Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Design of a Dwarf Fortress  (Read 16296 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design of a Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 11:02:06 pm »

Building in the mouth of a volcano right now. The lava started really low in the crater, so I'm treating it as sort-of a "reverse tower"

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:39 am »

I
Central staircase with no more than 20 steps off the staircase (X/Y) to reach anything, including well, bedrooms, stockpiles, clothing, weapons, food, tables, and workshops.
Typically I use less than 10 Z levels, including all bedrooms, for an ~80 population dwarf fort.  Keeps pathfinding load to a minimum, very easy to manage.

I usually go for something similar: Central Staircase with the workshops aligned around it, with each profession having one z-level.
There are usually also some "backdoors", like from the butchery to the tannery/craftswdwarf, and generally rooms and stockpiles being laid out in production order (farms->plant stockpile->still->seed stockpile->farms over multiple z-levels). Levels contain barracks for all the dwarfs who work in it, so they sleep right next to their workplace.

On the bottom of the stairs is the main hall, lavishly decked out with booze/food stored next to it. Entrances (above and below) are through the barracks of elite squads.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 05:02:54 am »

... and correct me if I'm wrong, but just to make everything perfectly clear, you can't farm in a mountain biome even if you do irrigate the soil/sand/clay. ...
Correct.  There is no farming in a mountain biome, at all, ever, no matter what. :)

The Incas would disagree.

hlavaczech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 05:12:29 am »

Thanks for all the responses.
So for the inspiration, its Moria, Erebor, Ironforge and Orzammar so far. All quite similar :)

Have you ever came across some book, a film or a game that would display a different kind dwarvish habitat?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:29 am »

Quote from: hlavaczech
Have you ever came across some book, a film or a game that would display a different kind dwarvish habitat?

No. All dwarves are the same.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:14 am »

... and correct me if I'm wrong, but just to make everything perfectly clear, you can't farm in a mountain biome even if you do irrigate the soil/sand/clay. ...
Correct.  There is no farming in a mountain biome, at all, ever, no matter what. :)
Not even in the caverns? The Dwarven civs get their plants only with herbalists?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 07:13:46 am »

Not even in the caverns? The Dwarven civs get their plants only with herbalists?
Underground farms will work perfectly in any biome, actually - the problem is irrigation, if you have no soil, since you can't grow on straight rock.
くコ:彡

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:29 am »

Thanks for all the responses.
So for the inspiration, its Moria, Erebor, Ironforge and Orzammar so far. All quite similar :)

WoW also has hill dwarf-y settlements (the dwarven lvl 10-20 area, the wildhammer clan), and both WoW and others have had dwarven districts in human cities, which of course tend to be the smithy/industrial areas.

D&D (mostly discussing 3.x versions of the settings) has at least 2 types of deep dwarves (both evil) iirc, and a "fire dwarf" (their beards and hair are made of flame) race/creature that mostly live in the elemental plane of fire. All 3 build cities. The regular dwarves often have at least mountain/hill subtypes, sometimes also city or barbarian variants.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:57 pm »

My current fort is built around a borehole, there is a walkway around the hole on each level, and every room is on those walkways.
The only way in is through a drawbridge at the top of the hole.
A bunch of gobbos tried to get in, and i lifted the bridge just in time, they fell to the botton, around 5 z-levels at that moment and got rushed by an imprivised military. Gobbos punched to death.
I plan to get it really deep.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

Neuschwanstein above, Boatmurdered below.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »

I usually want to build my fortresses a bit like Boatmurdered - or any fort in .23, across same z-level. Well, not entirely in one z-level, but certainly more horizontally than vertically. This usually means pretty long walking distances, but it's minor problem. It's just so satisfying to see most of your fortress at one glance, perfectly in one z-level.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »

I used StoneSense, and I got the galleons really close when I built them,l with them all requiring very few touch ups. So, the most fanciful fort I ever made were three large galleons in the ocean.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:27 pm »

I used StoneSense, and I got the galleons really close when I built them,l with them all requiring very few touch ups. So, the most fanciful fort I ever made were three large galleons in the ocean.

Glad I could help. I am having very little luck with my fort. Basically I have friendly "tame" ogres that are too smart to be butchered or war trained, and too dumb to do most jobs.

BASICALLY, I have super strong ogres, 10 times the size of humans, who are fishing, farming hippies. Frees up my other minions from those jobs, but still.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »

I think I'm going to stop using StoneSense and I'll switch to using Overseer to view my projects.

GENERATION 29:

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 03:01:35 pm »

Central staircase with no more than 20 steps off the staircase (X/Y) to reach anything, including well, bedrooms, stockpiles, clothing, weapons, food, tables, and workshops.
Typically I use less than 10 Z levels, including all bedrooms, for an ~80 population dwarf fort.  Keeps pathfinding load to a minimum, very easy to manage.

This is similar to my ideal fort as well. In a perfect world, I could build what amounts to a tower underground. Slim, perfectly symmetrical. Apartment blocks, workshop levels, everything contained. Of course, the caverns tend to ruin that dream.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4