Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?  (Read 12349 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried a fort with minimum temperatures?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »

So I made a world with max temperatures. After SO MANY REJECTS I finally got a world that worked, one without dwarves. Weird. I made an adventurer imp. EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE. THE RIVERS EVAPORATE INSTANTLY. EVERYONE MELTS IN SECONDS. WHAT. I became a vamp so I wouldn't starve to death. After some adventuring I got bored because nobody would give me quests (it was a tiny world) and jumped into a volcano. I've discovered a curious underground structure? I found a magma pool to surface from, and went to the structure. The undead ignored me and I got the sword. Then I got slaughtered by a koala demon.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:07 pm »

Strange. How do your imps generate in worlds but my fallen angels don't?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »

[BIOME:ANY_LAND] in the entity, goblins have it and I always get them.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 03:10:25 pm »

I guess ALL_MAIN does jack diddly squat then.
TO THE RAWS.
*climbs in rawmobile*
Oh, and how many rejections did it take?
Mine will possibly take longer since I like medium-sized worlds with 100 years of history.
More than enough space with just enough time for cool stuff to happen.
Plus, it prevents too many megabeasts from dying, since even my own race isn't THAT awesome.
In one fort, apparently this one glacier titan managed to kill a bunch of fallen angels before one took a level in badass and murder-pulverized it to death.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »

About 1500-2000 rejections is my best guess.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »

It takes my computer a while to get up to ~200...
Eh, I'll try from time to time, since I want to work on my fort for a while.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:26 pm »

You could speed it up by removing dwarves from the raws temporarily, or removing all their farming.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 04:09:21 pm »

So after finding a good embark (an ocean with a few copper-type ores, coal, and a tiny corner of tundra with no aquifer), I accidentally normal-embarked as dwarves. I landed on the tundra, as I had selected the tundra in embark. I quickly dug down to below where the ocean froze (~3z down), and made a burrow, meeting area, and pen in a 5x5 hole. I got everyone and all my animals down, the only injury being some frostbitten teeth. I think this is a pretty awesome, thing, as I have food for a while. I dug down to the caverns and got my dwarves to cutting trees and digging some workshops an quarters. I don't know how migrants are going to get in. I might autodump their corpses down to my dwarves if they can't get in.

Okay, all this talk of insta-shattering barrels and whatnot sounded like an interesting challenge, so I spun up one of these worlds over the weekend. No modded races, all I did was set the min/max temps to -1000 and null out all the "Min map tiles in X biome" requirements. The world genned just fine that way, no problem placing dwarves and goblins (actually, quite a lot of goblins!) all over the map. I ran a couple hundred years of history and saw roads and a tower or two pop up, which seems in keeping with the idea that actions during worldgen are too abstract to care about things like Neptunian weather. It'll be interesting to see if that's still true in the upcoming release, what with all the semi-realized armies and such moving around.

So I found myself a volcano embark right at the boundary of the glacier and tundra, thinking hey, if we survive embark there might be some interesting temperature-related engineering to try later. In the interest of getting underground with some urgency, most of the embark points went to making everyone a miner and handing out seven copper picks. The rest went to a couple of pigs and random standard embark supplies (for science!).

Some observations:

Upon arriving, I got the phrase "before the Beasts get hungry " -- in every other case that message named some particular animal. Maybe "Beasts" is a default if no surface wildlife exists in the region? Sure enough, upon unpausing, no wildlife entered the map. I had the usual selection of domestic animals in the embark menu, though, so clearly animals do exist in this world. Perhaps we'll also only get inorganic surface titans?

About that unpause -- I only ran the game for a couple of seconds to see what wildlife would spawn. That was enough time for the wagon to deconstruct, and sure enough, the thread, bags of seeds, and anything made of wood had already vanished from existence. There's a big purple splotch (okay, actually just one tile) where the wagon used to be, indicating the frozen globs of wine sitting on the ground. The animals did just fine, though.

