Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Fate / Lunar Sun  (Read 25940 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Fate / Lunar Sun
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2014, 07:15:55 pm »

None of the above!
Gather your forces and zergrush rider with whatever we can scrape together!!

or yah know... option 2 and we could get sex...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2014, 06:05:04 am »

Never investigate the dojo, never investigate the dojo, never investigate the dojo, nev- more to the point, stay away from the school next time. (Bet you that will cause a worse result though)

Anyway, 2, cause of archer. though I am tempted to go to the 3rd option just see where it goes.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2014, 10:22:27 am »

We really should slap Avalon on her. It's supposed to be made by the Fairies, not subject to the World's rules, hence managing to survive Ea. I'm pretty sure Time counts as one of the World's rules.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »

--------------------------------------------------Go with Andrea and Archer

“Andrea. I'm not sure I trust any of the other Masters. Could you...?”
I'm not sure why I stop there.
But she nods, and so does Archer.

“Just give me a few minutes to get my strength back.”
Archer sounds half-dead.

There's a period of intense silence.
Then there's the soft rattle of a sliding door.
It's Aunt Ilya, wheezing and rattling so much she almost looks her age.

She's stooped over, hunched so badly she's less than a meter tall.
One hand is wheeling a canister of oxygen, which is hooked up to the tubes in her nose.
The other is holding a IV, which is softly glowing blue in a way I don't think most hospitals would allow.
Her eyes are heavily lidded, and she looks very much the worse for wear.

“I'm awake.”

Mother snorts, a gentle grin spreading across her face.
“I can see that, Ilya.”

Aunt Ilya slowly limps across the room, before pausing and staring at the blade on the table.
“Excalibur.”

She's a little quicker now, shuffling with a little more speed, a little more energy.
It's kind of strange seeing Aunt Ilya like this.
She's usually so peppy, so I'm not used to her being this low on energy.

She slowly sits down at the table, more like a geriatric old woman than a girl in her late thirties, or the eight-year old she still appears to be.
Weakly she draws the blade towards her, lifting the heavy iron with a grunt.

Running her hands over the length of the blade, she closes her eyes, deep in thought.
She traces what used to be gold filigree, now just more iron.
She sniffs the blade daintily, even biting it softly.
“Hmm.”
She murmurs, her eyes squeezed shut.

“The enchantments are still in place. I'm not familiar with faeries, obviously, but the thaumaturgy is legible and the sylphatic guards are still directing the magic where it needs to go. There are a couple places where I think another magus tried to add on some features, but the runes didn't connect, and have decayed-”
She pauses, noting all our blank expressions.

Suddenly a big grin covers her face.
“Sorry. Forgot you were here, Kiritsugu, Onii-chan.”
She lays Excalibur back on the table, and smooths her skirt.
“It might be simpler to think of it like a machine. As an Einzbern, I could go pretty in depth about Magical Constructs, Enchanting and Thaumaturgical Chi Directioning. But I think I would lose everyone here, so I'll describe it simply.

“The main basis any enchantment works on is redirection and amplification. Kind of like how a bicycle would redirect the work your legs put in and amplify it, so that you can go faster than you normally would. Strengthening magic is considered a very basic offshoot of enchanting in this way, since you're using magic to amplify the “strength” of an object, by removing flaws and filling them with prana.

“A more involved enchantment, like Excalibur, is a lot like a more complicated machine in this way. Except unlike a machine, the enchantment sometimes isn't locked onto an actual object. Excalibur's enchantment was like that, like a theoretical machine made out of it's own fuel; prana.”

Mother lays her head on the table.
“It's like being back in the tower.”

Aunt Ilya shoots her a look, which is about as threatening as one can get while strapped to a IV and pressurized oxygen.
“The point I was going for, Rin, was that if Ecalibur's enchantment had truly failed, it would be simply gone, and not... This.”
She lifts the blade once more and lets it fall onto the table with a clunk.
“That's what's really weird. Anything strong enough to depower Excalibur should have broken some of the directional apparatuses that gave the sword its shape. Basically, it should be dust right now.”

Saber mewls from the couch, a depressing sound not unlike a sad kitten.

