Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Is it wrong of me to think of the whole Mozilla fiasco as a pretty ugly result?  (Read 22346 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*shrugs vaguely* Suffering, maybe not, but accounting for? Sure. You do damage and don't run damage control, yeah, that's going to kick you in the arse a decade later. Supposed to or not, that's the reality of the situation these days. Blame the internet -- people effectively no longer forget. Six years isn't even that long ago.

And again -- you put up incriminating facebook photos when you're 15? That can cost you a job when you're 21 here in the states, easy -- and the likelihood of it doing so, especially with any serious positions, is increasing. I'd say this situation is no different. E: Well, except that it's actually someone at the top taking the shot to the crotch this time. Shoe's on the other foot now, haha!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:56:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

But becayse you can be punished for those stupid pics on FB you posted 6 years ago doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Didn't say it was. Or wasn't, for that matter. Just said it is. Don't like it, well, work toward doing something about it. Expressing dislike doesn't hurt the cause, so that's a start.

Good luck. Companies are realizing they can make more money by policing what you do outside of work, and by making sure you didn't do stupid shit (from the company perspective, mind) a decade ago. This sort of thing isn't going to go away.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I see it as seperate things.
I have friends who are assholes- heck, I'm one of them. My friends say:
"Sure, he's a dick, but he's damn funny." Or:
"He can be a tool, but he's got a big heart."

This guy didn't get into office because he's a homophobe- he's obviously got some pretty terrific business acumen, which people don't seem to be realizing.

So if I were to be using Firefox and found it out, I'd say "sure, he's a homophobe, but he runs an awesome business."

Crazy, right? Not really.
John Howard: "Homophobe, but great political leader"
H.P. lovecraft: "Racist, but great horror writer"

And so on it goes. People are not one thing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

Yet when people think back on John Howard, for most Australians it isn't too kindly. History hasn't treated Lovecraft as a person too well either.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But that was 6 years ago. If he made a speech while CEO saying "You know, gays are evils", yeah, sure fire him if you want. But that was a donation 6 years ago. Is he supposed to spend the rest of his life suffering for that?

I said before. Someone wanted him gone so he dug up shit on him and after sprinkling it with some half truths released it to the mases.
The rest is pure alarmism and slippery slope logic of the same caliber used by extreme right wingers when they try to prove that gays are evil sodomites that try to demolish the traditional american family values one peace at a time (first they marry one another then they try to brainwash our kids in schools! and one day they might want to legalize pedphilia!!!!).

This is amusing since it's the first time i see alarmism and slippery slope being used by the "other side" because ALL this guy did was pushing a law in a 100% democratic and legal manner but got somehow turned into a neo nazi of sorts after 6 years of being apparently perfectly OK.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yet when people think back on John Howard, for most Australians it isn't too kindly. History hasn't treated Lovecraft as a person too well either.
Yes, but we haven't gone around burning Lovecraft books in solidarity; and his posthumous fame only increases.

Whelp, I guess we can just keep sabotaging our own shit until the rest of the world that doesn't give a damn about gay rights gains prominence.

This is amusing since it's the first time i see alarmism and slippery slope being used by the "other side"
Politics is dirty m8, no one leaves it clean

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yet when people think back on John Howard, for most Australians it isn't too kindly.
I disagree, especially where 'most Australians' are concerned.
And especially in the current political hoo-ah.

IMO, Eyebrows was one of the most fiscally responsible leaders we've ever had, and as a conservative who brought in gun control, he gave us bragging rights against America forever.
His only real screwup was selling Telstra, and that was because the country kind of had it's ass to a wall at the time.

But to the general public he's usually seen as 'better than Paul Keating'.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

So if I were to be using Firefox and found it out, I'd say "sure, he's a homophobe, but he runs an awesome business."
"...but also is losing us huge amounts of money and customers in boycotts due to being a homophobe.  So I guess we should get rid of him".

The rest is pure alarmism and slippery slope logic of the same caliber used by extreme right wingers when they try to prove that gays are evil sodomites that try to demolish the traditional american family values one peace at a time (first they marry one another then they try to brainwash our kids in schools! and one day they might want to legalize pedphilia!!!!).
Crafting malicious and harmful lies about a whole group of people is absolutely nothing like pointing out an actual action that an individual publicly took.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IMO the people who are boycotting Mozilla because of something it's CEO did that's completely unrelated to Mozilla itself are the assholes here.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crafting malicious and harmful lies about a whole group of people is absolutely nothing like pointing out an actual action that an individual publicly took.

Except the individual went ahead and did what he did according to the laws of US of A (and that initiative failed anyway). The reaction that came 6 years later was more compareable to him running over a bunch of afro american preschoolers in a car and running from the scene of crime only to be found guilty after 6 years of hiding and evading the police.
It's like persecuting someone for donating to kickstart "Muslim Massacre 2" 6 years ago. Better yet donating to kickstart a game that didn't meet the minimum donation quota and weren't succesfully kickstarted anyway.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Him not having politically correct views is bad for business- but he wasn't the spokesperson for the company- and had a board of directors who were there to prevent any of his worldview slipping into his policies (or he did, before they all left).

But at the end of the day I guess discrimination in all forms is wrong- black and white..

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except the individual went ahead and did what he did according to the laws of US of A (and that initiative failed anyway). The reaction that came 6 years later was more compareable to him running over a bunch of afro american preschoolers in a car and running from the scene of crime only to be found guilty after 6 years of hiding and evading the police.
Sorry wait, am I supposed to be siding with the hit-and-run driver in this scenario?

It's like persecuting someone for donating to kickstart "Muslim Massacre 2" 6 years ago. Better yet donating to kickstart a game that didn't meet the minimum donation quota and weren't succesfully kickstarted anyway.
Are you capable of making an argument that isn't a ridiculous analogy?  Trying to prevent people from getting married is clearly different to supporting a tasteless game.  The fact that his cause failed is irrelevant (although prop 8 did actually succeed, so I guess you're saying the fact that it's since been overturned absolves him of guilt??)

Also I can't see what any of that has to do with the specific objection I raised to your previous analogy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:29:31 am by Leafsnail »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Sorry wait, am I supposed to be siding with the hit-and-run driver in this scenario?
No, people are acting like that's the case. But he didn't do anything illegal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh I see.  Well the thing about freedom of speech is that you're allowed to verbally condemn someone's actions even if what they did was legal.

In addition I think another problem was that Eich didn't apologize for the donation and avoided answering questions of whether he is still anti-gay marriage.  So he still holds those views.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16