Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?  (Read 12358 times)

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:33:03 pm »

So I've been playing around with advanced world gen as its really fun to make a world that has a air temperature higher than magma and constantly on fire or ones that are literally impossibly cold, as in below absolute zero on the Urist scale,a  scientific impossibility. Thousands of degrees below zero. I just set the minimum and maximum temps as low as possible.

I've had a few attempts at making a fort in these temperatures, ones that are cold enough to kill a dwarf in one or two mins of real time exposure and livestock even faster due to their lack of clothing. There is no wildlife on the surface, as the cold kills anything it touches. No trees grow of course so it is just trackless snow as far as the eye can see.

My first attempt was to send in two miners and have them mine out just enough stone so I could make a table and thus define a meeting hall where idlers would stay, rather than going out into the deathly cold wilderness outside. I had enough time to mine out a small room in the sand on the top layer and struck stone below that. I then went to the unit screen to define a architect to construct the new carpenters workshop.

I then realized in the minute it took for my miners to dig I went from 7 dwarves to two, as the unnatural cold outside claimed victims. The booze froze seconds after the embark loaded, before I even had a chance to think about moving it and the livestock died very soon after. Soon after that the miners, cut off from the food and booze that was frozen outside, walked out into the snowstorm and died in seconds.

Withered.

So I reclaimed and I though this time, since I already had a shelter dug, I could just move everyone inside right away. All I had to do was construct the carpenter's shop and one table and define it quickly.  About two seconds after the map loaded I set the location for the workshop and the dwarves went to get the wood. Right after that I got a message about the job item being lost. It seemed the insanely cold temporaries had somehow caused the wood to cease to exist. It was gone.

Next reclaim I'm going to attempt to just set a burrow inside, but even if I do this I can't bring the wood with me as it freezes out of existence in the time it takes for a dwarf to pick it up and reach the fortress door. The best I can do is salvage the picks and hope I can reach a cavern with a forest. Of course even if I do, the booze freezes before a dwarf can even pick it up to take it inside.

Anyone successfully embarked at minimum temperatures? I love this game! I can make frozen scientifically impossible hells. The possibilities are limitless.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:35:42 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »

I guess I'll try beyond scorching.
That seems slightly more Fun than far below freezing.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:21 pm »

I guess I'll try beyond scorching.
That seems slightly more Fun than far below freezing.

If you crank the temperatures all the way up to maximum the grass and everything else in the world bursts into flames the second it is loaded, as in as soon as s you see it in adventure mode. I assume in dwarf mode the fire would ignite your dwarves and kill them even faster than the cold. Its because the atmospheric temperature is so high it passes the ignite point of every other sustenance in the world. Thus is all burns. Even if the fire didn't kill your dwarves their fat would melt after a little exposure.

Im going to try embarking with stone to see if i can get it inside before we all die.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:44:45 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:45:52 pm »

I actually will be using a modded race made out of adamantine, which should be able to bear the heat long enough to make it underground, where it's colder by default. Just to allow most things, I removed requirements for any and all biomes - it doesn't matter if it's all forest, all mountains, or just a ton of islands.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

RE: freezing world.

1. Embark all skilled miners/something else. 7 picks. Perhaps animals that may live long enough. Actually, maybe you need a woodcutter as well, OR just leave a copper axe above ground and have someone make a dash for it later.

2. Dig and get every dwarf (perhaps also animals) underground. Forget about anything else above ground.

3. Dig to the caverns, harvest plants and initially drink cavern water.

4. Eat/process cavern plants. Plant seeds. If you brought an axe, harvest cavern wood.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »

After DF crashing once while generating a bizarre oh-Armok-the-dirt-is-evaporating world, the second try at generation seems to be running smoothly.
First probing in Adventure mode before going all out and making a fort in these unholy conditions.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »

Dammit.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:01:07 pm by Proudnerd »

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »

RE: freezing world.

1. Embark all skilled miners/something else. 7 picks. Perhaps animals that may live long enough. Actually, maybe you need a woodcutter as well, OR just leave a copper axe above ground and have someone make a dash for it later.

