Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local weresquierrel infestation? 80+ lairs right next to the mountainhome  (Read 2072 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was playing in adventure mode, playing a dwarf that was heading to the mountainhome, when i ran into an area very close to my goal that i simply could not fast travel through, lair-lair-lair-lair-lair, no matter where i looked,
so i retired that adventurer, went there in fortress mode, and tried a very large embark over the area right next to the mountainhome

Just counting now, 64 weresquirrels, 16 werecoati, and one undead elf
WHAT?
THE?
FUCK?

Obviously i'm not using this exact embark, it took an 8x16 embark to cover the area i suspected contained the lairs..
but, there are so many of them in the area that almost any embark i try there will have at least a dozen weresquirrels?

So, the question is.. what do I do with this?
Do I actually WANT to embark on a site with a guarantee of several werecreatures?

what the?
-still stunned over this, first time i find more then one lair in an embark, and this area it's hard to embark on top of fewer then 10 at once...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Upload the save. FOR SCIENCE!!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok, that took longer then expected, well, here's the save :)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8509

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i have a sneaking suspicion that there might be so many of them because a squirrel isn't all that deadly, and the people they attack keep surviving :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I had a case similar to this, with just a ton of lairs in a tight cluster. I  went through as an adventurer, and I literally could not even finish off a single enemy before another vampire, or another werebeast of some kind came along trying to kill me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

makes me think, when they become a were-something, they become a menace to society, and go to live alone in a cave somewhere.. but when there are eighty of them in the area, almost all the same were thing..

time to stop hiding in a cave and build a town or something i would think...

John D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ya know, I dated a weresquirrel.

Well... her online dating pictures included a fat squirrel sitting on a park bench. So she had to be a weresquirrel.

Happily, I never dated an undead elf. That would have been weird.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)

i have a sneaking suspicion that there might be so many of them because a squirrel isn't all that deadly, and the people they attack keep surviving :P

James, I think it was, in the RTD Life Begins At Death. He was almost killed by a squirrel. I misremembered, it was a hare.

Back on topic here, I would think that were-lairs (lairs with werecreatures) would tend to cluster together near settlements because of the number of potential targets, which would further increase the population, and such. In theory, if one modded up a werecreature which wasn't deadly at all, you would see those all over the place (assuming said curse was given out in worldgen) for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:08:28 am by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile

Now you know my you fear the night
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile

WereSQUIRRELS?
What's next, a werethrip?

Oh god it gets so so so much worse ... Ware-Lamprey .... *shudder*

WARNING: Nightmare stuff.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I was playing in adventure mode, playing a dwarf that was heading to the mountainhome, when i ran into an area very close to my goal that i simply could not fast travel through, lair-lair-lair-lair-lair, no matter where i looked,
so i retired that adventurer, went there in fortress mode, and tried a very large embark over the area right next to the mountainhome

Just counting now, 64 weresquirrels, 16 werecoati, and one undead elf
WHAT?
THE?
FUCK?

Obviously i'm not using this exact embark, it took an 8x16 embark to cover the area i suspected contained the lairs..
but, there are so many of them in the area that almost any embark i try there will have at least a dozen weresquirrels?

So, the question is.. what do I do with this?
Do I actually WANT to embark on a site with a guarantee of several werecreatures?

what the?
-still stunned over this, first time i find more then one lair in an embark, and this area it's hard to embark on top of fewer then 10 at once...

That’s a hell of an infestation you’ve got there. I think you do WANT to embark on a site with the guarantee of several werecreatures, and capture them or pen them up somehow. Good experimental value, and now the save is uploaded we call all play around with it (until, of course, the new release comes out).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.