Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Fate / Lunar Sun  (Read 25943 times)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fate / Lunar Sun
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:19 am »

Also reading, not really a Fate fan but I guess I will be reading.

Voting 1, less people to worry about.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »

Also reading, not really a Fate fan but I guess I will be reading.

Voting 1, less people to worry about.

Not a fan? Aw, and here I thought my attempts to convert you had succeeded.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 12:41:02 pm »

---------------------------------------------------------------------- It should be me and Arturia.

That's right.
It would do us no good to draw attention to ourselves.
And we have to move quickly if we want to get to school on time.

“I think we should go alone. We are supposed to be quiet, right? I don't think Mother is in a very quiet mood right now.”

“Guh--------------”
Mother raises a hand across her face and blushes.
“I guess that's right. Fine. But be back before school starts.”

And with that, Mother signals the conversation to be at an end, turning deliberately away from Saber.
The two seem to have a past.
Father looks at me and Saber in equal measure, and nods.

“Kiri. I'm sorry, but I am counting on you and Saber to keep Arturia safe during this. You especially, since you and her got into this yourselves.”

“Of course, Father. I am her shield.”
Saber looks at me and blinks.
Did I say something strange?

“Good boy. The Kotomine Church -Well, we call it that, but there hasn't been any Kotomines there since the last Holy Grail War-  is in Shinto, in the oldest district on the hill. Saber can show you there if you get lost. This is your third time here, right Saber?”

….....................!
Three times?
That's incredible.
I had heard Saber was the most powerful Servant, but to have fought in the Holy Grail War three times?
I again find myself wondering what sort of hero is so famous that she is summoned three times.

“It is. I believe I can navigate this city very well by now.”
Saber confirms her knowledge of my home town.

“We should get going.”
Arturia stands up, along with Mother.
They both yawn and stretch like cats, perfect mirrors, one black and one red.

“Arturia is right. Go quick. I'm going to go take a nap.”
Mother pads away, back into her room.

It's strange, I think, as Arturia ducks into her room to grab a extra few bars of tungsten.
Even though it was a breakfast eaten with a knight in silver armor.....................
…..............................It was a pretty normal day.
We leave as the sun rises, the town flooded with a feeling of hollow tranquility.

“Ah..... It is a gibbous moon.”
Arturia is looking at the sky.
Indeed, a gibbous moon hangs just over the horizon, across from the sun.
“I thought I felt off today.”

Arturia claims to have health in time with the stages of the moon.
Well, claims is the right word. There's no proof to it.
I never learned of any magical meaning to it, and the Emiyas and Tohsakas were never major Astrological practitioners.
Actually, the Emiyas weren't much practitioners at all.

Luckily for our sanity, Arturia quickly looks away.
“We should get going. I am excited, aren't you?”

“Not really. I never wanted to be a part of the Holy Grail War.”
I speak honestly.
Arturia can see through my lies anyway, so there's no reason to hide things.

“You are a giant baby, Kiritsugu. Maybe you're just jealous you are not the Master.”
Arturia prods her finger to the corner of her mouth in a stance eerily reminiscent of Aunt Ilya.
Saber doesn't seem to be paying attention, apparently enraptured with the stonework wall on the other side of the street.

“I-I am not upset at anything! Why would I want to be a Master? Who would I even summon?”
Arturia's getting on my nerves.
I don't want to be part of something that hurts people.

“Oh, that is a good question........ Berserker? You would have the same amount of tact.”

“.................hmm.”
Saber makes a contented humming noise and rubs the stonework.
She's acting strange and it's pissing me off.

“Saber, what are you doing to the wall?”
My tone is more rude than is really warranted, but I'm angry.
We summoned Servant Saber, not Servant Mason.
What kind of hero loves bricks anyway?

“This place has been repaired very well. You can almost miss where Berserker hit it.”
She says something strange.

“Y-you fought Berserker here?”
Arturia is in shock.

“Yes. Hercules was summoned as Servant Berserker, and his Master, Ilyasviel Von Einzbern, attacked us here. It was the first major battle of the War.”

I blink.
Servant Berserker.................
…...............................Hercules?
The famed hero of Greece? The heroic demigod who completed twelve impossible tasks?
And summoned as Berserker too..............
I have a new respect for Saber.

Arturia seems just as shocked as I am.
Berserker..................

Kotomine Church is set upon a hill in Shinto, the town across the river from Miyama. It's technically part of Fuyuki City, but people treat it as a different city all together.
Shinto is a bustling place of quickly built high-rises and sky-scrapers, filled with neon lights and technological marvels.
But Kotomine church is a place away from all that. There used to be a suburb around this area, but in recent times many of the houses have been converted into a slightly more dense urban residential district.
The houses are clustered together, but the grounds of the church are clean and filled with bright green grass, lit by the rising sun.
The church itself sits upon the hill like a sleeping giant.