“Excalibur is just missing a power source. Which is good and bad.”
Aunt Ilya looks over at Arturia.

Arturia's wide eyed, mouth hanging open in shock.
“So we-”

“Yes! The good news is that we can fix Excalibur. You're still in the fight.”
Aunt Ilya smiles widely, before breaking into a fit of hacking and coughing.

Everyone breaths a sigh of relief, even Archer and Andrea.
I guess they were concerned too.
I suppose they didn't want to see Saber go out in such a pitiable way.

“The bad news is that we will need to find a energy source for Excalibur. Which means finding something with enough power to sacrifice a portion of their energy to refill the blade, and convincing them to do that.”

The house returns to melancholy.

“So we would have to go find a Fairy and convince them to put some magic into the blade?”
Arturia sighs.
“That's going to take too much time.”

Aunt Ilya nods, but Father seems lost in thought.
“Ilya, just what level of power would it take to get Excalibur back?”

Aunt Ilya blinks, and then scratches her head.
“I'm not a expert at raw Enchantment like this. The Einzberns specialize in Magical Constructs like Homunculi, even though Enchantment is part of that, it's not our specialization. But I'd say that logically, it would be something around the power of the creator, so something along the lines of a True Ancestor, any sort of Sentient Phantasmal Beast. But there are no True Ancestors left, and any remaining Phantasmal Beasts are those too reclusive or too weak to be worth hunting down.”

Father sighs and runs a hand through his hair, before making a fist and smacking it against his palm.
“Looks like you're headed to the Church anyway.”

“..............?”
I gaze at Father, wondering why we're heading to the Church if we're not done fighting.

“Look, the Church is an organization that keeps track of magical creatures. If there's anything around her powerful enough to get Excalibur back in working order, they will know where to find it.”

Mother grins and ruffles Father's hair.
“Good job, Shirou! Perfect timing for your 'Good Idea of the Year'.”

“I have more than one good idea per year!”

“Liar. They're so rare, I keep track. Unless you want to count the blender accident.”

“T-That was you!”

“Now you kids be good and get going. You need to get Saber back in the fight before Rider kills everything we love.”
Mother, why would you say that in such a cheery tone?
Sometimes I wonder if she's some sort of psychopath.

Andrea and Archer seem ready to go though, and Arturia is helping Saber to her feet.

I get up and dust myself off.
I'm not quite out of hope yet.
I'm coming for you, King of Kings, and no amount of Ruin is going to stop me.

The streets are dark.
It takes a few minutes of walking to be able to make out more than black forms in the shadows, but eventually our little group finds itself at the foot of the hill capped by Kotomine Church.
There hasn't been much conversation.

It's Saber, Andrea, Archer, Myself, and Arturia.
I've been supporting Saber, who's still only just able to stand.
After some thought, I've worked out that Ruin was some sort of Magic-sink, sucking away all the Magic in the area.
That would explain how Excalibur lost it's power source but not the enchantments, why it hit Servants much harder than Masters, and other things too.
I have the growing suspicion that as the most mundane person in our little group, that means I'll end up fighting Rider.

The thought kind of frightens me.
But at the same time, I'm determined to bring him down, whatever it takes.

With such thoughts swirling in my head, I almost don't notice the pair on the road.
Luckily, they don't notice us either, and I have the chance to get a good look.

Haruhi is talking in hushed tones to someone I don't recognize.
He's shrouded by shadows from here, but Haruhi seems relatively relaxed considering what she just went through.

I'm left with a choice.
I-

1) Interrupt their conversation

2) Move on, and don't be seen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:48:19 am by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2014, 12:38:26 am »

number 1 shes the enemy KILL HER!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:31 am »

I'm sure we'll find a way eventually.

Number 1, here's hoping this doesn't kill us horribly like the last time we bothered mysterious people at night, eh?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2014, 07:47:30 am »

------------------------------------------------Interrupt their conversation

I steel myself and start to approach.

“What are you doing you idiot? You're going to get us all killed!”
Andrea hisses at me, pulling at the hem of my collar.

