Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Games with "Dynamic Campaigns" (similar to Starshatter) ?  (Read 21812 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with "Dynamic Campaigns" (similar to Starshatter) ?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

The new Warlock masters of Arcana has a dynamic campaign. Standard 4x but with a plot to essentially kill god.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »

Did anyone else read it as "Starshitter"?
Derek Smart, of 'Bugcruiser 3000' and 'Desktop Commander Millennium' infamy, once referred to Starshatter as that.
Yeah...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »

ACK! We had a perfectly nice forum here, but now you went and said his name!  He'll be here any moment now, thanks for nothing.

;)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 12:48:42 am »

IIRC, Anno 1701 was something like that. You come back to the same cities you have built up later in the campaign, and I think in some of the later campaigns, you get resources based on how you've developed your cities previously. This was an awfully long time ago, so I might have remembered it wrong.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 02:16:54 am »

I suppose Battlefront 2's conquest mode would count where you can play as Rebels vs. Empire, or Clones vs. Droids. And then attempt to take over the star wars universe capturing planet by planet or in space battles.

Edit: By battlefront, I mean Star wars: Battlefront 2.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:39 am »

Got a chance to try Men of War: Assault Squad DCG recently. It definitely ties together all of the skirmishes you perform, and unit persistence is also pretty nice. I'm fairly happy with it, but each operation seems fairly small and limited - I'd love to see a big, big giant campaign map to tie operations together.

Also, my units tend to have such enormous turnover that persistence doesn't matter too much :P

So, all in all, it isn't perfect, but does scratch that itch where each battle has more meaning than if it was an isolated one :)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 09:34:47 am »

Did anyone else read it as "Starshitter"?
Derek Smart, of 'Bugcruiser 3000' and 'Desktop Commander Millennium' infamy, once referred to Starshatter as that.
Yeah...

Well i kinda likes Battlecruiser 3000. It gave you quite a bit of freedom for a game made in the 90's. But yeah i remember that the early versions literally crawed with bugs like a week old carcass left i the woods.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »

I loved the concept and details of battlecruiser...a shame the game was never refined to be more than a proof of concept tech demo (at least thats how it feels)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »

I think its a shame the game went generalised instead of "this is the ship you get"

Instead of the same game with a paint job and some tweaked mechanics we could've got new game play features like sending marines over to board other ships, or walking around our ship and shooting boarders in the face with our fancy wrist laser.
Or a universe where stuff actually happened instead of things spawning every so often.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 03:25:07 am »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm weirdly not in the mood for strategy games (which is weird since they use to be my second favourite genre), so I ended up playing Starshatter with a joystick (first time using joystick) - and everyone looking for dynamic campaign games should have a try on this one.

Then I went to Falcon 4 with recent BMS mods and stuffs and learned how to startup and perform tests on an F16, and even land without landing gears.
But to do any seeious flying, I need to learn a lot of stuff. And I have to be careful with those Sims, since last time I checked I was reading real life stuff like USAF procedures, F16 specifications and NATO brevity words. And I had no idea of these things before launching Falcon 4.
I didn't get to play the dynamic campaign yet because I want to do it properly.. I could learn the weapons systems and keep landing like a retard only on intuition and be good to go, but that would be way too much FUN.

Once again thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think that more people would like dynamic campaigns, and its cool to know that people mod games to implement that.  :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:26:59 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 10:51:46 pm »

Yeah, I've heard wonders about the Falcon 4 DCG. Unfortunately, it's a little too much dedication for my plate. I'm not too into modern stuff, and while I did have some fun with DCS A-10C Warthog, I can't really get myself to study all the intricacies of all the systems installed on a modern aircraft...

Once you do get it up and running, let us all know what all the fuss is about :D

Also, I'll give a little shout out to Silent Hunter 4. It doesn't really have a dynamic campaign exactly, but I believe it is persistent (sink a ship and it's sunk forever!) and largely freeform. I'm running Trigger Maru Overhaul with Run Silent, Run Deep, which are two mods that make the game more realistic and historically accurate. It's great fun if you're into naval stuff. After reading up about the naval brawls in the Guadalcanal campaign, makes me wish there was a game that implemented surface combat like they do in SH4, but for big ships. Anyway, I'm rambling again... :)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 11:30:51 pm »

So, whats the best way to go about playing Starshatter?  is TGS the way to go, or the original game described here:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80935.0

Also, does sandbox style play count, similar to Starpoint Gemini (elite / privateer style) or does it need to be more of an actual campaign, like Space Rangers or something?

Here is some random fodder I've found on the internets, I'm not familiar with most, but people have described these as dynamic campaign games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Total_Air_War
http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php <- for IL-2 Sturmovik

http://www.pcgamesn.com/indie/indie-space-combat-sim-enemy-starfighter-boasts-dynamic-campaign-mission-planning-lots-screen-shake/

I assume you dont want 4X like the Total War series, or Civ?

But I'm guessing things like Mount and Blade are in?

How about ARMA2?  Finally picked it up on a bundle, I hear the campaign play is dynamic.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 05:02:28 am »

A - Apache vs Havok - Global map changes depending on what you accomplish during missions... be warned tho as in the beginning all you are allowed to do by the "command" are patrols and you rarely get to do interesting things during those.
Semi-seconding this. Not this game specifically, but the Enemy Engaged games in general. I played only the Comanche Vs. Hokum game, and it's actually quite fun for a hard-ish helicopter simulator.

There's also the game called Echelon, and its sequel Echelon: Wind Warriors, which is rather unique in the kind of "aircraft" that it lets the user fly. The game campaign follows preset missions, but it's all on one giant island map, and it's possible to fail objectives or complete bonus objectives, causing future missions to be altered accordingly.

And if nebulous definitions of "campaign" are allowed, there is also the Space Rangers game(s). Since at its core it is an RPG kinda thing, it has more of a "sandbox universe" than a "dynamic campaign", and it goes along regardless of what you do. But you directly influence the developments and events in the universe, and your actions are never the only, and frequently far from anywhere near the most important thing happening in regards to overcoming the threat the universe faces.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 12:03:45 pm »

So, whats the best way to go about playing Starshatter?  is TGS the way to go, or the original game described here:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80935.0
the download in that link is TGS

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »

Rise of Nations had a neat dynamic campaign, sort of. I think it was really only truly available in the expansion, but from what I can remember it was fought over a Risk-style map. When you fought, there were a variety of missions that could be selected for the map. It could be that you don't have a base but have a decent army with supply wagons and need to take down enemy outposts, or it could be that you have to defend from enemy raids, or you play normally, or etc.

Very, very good game, but I don't think tons of people got into it unfortunately. It blended RTS and TBS so well with it's timed system for gathering resources.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4