Somewhere inside, an organ is playing a haunting hymn.
“I should stay outside. You will be safe with the supervisor inside. I will keep watch for other servants from out here.”
Saber refuses to enter the church.
Admittedly, it does give off a creepy impression.
Like a massive spider on it's web, waiting to draw out it's prey.

But Arturia has to go inside, and that means I do too.
The door creaks as it opens.
The haunting organ tune keeps playing.

The man inside is large, wrapped in an all-encompassing black mantle.
He waits for the music to stop before turning to us.
“----------The seventh Master approaches.”

His voice is like gravel, his eyes screwed shut by age.
“I have come to accept my place as Master in the Holy Grail War.”
Arturia says this boldly.
“I hav-”
She stops abruptly.

It doesn't take me long to figure out why she stopped.
There's two other figures in the Church.
Another Master and Servant are staring at us with amused expressions on their face.

The Master is tall and pale.
Her eyes are round, eyebrow raised in our direction and the beginnings of a smile pulling at her lips.
Golden hair like wheat pours down her shoulders, framing eyes blue as the skies above.
And most strikingly, she's almost my age.

Her Servant seems young too. His face is smooth and unblemished, a wide smile baring pure, white teeth.
His hair is as blonde as hers is, but cut short.
He's wrapped in a brown coat, concealing everything but his head, which is covered in a large, but plain, wide-brimmed hat.
He's look at us askance, the shadows from his hat obscuring his eyes.

“...........................”
Arturia pauses.
She already blurted out that she was a master.
Arturia only seems to make mistakes when they matter.

“Hmph.”
The priest behind the altar scoffs.
“Too often youth and eagerness walk hand-in-hand to destruction.”
The priest raises a hand, as if a king issuing a decree.

“Then by the power invested in me by the Church, I accept you into the Sixth Holy Grail War.
Let the Ritual commence.
As always, if a Master should seek shelter, they will find it here, in Kotomine Church.
And I, Augustus Pilate, will take them in.”

Pilate lowers his hand, mantle once again subsuming his enormous body.
Then he smiles like a cat.

“You are the Emiya child, yes? I should not be surprised. The heir of Tohsaka is always involved.
The name may have died, but her blood runs through you.”

“..................”
Arturia glares at the old priest.
Oddly, the blonde foreigner looks upset too.

“Kukuku. Forgive me a little bit of schadenfreude, Heir of Tohsaka. This church is stained with the odd nature of it's previous two masters, and I fear some of the sadism has seeped into these old bones.”
The priest shrugs as though there's little he can do about the issue.
“But now you must all leave. I cannot allow Masters to hang around in my church with Servants hovering.
Archer, Andrea. Arturia, Kiritsugu. The safety ends at the door. Let me show you through.”

So the big man in the brown is Servant Archer?
I thought something felt off.
Although, without knowing about Archer I would have assumed it was the priest.
Or the bloodstain in front of the altar.

We all shuffle out, led by the gnarled old priest.
Archer and I are last, and right after I exit, I hear the Servant speak.
“I've always hated priests.”

“Kukuku. I as well.”

And the doors slam shut with finality.

Saber is looking at Archer, jaw tense.
Arturia is looking at his Master.....
…..............Andrea?
What an odd name.

It's a tense scene.
Two Servants meet right after the official beginning of the Holy Grail War.
Arturia already has a rod of tungsten held in her hand, three centimeters long and a quarter centimeter thick.
The foreign Master twitches her fingers randomly, as if stretching.
Archer's hand slowly slides inside his coat.
Saber grips the air as if her sword were already there.
I-------------------------------------------------

1) Stop this.
2) This isn't the right time.
3) Sneak attack Archer from behind!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:57:50 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point, I'm going to do a huge chunk of "filler" posts, basically to fill out any dead ends you missed and make the choices actually a choice. You'll be able to tell when I do because it'll probably be a page of nothing but Kiritsugu's increasingly violent and random deaths followed by Tiger Dojos enough to make Taiga weep.

And weep she will! There are just as many horrible ways to die here as there were in the VN proper. Eventually, I will successfully kill you guys off.

One of these days.

Besides that, though, the only thing I ask is for you guys to have as much fun reading as I'm having writing. :) I'm sorry for the slow updates, but I don't have a steady net connection with my laptop and these updates are a good 4 pages on word alone (though they don't seem like it on here!). If anything seems slightly off warn me, and if it's not too well integrated yet I'll see what I can do to change it. I'm halfway through my second playthrough of the Fate route in F/SN myself right now, so hopefully the backstory will start making more sense as I reread the canon.