“I know Haruhi. She's not evil; I don't think she's just going to murder me.”
True enough. Haruhi did say that she would kill me, but recalling the conversation, I think she implied she would try to help me survive if she had the opportunity.
So the only people really in danger would be Saber and Archer, assuming Caster is nearby.
Normally safe to assume, but if Ruin drains Prana, Caster would be the most vulnerable Servant.

“She's a Master. She's probably going to kill you. And probably wouldn't even have the good manners to put your blood to good use...”
Andrea seems to distract herself slightly with that statement.
“Maybe... Maybe we could go meet her...”

“Probably not the best idea, Master, considerin'.”
Archer gently but firmly levers Andreas hand from where it had begun to claw into the back of my neck.

“I'm going.”
And before anyone else can object, I'm walking over towards Haruhi.

As I get closer, the shadows disappear, revealing a strange foreigner.
His eyes are steeped in shadow, though his blonde hair seems to glow gold in the moonlight.
His shoulders are covered by a pale jacket that contrasts distinctly with the buildings behind him.

They both turn to look at me as I approach.

The foreigner speaks up.
“Hm? Hey, you're the Emiya kid.”
He grins in a almost predatory manner.

Haruhi stares at me with the same blank expression she always wears.
“Emiya. You are alone.”

“Erm, yeah. What are you doing here, Haruhi?”

Haruhi stares at me for a few moments, the only sign she heard me a slight twitch of her eyes upwards.
“Business.”

“Right. Who's this?”
I already have an idea, but it would be better if Haruhi confirmed it.

“Caster.”

“Servant Caster. Not my real name, but workable enough.”
The grin never leaves his face.
It's almost intoxicating in a disturbing way. Somewhere between feminine and masculine, perfectly aligned.
Odd, I'm standing right next to him, and yet I still can't see his eyes.
I feel a odd compulsion to lean forward, but suppress it.

I turn to Haruhi.

“Emiya. Your purpose out here poses many questions. Where is your Servant?”

“She's with Arturia.”
I lie easily.
I'm not usually a liar, but when I was younger I had the idea that it was better to have the ability and never use it than to fail when you had to.
I spent a long time in corners before I learned to fool my own parents.

Caster steps into my personal space and turns me to face him.
“And where is Arturia?”
I finally see his eyes.
They're gold.
So gold.
Flecks of gold.

All around me are flecks of Gold.
Shimmering and sparkling.
The reflected light turns the world into daytime.
I find myself talking without meaning.
“Behind the corner of the building to the right.”

I don't notice Haruhi stalking away.
Or I do, but I'm unconcerned.
I just keep looking into those golden eyes.
“That's good. Haruhi has a strange desire not to kill you... Well, not so strange for a girl her age. But she doesn't feel that way about-”

He pauses.
The dulled sound of thunder in my ears is not unlike a bass drum.
And then................

Caster stumbles back, and I see the world at night again.
He's clutching at his shoulder, where a bullet wound hisses and pops as if filled with acid.
“Nope.”
Archer's response is swift and laconic.

“Master! It is time to go!”
Calls Caster.
A robe swirls around him, shrouding his shape even from the sensitive eyes of Archer.

“I am withdrawing. The Dead Apostle is with them.”
Haruhi's voice has a unaccustomed note of stress to it.

She hurtles around the corner, a beast hot on her trail.
Andrea is definitely not human.
That smile is definitely not human.

“Let her go! We need to get to the church!”
Arturia shouts, carrying a stumbling Saber by one shoulder as she runs as fast as the two can in the opposite direction.

Caster is already lancing out to meet her, scooping her up as he jabs his staff into Andreas gut.
Andrea drops, less due to pain than simple momentum, as she skitters underneath the pair uselessly.
Caster staff returns to the ground, which shimmers in a circle and cracks once, vanishing Master and Servant.

“Damn!”
Andrea hisses.

Arturia is already running ahead.
Casting a glance back at Andrea, I run to follow her.

“Hmm. Powerful Magical Creatures? We do indeed keep track, although the previous Father of this church and his protege were lax in that particular duty. Of course, I'm sure I saw the files here somewhere...”

We arrived at the church out of breath, explaining to the Father our predicament, and asking for his help.

He vanishes behind the altar into the back.
It's several minute before he returns.

“We have information on a specific being which might fulfill your requirements. Unfortunately, as moderator of this Holy Grail War, I cannot point you to his location.”

