Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?  (Read 12348 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »

Strangely, I can't get forts in 1000 temperature areas to even do anything, and my creatures are fireproof.
Like, adamantine-level fireproof.
They just sit at the very border of the map while everything burns.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:55 pm »

Strangely, I can't get forts in 1000 temperature areas to even do anything, and my creatures are fireproof.
Like, adamantine-level fireproof.
They just sit at the very border of the map while everything burns.

The AI won't walk into fires or hot squares since 0.34.11

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2014, 07:54:09 pm »

I wonder how that person got it to work then.
There seem to be no plausible solutions.
Well, DF-level plausible.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE] doesn't work, unfortunately.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 04:23:56 am »

Oh well it may not work well for you if you embark in a grassland that's all on fire, of course, since they will burn to death before the fires in their path go out.  I embarked on a rocky wasteland, so that the forest fires wouldn't kill my dorfs.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 02:31:45 pm »

I have succeeded with vanilla dwarves at both pure -1000 and +1000. It didn't end up being all that fun IMO, because after the first 5 seconds of getting underground, it's like any other "seal off the surface" game, except possibly with higher FPS as the enemies die instead of wandering around above.

Oh, there's an easy solution to that temptation to seal off the surface -- pick an embark with no metals. Suddenly those piles of goblinite and caravans loaded with no-quality steel harps look pretty appealing. That goes double if you luck into an embark that also doesn't have sand, since then you need metals in some bulk for pumping magma around.

I don't remember if I posted this in this thread already, but incidentally, if you want caravans to come, you can get rid of the NOTRADE warning at embark and allow them to, if you make horses and draft animals temperature proof. That's all that's stopping them from coming. For example, I modded horses to be made out of nether cap, and made all civs use horses as their draft animals, and they will show up with their caravans (which will promptly catch on fire or shatter)

Maybe that's necessary for caravans to arrive at +1000, but they arrive just fine in a vanilla -1000 world. You want to make sure they have a really short path to get underground, though.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

That still doesn't sound that fun or challenging. You simply build a road next to a ramp by the edge, the end. Takes 5 minutes.

Plus, they will never uncover any hidden ambushes (the ambushers would have all died swiftly), thus making it actually probably EASIER to get reliable trade goods than in a temperate world... Ta da! There are all your metals.

And since nobody can realistically lay siege to you, other than dragons I guess, you have nothing but time to just sit around and wait for the trickle of metal for whatever you're building, with no drama or tension or danger. Sounds tedious.

I'm sure you could MOD your game to be interesting in super hot or cold. For instance by making everything except dwarves and merchant animals able to withstand the temperature happily, such that you do get besieged but can't go out and fight them outdoors. Thus, metals and water matter (since you'll need to fight / make traps / heal people in hospitals), and caravans are now in more than usual danger. That could be quite fun. But I'm not seeing it in vanilla.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:12:57 pm by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »

That still doesn't sound that fun or challenging. You simply build a road next to a ramp by the edge, the end. Takes 5 minutes.

Plus, they will never uncover any hidden ambushes (the ambushers would have all died swiftly), thus making it actually probably EASIER to get reliable trade goods than in a temperate world... Ta da! There are all your metals.

And since nobody can realistically lay siege to you, other than dragons I guess, you have nothing but time to just sit around and wait for the trickle of metal for whatever you're building, with no drama or tension or danger. Sounds tedious.

Well, my experience has been that the early game was fairly tense due to resource constraints. Since any organic materials you bring don't survive embark, I needed to race to secure the caverns to find water, boot up farming and textiles, and get wood. Creaturemachine saw a minor year-one tantrum spiral over the lack of shoes, among other issues. But I concede that's not drastically different from e.g. single-pick scenarios.

Ambushers have mainly been an issue in that they path straight into the trade entrance, since surface patrols or constructed guardtowers/etc are out of the question. But with good design, that's almost never a real concern anyway, since you always have the option of diverting the wagons around some kind of trap system if you're into that sort of thing. At least here we don't have the option of building raising bridges to literally seal off the trade entrance from invaders (at least, I don't think my masons/mechanics could build them/link them to levers fast enough).

I'm sure you could MOD your game to be interesting in super hot or cold. For instance by making everything except dwarves and merchant animals able to withstand the temperature happily, such that you do get besieged but can't go out and fight them outdoors. Thus, metals and water matter (since you'll need to fight / make traps / heal people in hospitals), and caravans are now in more than usual danger. That could be quite fun. But I'm not seeing it in vanilla.

Sooner or later you're going to need some of that anyway, since you need the caverns and thus have subterranean wildlife and FBs to contend with. Probably you'll never need a full army, true, although even in vanilla if you have huskifying clouds its only a matter of time before a siege suddenly becomes extremely interesting.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »

I needed to race to secure the caverns to find water
You should be able to do without any water at all. Caverns yes, but ones with no water (can be set in advanced world gen).
Gather plants down there, and brew some right away and plant the remainder, there's your method of not dying of thirst.
Food you have plenty of from draft animals and cave animals and dwarven cheese and whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:46:23 pm by GavJ »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:34 pm »

error in posting - accidental necro

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 01:03:44 am »

Welp... since it's been necro'd already I would like to post my findings!

A few months have passed in the ice wastes of Azmokol, "The Obscure Wheel". Within the first few days we made it into the caverns with minimal casualties on the sock front. We embarked with a band of 6 miners and one woodcutter, all armed with copper tools. We also brought along a steel anvil and a heaping pile of 29 dogs. We've been surviving on gathered plants and the butchered remains of a Yak. We have a Water Buffalo in reserve, but I think we may try to keep her alive for her milk, if it doesn't freeze before being of use. No cavern beasties have caused much uproar and the biggest threat overall has been a giant toad that we startled when we broke into the caverns. It quickly hopped away into a nearby lake and hasn't been spotted since. If you get this message, send more migrants. And socks.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]