2. Dig and get every dwarf (perhaps also animals) underground. Forget about anything else above ground.

3. Dig to the caverns, harvest plants and initially drink cavern water.

4. Eat/process cavern plants. Plant seeds. If you brought an axe, harvest cavern wood.

Sounds good, though if you can't find the caverns within a very short time or you get screwed over by the random chance you have to actually harvest plants so you can make booze you're screwed. Also of course if you run into anything nasty in the caverns, you're dead. Ill try this though thanks.

After DF crashing once while generating a bizarre oh-Armok-the-dirt-is-evaporating world, the second try at generation seems to be running smoothly.First probing in Adventure mode before going all out and making a fort in these unholy conditions.

ha ha is your adventurer dead yet?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:00:30 pm by Proudnerd »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »

Heat is certainly more entertaining. Protip: embark with a bit of ocean, lake or river on the map. If it doesn't instantly turn to steam, your biome is too tame.

Embarking in a deadly cold biome is possible, although if the mean time to freeze is less than a minute real time, you might not be able to get your dwarfs safely inside. You really have to dig down and order everybody inside. Underground tiles are much less deadly, although they can still be cold enough to cause cold damage to shoes and socks (and death by frostbite once the dwarf is barefoot). In a properly cold biome, there's no use in bringing _any_ organic-material goods on embark. All wood will freeze and shatter before you can move it. Food will be destroyed before anyone can consider hauling it. Alcohol will turn into unusable frozen globs.
You'll need to find the caverns and forage for food there. If your animals make it inside, you'll have a bit of food for the start, but after that, you'll need to bootstrap your agriculture from cavern herbalism. I got deadly cold but not absolute minimum embarks going two or three times.

In both very hot and very cold biomes, caravans tend to be less useful than normal - both heat and cold kill caged animals, heat also melts cheese but cold can of course destroy every organic material. Caravans aren't nearly as useful when all they bring is stone and a bit of metal. And while it's amusing to sell them old clothes which fall apart as soon as the caravan steps outside, it won't do your trade balance much good. I think you'll also only get the dwarven caravan, and no animals will spawn above ground. Goblins may still reach you, unless the temperatures are _really_ extreme.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »

The game's being a jerk and saying it can't place farms. Since my race doesn't need to eat or drink or breathe, we'll survive.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »

In both very hot and very cold biomes, caravans tend to be less useful than normal - both heat and cold kill caged animals, heat also melts cheese but cold can of course destroy every organic material. Caravans aren't nearly as useful when all they bring is stone and a bit of metal. And while it's amusing to sell them old clothes which fall apart as soon as the caravan steps outside, it won't do your trade balance much good. I think you'll also only get the dwarven caravan, and no animals will spawn above ground. Goblins may still reach you, unless the temperatures are _really_ extreme.

How do caravans make it to your door without freezing to death though? The humans/elves would die long before they reached it, as would their wagon pullers. AFAIK if someone in a caravan dies the entire caravan instantly retreats and leaves the map. If the cold killed a person wouldn't the rest cease trading right away?

I don't expect sieges and if I do get any the attackers would die from the temperatures I think since its as low as the scale goes. They don't just die; their corpses literally shatter into nothingness from the cold. It happened to my dwarf corpses.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

You can DO this kind of stuff with DF?
 **Head explodes**
This is really interesting, I might try and do this at some point.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 02:22:24 pm »

It doesn't seem to permit a temperature range of 250-750 to make a world, since allowing all rejects is bugged and stuff.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »

You can DO this kind of stuff with DF?
 **Head explodes**
This is really interesting, I might try and do this at some point.

Yeah just find minimum and maximum temperatures in world gen and set them to minus some huge number like -50000 and it will default to the lowest possible. I forget what the actual minimum is Then change the number of squares for every terrain type to "none" then gen the world and you'll end up with a tundra and glacier world with corpse shatteringly cold weather.

Do the same for a hellishly hot world just don't put the minus.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:26:46 pm by Proudnerd »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »

Say, what number did you use for the min and max values?
I don't think just multiplying the defaults by 10/-10 makes it work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5