Arturia sags, as does Saber.

“However, I can tell you that we are not the only source of knowledge regarding such creatures. In fact, there happens to be one other such place in this town. How fortuitious.”

The Father turns to look us all briefly but pointedly in the eye.

“If such a place were to be found, and you could find the head of such an institution, it wouldn't be remiss of me to simply let this take place. I cannot point you to where this information might be, but  it is a place of powerful magic in it's own right...”

The Priest sits in a seat behind the altar, sighing.
“Now get out of my church or surrender your Command Seals. I am finished with you.”

We leave.

It's getting late.

We will only be able to check one place.
I sense a foreboding in the air, a gut feeling that tells me we're being watched.
I feel as if we must pick the correct place.
That tomorrow we will need Excalibur... Or possibly tonight.
Perhaps I'm just still rattled from the fight with Caster.
I----

1) There's a Temple on the Mountain. We'll go there.
2) The old Tohsaka house might have something like that in Grandfather's Study...
3) There's supposed to be an old Mansion on the outskirts of town. Aunt Ilya said they were haunted...
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2014, 10:33:57 am »

Eh, 3, ghosts could be fun?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2014, 11:08:15 pm »

Although I'm thinking 1 (there was a dragon who taught the monks martial arts, right?) and 3 is tempting (was that the one the Edelfelt sisters used in HF3?), I'll vote 2, there could be info there. After all, the Tohsakas have owned the territory for a while, there might be something.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2014, 04:38:56 pm »

Okay, since apparently no one else feels like voting, I hereby change my vote to 3.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2014, 05:23:49 am »

--------------------------------------------There's supposed to be an old Mansion on the outskirts....

That's right.

Aunt Ilya told me the Mansion was haunted by the ghost of a young woman, who was murdered brutally.
She said the ghost still haunts the house, and that it was very powerfully magical.
She said that the ghost itself is only ever seen as a black shadow.

We'll go there. If there's power there, we'll need it.

The mansion there is overgrown with weeds, long strands of ivy crawling up the walls.
It's a western style manor, three stories tall.

Arturia draws out a rod of steel, and Saber readies the iron remnant of Excalibur.
Hopefully we don't have to fight a servant.
Honestly, I kind of hope we're wrong.
And not just because I'm left with a pair of sticks I snapped off a tree.

Saber enters first, despite Arturia's protests.
Excalibur in a trained ready hold, face set in a steely glare, she glances from side to side.
She finally looks like she might have some energy.
…..........Something cold runs down the back of my neck.

Jumping slightly, I reach back and brush the sweat off.
The inside of the mansion is classy, but dusty.
Cobwebs and shadows cover everything.
Flicking the switch proves that the lights don't work.
It certainly seems like a place a ghost would live.

“Let's check the basement first.”
Arturia begins a methodical search for the place of power here.

….....................
…............
…..

The only power in the house is in an upstairs bedroom.
There's a small shrine there, with melted, burnt-out candles and a picture of a woman with magenta hair.
There's a offering of flowers in front of the shrine.

“This is still fresh.”
Arturia taps the vase at the water line, making the water shimmer slightly.
“There's no line on the glass where the water was before it started evaporating. So it must not have.”

Saber nods resolutely, and I turn to look at the door.

!
….......Nothing.
A shadow.
The wind murmurs from the window.
It must have been the shadow of a branch.
Taking the shape of some wicked claw.

Arturia sighs.
“There's not much magic here. It feels like there may have once been some kind of miracle going on here, but not any more. This house is as dead as it's owner.”
She nods respectfully to the woman's shrine.
“If I had any incense, I'd light some. You'll have to do with my well wishes, Onee-san.”

Saber looks hard at the shrine, as if trying to remember something, and then nods respectfully and follows Arturia out of the room.

….
This isn't my place.
With respects to the dead.
I leave.

When I reach the living room, I notice Arturia looking around, confused.
“What is it?”

“Is Saber with you?”
She looks at me with fear in her eyes.

“No, she followed you out.”

“Nonsense. I was alone the whole way out here. I was waiting for you guys to show up.”