Stuff in a dwarf's inventory takes cold damage much slower, though. My seven dwarves only took a few hundred ticks to dig a 3-wide tunnel into the mountainside, but even the idlers who weren't actively digging (and started wandering off across the surface, no less, before deciding to head for the meeting area in the tunnel) managed to get inside without any cold damage to their clothes or selves. Maybe one had frostbitten teeth, but they healed up just fine. A few months later we had five migrants arrive, and they had to schlep across ~40 tiles to the entrance and help deconstruct the wall I'd thrown up (mostly to keep my dehydrated idiots inside until I hooked up a bridge). Even so, they all survived, and although frostbite of the skull sounds pretty painful, it evidently isn't life-threatening. On the other hand, two of them had their clothes completely freeze off, and one ended up with XXclothesXX.

I always thought the subterranean temperature was fixed, but apparently not? Without even using DFhack, you can quickly check by starting to define a meeting zone -- the screen will note if the chosen tiles are cold. So far, everywhere I've tried this on the map, including down in the first cavern, is considered cold. However, it can't be all that cold, since the water in the cavern is still liquid, and nobody/nothing seems to be taking cold damage as long as they stay off the surface. Still, I'm thinking once I tap the volcano and/or magma sea, some heated floors are in order.

About that dehydration I mentioned: I don't know if this is just my bad luck in picking an embark or somehow related to the cold, but this map definitely has some unusual features. I'm thinking that maybe erosion didn't run normally. Fully half the world map was mountains, and even the tundra/glacier I embarked on close to the (frozen) ocean has basically mountainous terrain. Steep cliffs, ~40 z-levels of surface relief, but unlike a mountain there's plenty of clay soil under the ice. The first cavern is almost 80 z-levels below the embark point, and has only a tiny channel of water running through it. My dwarves almost died of dehydration before they found it after a solid month of continuous digging, and were hungry enough to start hunting for vermin by the time they finished drinking. We might not have made it, except that one beard managed to catch and eat a cave spider, which was apparently either filling or disgusting enough that after that he walked right upstairs and finally carried out my instructions to butcher the draft animals.

As of now, it's early fall. We've only had the five migrants I mentioned, but I'd expect the second wave will be along soon. It'll hopefully also be small, given that we've created almost no wealth at this point, because resources are still at a premium. Following some hijinx with troglodytes and a cave troll, we've got a nice expanse of cavern walled off and we're gradually bootstrapping farms off the plants gathered from there.  So far it's been a struggle to maintain even one unit of booze per dwarf, though. We've gathered and spun a few webs, too, so with any luck we can get some replacement clothes made before the migrants whose threads froze off start tantruming from nakedness. All in all, for starting on basically a moon of Neptune, not a bad start.

A final thought: it sounds like underground adventuring is going to be much more viable in the upcoming release, what with the tunnels and mountain halls and such. That's going to make adventuring in this kind of world a whole different game than it is now.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:39 pm »

I am going to try this tomorrow.  Maybe make a mod based around the situation as well...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 10:47:45 pm »

Trying it with minimum -1000 (the lowest) and -750 the highest. I have a feeling Coldsaved will be one of my shorter lived forts...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 02:28:01 am »

Fun worldgen temperature facts (that you won't find on the wiki):

- If you gen an area with [TEMPERATURE:0:0:0:0] i.e. max, min, and both variances are zero, you can see how latitude, elevation, and rainfall affect the temperatures.
- Temperature is strongly affected by latitude, and to a lesser degree the other factors including the random variances introduced by the player (unless you enter absurdly large max or min numbers).
- The difference between winter and summer temperatures is zero at the top and bottom of the map, and linearly grows to a peak of about 30 U (40 W) difference in the central temperate zones.
- The normal temperature is the seaside summer temperature. Elevation or time of year (in temperate areas) subtracts from this temperature.
- High rainfall (over 66) can reduce a scorching/hot area to hot or warm.
- The elevation and rainfall changes happen during worldgen and are reflected in the exported temperature map. The exported temperature map shows the summer temperatures for temperate areas.
- The maximum temperature worldwide is capped at the worldgen max+25 (in W units). No such logic exists for minimum temperatures. While this was probably implemented to solve the fat-melting bug, it can also be used to enforce a global freezing.

