Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Long Live the Queen! A Mafia-Themed Succession Fort. [Year Two complete!]  (Read 35528 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Not even a year in and already two deaths.

Sounds about right.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile

Crazyduck, I hope a little old lady who wants to join the army, leaving her husband behind to immigrate, is crazy enough for you.  Playergamer, all the dwarves so far have had high skills- nobody useless yet.

works for me,thanks :D

also...wow,two guys dead,another seriously wounded in the first year?this sounds promising...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Could I request dwarfing please? As either a doctor or a nudist, if possible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Could I request dwarfing please? As either a doctor or a nudist, if possible.
Heya la!
Nice to see ya here. :)

I know just what to do with you. >:D

Also wow. 2 deaths. :c
We need pics on the undead. :P
Also judging by those secret parameters you told me...oh dear.

I know just what to construct in my year!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

1st of Moonstone

Despite the scare and the deaths, we seemed to recover well enough.  Not long after the attack, the traders I had contracted with arrived.  As we made our exchanges, they brought news.  It would appear that the Blood Queen is indeed aware of what is going on here, but is unable to make a direct attack.  According to him, she had plans, but there was no information on what those plans were.  Surely she could not control corpses to walk the earth... right?

We made our trades as we could, and sent him on his way.

The chill of winter was upon us.  Our food should last without any issue, especially with the fresh meat we had been getting.  But would we be attacked again?  Dakarian was constructing a gate for our wall, and I was designing a lever system so we could lock ourselves in from within the outpost.   We would need to train arms, and perhaps expand the walls.  We would survive.

26th of Opal

Work continues.   Our main hall has expanded across the river, and mine shafts have been dug there as well.  The caravan brought us an anvil, with which we were able to start up forges and other metalworking shops. 

Work was finished on a closing gate for the front wall, allowing us a modicum of security.  If the dead came back, we'd have time to organize our defense.  Org was recovering slowly, but the attacks of the dead left ragged, infected cuts.  We've dug a cistern with with to fill a well from the river.  Even if we're cut off from above, we'll have fresh water from below.

Webadict spends most of his time in the mine tunnels now.  I hope he's okay.

17th of Obsidian

I was up top when I saw Crazyduck struggling in with a massive form.  My jaw dropped a bit as I ran up to her.  "Do you need help with that?"

"Nope!  I've got it!"  She gave me a huge grin and kept dragging.   We'll be eating that for months.

Months.

30th of Obsidian

"I knew it!  I knew something was up!  Blast that bitch Queen!"

Webadict was in a towering rage, and I didn't blame him one bit.  We all were angry.

A messenger has arrived, bringing dire news.  The queen's plans had been found out, and they were dire indeed.  It appears that years ago she had made a friend of a necromancer dwarf, who had constructed a tower nearby in secret.  This tower was very close to where we had been sent!  She had passed word of our location to him, and in exchange for his destruction of our fort, our corpses would be his to raise as an army.  We had been set up, even before we had left!  Webadict took it worst of all.

"I knew there was no blasted iron here!  I bet there's not a bit of it anywhere on the site!  That bastard in the Surveyor's office was working for the Queen the whole time!  No wonder she knew we were here- she let us go, hoping she could get us all killed out here.  Arrgh!"  He sat down hard, muttering curses under his breath.

It was too late to move.  We were stuck out here near a crazed necromancer, who would surely send more undead after us.  There was no metal in the ground for arms and armor.  Worse yet, the message indicated that the queen wanted to get a mole in among us, who would send reports back to keep tabs on us.  Who could be trusted?  We needed all the hands we could get, but who was truly on our side?

It was a dark day.  All I wanted to do now was work in the still and in the machine shop.  I didn't want to organize the fort- I just wanted to do what had be done.

And that's turn 1!  Save is here will be here when DFFD starts cooperating for me Let's just try Google Drive.

Not sure how you want to run the narrative, but you could always just do third person, or "4mask observes from beyond the pale."  I won't tell you what to do.

I labeled the front gate lever, despite it being the only one.  Well's done, Org is back up and walking (barely), food's good, plenty of wood, no metal except what I brought and bought.

That's the real embark map there- I may have edited the original slightly for suspense and storytelling. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:35:55 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Mind dorfing me?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

On the list you go!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Alright, 4mask, get this fort to glory!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

Alright, 4mask, get this fort to glory!
Yes, yes, I'll get to that. In a little while...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I wonder if I should write my tips in written lore form, or just make it OOC commentary.

Because there's this 'thing' about wells in deeming them actually safe and pure. A...really technical thing.

I can go into heavy architecture for it if you'd like Toaster. :P

Will edit here, of course. Just...curious. Never tried writing for a community fort yet.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Do whatever you like!  Aside from the basic guidelines, the person running the turn has full creative control.

Speaking of wells, I totally meant to put a grate on the inlet and forgot.  Whoopsie!  I even made the grate, then absentmindedly dug it out before installing it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I even made the grate, then absentmindedly dug it out before installing it.
^SO MANY TIMES IVE DONE THIS
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I even made the grate, then absentmindedly dug it out before installing it.
^SO MANY TIMES IVE DONE THIS
Can maybe fix? I don't know, I may just scrap that well area and use another.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Scrapping it would probably be less effort.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scrapping it would probably be less effort.
fuck alligators.

FUCK ALLIGATORS.

STOP INTERRUPTING MY WORKERS AND CRAWLING INTO MY FORTRESS, ONLY TO SLINK OFF WHEN NO NOM NOMS ARE IN SIGHT. EITHER WALK INTO THE CAGE TRAPS OR STAY THE HELL OUT.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24