Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Is it wrong of me to think of the whole Mozilla fiasco as a pretty ugly result?  (Read 22275 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2. I think that person should be allowed to do whatever they want. I don't understand so-called anti-discrimination laws, that lead to crazy results. If a business owner doesn't want to hire black people, or Polish people, or women, or whoever else, nobody should force him to do that. But you can stop buying there, if you don't like it. That's simple and effective way to make everybody happy, because if somebody is unacceptable to other people, he will be driven out of business. Why make government intervene*?

*Mind you, government itself might need some form of such laws (see: slave states). It's just that I don't really see the difference between prosecuting racists and members of a race. Let live and let live, and hang the criminals.

Because so many businesses are effectively extensions of the government; like all the communications monopolies Cable/Telephone/TV Stations; companies that do business with the government (janitorial/printing/construction contractors, etc); or businesses that the govt. and those companies depend on indirectly, such as restaurants their employees eat at.

See, there's your problem. Cut the government, and you will solve so many problems at once...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Have you looked into Chromium? It's basically the open-source version of Chrome. Some of its derivative (like Epic Browser) seems cool too. Still, I guess I'll stay with Firefox for now, I like my add-ons too much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I don't think a program can be anti-gay.

I'm envisaging some sort of ultra advanced browsing history analytical thing that locks you out if you spend too much time looking at pictures of well oiled abs.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

What's wrong with watching the Turkish national sport?

((Seriously, not only do they wrestle covered in oil wearing nothing but leather pants, you actually win by getting your hands in the other guys' pants))

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

you win by getting your hands in the other guys' pants

And while playing the sport, I assume.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, yeah, just like you can't win a football match by going on the field at night and scoring goal against no opponents....

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

What's wrong with watching the Turkish national sport?

((Seriously, not only do they wrestle covered in oil wearing nothing but leather pants, you actually win by getting your hands in the other guys' pants))

This stuff is actually kinda impressive. Looks damn hard.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Well, he's a new "Corporation being bullied by the internet" story...

Chili's cancels fundraiser with National Autism Association

(misleading quote) "Everybody was all heated up and wanting to boycott. It was bullying. It was orchestrated by a small number of people who wanted to deny assistance to families that we serve through our program."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/07/news/companies/chilis-autism/index.html
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Chili's on Monday canceled a fundraiser with the National Autism Association, a group that links autism to vaccinations.
This is completely fair. Groups that try to link vaccines to autism are horrible and are anti-science/medicine/progress. They are killing people because of their stupidity.
They are a legitimate charity though. And they do help people with autism, but I still find what they are espousing (eg. Don't have your child get a vaccine that can save his/her life) terrible and unsupportable.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, he's a new "Corporation being bullied by the internet" story...

(misleading quote) "Everybody was all heated up and wanting to boycott. It was bullying. It was orchestrated by a small number of people who wanted to deny assistance to families that we serve through our program."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/07/news/companies/chilis-autism/index.html

Taking action against a company because of the company's policy  is exactly the sort of thing every single person in this thread has been totally cool with. So not... really relevant at all to the contentious issue previously being discussed.

It's the difference between pro-life folks boycotting a company because it advocates abortion, and between them boycotting a company because the CEO once had an abortion.

Though too be honest, I could totally see a bunch of conservative assholes boycotting a charity because the CEO once had an abortion. -_-
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:26:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Good.

Though too be honest, I could totally see a bunch of conservative assholes boycotting a charity because the CEO once had an abortion. -_-
This analogy is very clearly invalid.  It would have to be the CEO making a donation to a pro-abortion cause for it to be comparable, which I don't think is too ridiculous a situation.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This analogy is very clearly invalid.  It would have to be the CEO making a donation to a pro-abortion cause for it to be comparable, which I don't think is too ridiculous a situation.
Whatever, same difference. Go with whichever you prefer. The point is "CEO once did a thing we think is wrong, so we need to make sure that this organization suffers for employing them", the details are relatively unimportant.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

It would have to be the CEO making a donation to a pro-abortion cause for it to be comparable, which I don't think is too ridiculous a situation.
Which is where our opinions differ. Has that been established now?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whatever, same difference. Go with whichever you prefer. The point is "CEO once did a thing we think is wrong, so we need to make sure that this organization suffers for employing them", the details are relatively unimportant.

You realize the terms to that are so broad that your argument works against anything like, oh to go extreme, murder, and other things I'm pretty sure nobody would have issue boycotting against, right? Would anybody seriously have an issue if people wanted to boycott Mozilla for hiring Charles Manson as their CEO?

But yes, they could boycott a female CEO who had an abortion once, but they wouldn't be horrible people for attempting to get political change via boycotting... they'd be horrible people for victimizing a woman based on her choice of bodily autonomy. They'd be horrible for supporting such an ignorant yet harmful view. There are plenty of reasons they'd be horrible people but boycotting a business based on their CEO appointment decision due to personal actions that person has taken which they find morally appalling wouldn't be one of them.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16