened; I guess their battle scars go back to the forging of the universe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5