Thank you!
~Karne

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »

Standing outside the church in broad daylight, right after the war officially opens. Not exactly ideal conditions to fight.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:56:19 pm »

Would honestly like to attack, Archer suggests he is at his best in a mid to far range fight, we are right next to him. But they could just slip back inside and I doubt we could handle a servant as anything more than a distraction, slow him down so our allies can attack the master.

If I know Saber and trust me, I somewhat do, she wouldn't approve of that sort of play and would target the servant. In which case we would be getting in her way and likely be a hindrance that may give Archer an edge.

On the other hand if we try to leave we would be giving the enemy the upper hand due to distance, which may be what they want.

If we could target the master while Saber attacks Archer then we and Sister could fight the Master, we would have an edge, but that wasn't an option.

We have an edge over them if we attacked and we could trust Saber to do the right thing and take out the Master with Sisters help, but since we can't I feel I have to vote for:

Edit:Would also like to know the difference I guess, sounds like a motivation issue but I would like clarification I guess, if it isn't too much bother.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:02:28 pm by Cain12 »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »

Ah, so the second servant arrives so soon~

I wonder who he is. Full body brown coat, wide-brimmed hat (maybe a bandit of some sort? It would certainly fit the class.), hatred of priests, hm. I wonder if we'll be able to guess before we find out.

As for the master, we can't guess much yet, apart from being from any country except maybe Italy, where Andrea is usually a boy name (I think it's derived from Andro, which means male, right?). I suppose it is near useless to speculate on her at any point, orz.

I personally don't mind the time between updates.

Now, for the choice itself!

-Archers fight at long range, we might stand a chance here if we attack now, and if we turn to go, they may attack once distance is established (they don't seem the type to have scruples).

-On the other hand, we have no knowledge about him (though maybe we can learn something during the fight?) or his master.

-How would dear Saber (you have no idea how many times I typed Arturia before remembering that another character is called that now, XD) work here? Could she take him out? Or maybe she could kill the master? I know Archer has Independent Action, but he will likely fade eventually.

-Though I hate to think from a narrative viewpoint (all ways seems a bit insulting to the writer), it seems too early to kill off a knight class servant, so I doubt we can kill Archer in this fight.

-A wrong choice may lead to a Bad End, right?

Ah, I will have to think about this some more before voting

P.S: What is the difference between Stop this and This isn't the right time? Is it the action Little Kiri takes to the situation, or just his attitude towards it?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:17:28 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »

3) Attack Archer

Because....
I dunno someone needs to side with it...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:54 pm »

Ah, any insight that might sway my opinion one way or the other?

EDIT: Well, regardless of exact time period, Archer is probably a younger legend than Saber's, so I suppose we are stronger like that in addition to our numerical advantage.

EDIT 2: I forgot to check the front page to check out archers stats, more thinking for me to do, lol. Also, is it possible Fortmuller is german?

Also, What about Avalon? Did we bring it with us? It was used in the ritual, so we obviously have it. Whether Art or Saber has it, it is a powerful factor to consider in this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:47:14 pm by kero42 »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 02:40:11 pm »

Also, What about Avalon? Did we bring it with us? It was used in the ritual, so we obviously have it. Whether Art or Saber has it, it is a powerful factor to consider in this.
An important question to be sure, if we have it then I would be willing to risk an attack on Archer, if Saber has it then it is being wasted, if Sister has it then she is somewhat safer and an attack could be risked. But since it wasn't mentioned I presume it is with Saber or we stupidly didn't bring it.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »

Then again, our protagonist here likely doesn't know much about Saber at all, so we might have left it back home. I suppose I should try to think about this from his point of view instead, I'll probably enjoy this more that way. OOC knowledge is a bit cheat-y, right?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 02:45:30 pm »

Fair enough, this is being played like a VN, not a SG, if it wasn't mentioned we presume that our main didn't pay any attention to it or think to take it. Would presume Saber would remember to take it at least.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »

Spoiler: Servant ARCHER (click to show/hide)
Oh wow. If this is who I think it is... WATCH THE SKIES!
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »

Ah, so you have an idea? I won't try to pry it from you, but I do wonder what you think.

While I'm here, what is the "MGR" Stat? I know the others from the wiki, but I can't remember what that might mean.

Nevermind, Google saves the day.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------
You may presume that all Servants have all their NPs that they have reasonable access to on them at all times, since afaik they can summon it as long as they know where it is.

So
Fair enough, this is being played like a VN, not a SG, if it wasn't mentioned we presume that our main didn't pay any attention to it or think to take it. Would presume Saber would remember to take it at least.
Saber has Avalon in the same Hammerspace she keeps ye olde sword in.

But that's all you'll get out of me. Besides the fact that Archer is a joker in more ways than one. Make sure you're playing the right card game before you bet.

MGR is magic resist. I forgot to check the game before doing the stats for rider so it's a new stat that basically gives a base magic resist that the skill builds on. It replaces the equally useless np stat.

------------------------------------------------
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11