I frown.
That's odd.
“Do you think she found the source of magic here? Maybe she went to recharge Excalibur.”

“Maybe...”

Eventually, we decide to wait.
Half an hour passes.

“Where is she?”

“We need to go look.”

“Right.”

We set off in search of Saber.

We go to the basement and start working our way up.
Nothing in the basement.
Nothing on the first floor.

The Second floor is clear.
There's only one more room.
We step inside.
It's a regular bathroom.
A shower embedded on one side of the wall, a small closet for laundry.

I go to check the shower while Arturia checks the closet.
It's foolish, but we're prepared for the worst.
I draw the shower curtain aside.

!
…...Nothing of note.
There's a small growth of mold around the drain.
Otherwise.......
Empty.

I hear the closet door shut.
When I turn around however, Arturia is nowhere to be found.
Just another fleeting shadow, like a inverted claw.

“Arturia?”

I open the closet door.
It's empty.

I'm scared.

…...I head upstairs.
I have to find Arturia.
The first two rooms are both small closets.

I open the one on the left.
It's empty.

The one on the right is empty as well, save for a set of fine suits, and a small pile of mothballs.

There's only one more room on this floor.

I open the door to the bedroom with the shrine in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------DEAD END
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2014, 05:26:24 am »

The Tiger Dojo is a strange hint corner.
If you wish to maintain the feel of the story or the characterizations within,
Or if you want to beat the game yourself,
Feel free to skip this scene, and the hints therein.

SCENE: Tiger Dojo 5
      View Scene: Yes / No

ILYA: Hmmm~?

ILYA: Sensei~~~~?

ILYA: Sensei is missing!

ILYA: Uwaaahh~! It's scary!

ILYA: We have to summon her back! Quick, say Pork Cutlet three times! She's sure to appear!

ILYA: Pork Cutlet! Pork Cutlet! Pork Cutlet!

TAIGA: Did someone say Anpan?

ILYA: Eh? No! That's wrong!

TAIGA: I'm going back then.

ILYA: Sensei.... How did you get under the floorboards?

TAIGA: I'm not afraid of ghosts.

ILYA: I.... Didn't say that. Sensei, we need to do the dojo!

TAIGA: Hwaaaa~! I feel totally refreshed and not frightened at all by that dead end!

ILYA: Sensei, I think you're overdoing it...

TAIGA: Welcome to the TAIGA DOJO! Where young heroes come to not die a second time!

ILYA: I'm the First Student and prettiest girl in the Game, Ilya Von Einzbern!

TAIGA: And I am your humble and beautiful teacher, Fujimura Taiga!

ILYA: A bunch of disappearances and a sudden end!

TAIGA: A rude awakening! A lesson in letting the past lie! Always keep incense on you at all times, in case you come across a shrine!

ILYA: Is that the rule...?

TAIGA: SO! Since the ghost doesn't actually exist, you weren't actually killed!

ILYA: Right! So you get to go back!

TAIGA: Stay sharp and choose rightly! Choose Justly! Choose.... THE OTHER OPTION!

ILYA: Right! It's that simple!

TAIGA: Obviously it's the other choice that's the correct one, so go back and meet that ancient beast!

ILYA: The knowledge is out there, in the heads of people who don't know it's true value, so please choose rightly!

TAIGA: Besides, Rin-chan has a perfect memory. And she's no help at all!

ILYA: Ah! I hear Sempai coming!

TAIGA: Ah! We better shut it down!

ILYA: Signing off for the Tiger Dojo! Bye bye~!

[Return to Last Choice.]
[Return to Scene Sele-

*THWACK*

TAIGA: Intruder! You dare step upon the maj- Urk!

RIN: Just trying to be useful.

ILYA: You're so cool, Sempai~!

[Return to Last Choice.]
[Return to Scene Select.]
Thou art I, I art Thou.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:42 pm »

Well that was creepy. Then again, it was a haunted house, so that's natural.

I think I'll vote 1.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2014, 05:41:47 pm »

Damnit Sakura. This is yet another reason why no-one likes you.
Also, Kiritsugu forgets the first rule of exploring creepy haunted places: send seaweed-sama in first.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2014, 07:37:07 pm »

Eh, 1, that was fun to read.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11