Worldgen_temperature * 0.75 + 10000 = degrees Urist

In worldgen units:
Code: [Select]
-0    freezing
0-15  cold
15-50 temperate
50-75 warm
75-90 hot
90+   scorching
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:31:44 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 02:58:45 am »

Wow, this needs to be better known!
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:05 am »

So that explains why my normally-generated glacier says it has distinctions between seasons, although nothing actually changes.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

So after finding a good embark (an ocean with a few copper-type ores, coal, and a tiny corner of tundra with no aquifer), I accidentally normal-embarked as dwarves. I landed on the tundra, as I had selected the tundra in embark. I quickly dug down to below where the ocean froze (~3z down), and made a burrow, meeting area, and pen in a 5x5 hole. I got everyone and all my animals down, the only injury being some frostbitten teeth. I think this is a pretty awesome, thing, as I have food for a while. I dug down to the caverns and got my dwarves to cutting trees and digging some workshops an quarters. I don't know how migrants are going to get in. I might autodump their corpses down to my dwarves if they can't get in.
About that unpause -- I only ran the game for a couple of seconds to see what wildlife would spawn. That was enough time for the wagon to deconstruct, and sure enough, the thread, bags of seeds, and anything made of wood had already vanished from existence. There's a big purple splotch (okay, actually just one tile) where the wagon used to be, indicating the frozen globs of wine sitting on the ground. The animals did just fine, though.

Stuff in a dwarf's inventory takes cold damage much slower, though. My seven dwarves only took a few hundred ticks to dig a 3-wide tunnel into the mountainside, but even the idlers who weren't actively digging (and started wandering off across the surface, no less, before deciding to head for the meeting area in the tunnel) managed to get inside without any cold damage to their clothes or selves. Maybe one had frostbitten teeth, but they healed up just fine. A few months later we had five migrants arrive, and they had to schlep across ~40 tiles to the entrance and help deconstruct the wall I'd thrown up (mostly to keep my dehydrated idiots inside until I hooked up a bridge). Even so, they all survived, and although frostbite of the skull sounds pretty painful, it evidently isn't life-threatening. On the other hand, two of them had their clothes completely freeze off, and one ended up with XXclothesXX.

I always thought the subterranean temperature was fixed, but apparently not? Without even using DFhack, you can quickly check by starting to define a meeting zone -- the screen will note if the chosen tiles are cold. So far, everywhere I've tried this on the map, including down in the first cavern, is considered cold. However, it can't be all that cold, since the water in the cavern is still liquid, and nobody/nothing seems to be taking cold damage as long as they stay off the surface. Still, I'm thinking once I tap the volcano and/or magma sea, some heated floors are in order.

Well, some updates and corrections...

Insta-shattering really does describe it! Made it until the fall caravan. I dug a trade tunnel right up to the edge of the map, and lightly modified some natural topography to ensure the caravan spawns there. In the time it took to cross ~5 tiles and get underground, every organic object they were carrying froze and vanished. No wood/cloth/booze for us, it would seem. Interestingly, the merchant wagons survived, and they were even so kind as to unload some frozen globs of milk in the depot.

Cold damage to creatures outdoors seems fairly variable. The second migrant wave showed up on the far end of the map, and five dwarves got inside with assorted degrees of frostbite. I suppose the sixth one tripped and never got up again, because now I have a missing soap maker. Most of their livestock froze before making it in. I caught a cow calf in the act of freezing out of existence -- at most a couple hundred ticks passed between when it died and when the corpse vanished without a trace. I'm not sure even magma destroys things that fast!

So far the biggest challenge has been footwear. Yes, my fort is actually suffering from a lack of socks. So far about a third of the migrants have had their socks and shoes freeze away (although their feet seem undamaged), and then they get really quite bent out of shape over not having footwear. Since farms are still booting up, we're playing tag with the trolls down in the caverns to scrounge up enough silk to replace them.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »

I've given up for a time, so I currently am doing something totally irrational - generating worlds with duplicates of raw files.
So far, my embark is at the very edge of an ocean, with beaches made from solid native silver. The soil layers are frozen disgusting goop that falls from the sky in evil biomes, and it even drops stones. So far, no unforeseen things have happened. Besides the whole "Native silver beach" thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5