Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Design of a Dwarf Fortress  (Read 16293 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Design of a Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »

My most successful fort yet goes like this:

On the first floor, made of clay loam, goes a bunch of stockpiles and a craft room. Later, I'm going to renovate it into a full on military floor.
The second is just a few sand halls; civilian crap like dormitories and maybe a workshop or two to be safe will go there, but for now it's just a big office at the end of a hall.
The third is a farm, which rotates out plump helmets, dimple cups, quarry bushes, and pig tails, among others, to feed the dwarves. The kitchens (i.e. butcher's, literal kitchen, fishery, still) all go on this floor.
the fourth is a massive stone hall. There are four rooms: one for making things (the entire metalsmithing industry here for now), three empty rooms, and a little mine off to the side. The dorm will come down here someday. The hallway is completely engraved, complete with a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's basic, and all the rooms are square, but it works. There's a little fort on top of the stairs to keep out the meanies. Under a nearby hillside is the Four Corners Trade Center, my trade depot.

Also, my still is an awesome blue because it's made out of microcline.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:34 pm »

I've jumbled between a dozen forts specially designed so far

Everything from underground city (with actual constructed buildings in a cavern)
A large Japanese styled tower castle (45 stories tall)
A surface town built entirely of wood (damn monkeys stole my picks real early on, decided not to ragequit, actually turned out pretty fun)
A handful of war forts, bristling with masterwork ballista, 100 dorf fulltime militias, with the rest of the citizens also trained.
Also have 1 fort which became my little testbed for designs. Includes 3 airships (which kinda suck, working on a new design), and a dozen... "tanks". Mostly steel buildings with 2 floors second one is fortifications, and they just kinda sit out in the field away from my fort, manned by 5-6 full-time marksman.

Currently am working on an oceanic embark. Main fort is on a peninsula in the center. Kind of a European (an european?? Grammar nazis, this one trips me up) style star fort (8 point) with overlapping ballista, still in its early stages though so I'm only working out of my regular basic square fort.
The star fort isn't the main goal however. After I get that all done and am pushing 150 dorfs, I'm going to delve into the magma sea, build a mass system to raise magma, and construct an obsidian "drydock" in the harbor to the south of my fort. In the drydock, I'll cast the hull of a great ship for all living kind to escape the Armok forsaken island we are trapped on.
(srsly, most worldgens end up with a couple continents. Year 125 at the start, my continent, has 1 group of each dorfs, humans, elves, goblins, and kabolds. However 70% of the continent is overrun with undead, can't even run an adventurer here because theres just too many undead, 3 of the previous civs have died off, and even the goblins are willing to trade with me)

92 Ursts long, 22 wide. Armor 1 urst think in most of the superstructure, however 2 ursts thick around the weapons and waterline. Powered by 12 dorven turbines, powering 24 propellers. Also includes a magma "reactor" storing ~900 units of magma. Onboard housing should be able to comfortably hold ~120 dorfs, and feed them regularly. However in case of emergency, more can be loaded.
Armed with 12 (2 forward, 2 aft, 4 per side) minecart "cannons" (still toying with the micro design based on an older design someone had up on the forums) 32 Ballista (100% masterwork, 8 fore, in "casemates" around the "cannons" 8 aft in similar manner, and 8 per side, flanking the cannons, also these have a minecart based reloading system, though still need to be dorf fired tho)
Superstructure, will contain the mess, bridge, large portions of living quarters, and a CNC room (all the levers)
Upper decks 1/2 (1 being the same height as nearby shore) will have the weapons, and in the superstructure will contain stockpiling/Depot
Waterline will contain loading systems for the cannons, the turbines, and the workshops.
B1 is farming space, treegrowth, and the reactor. B2 is more workspace, storage, pasturing.
And b3 is the bilge, which is split into bulkheads, and partially filled with water. All crewmemebrs will have mandatory swimming training no less than once every 3 months.

Then down the lines after that, there will be a pair of large transports (currently, with legends viewer there appear to be ~ 3000 humanoids alive on this continent, and I'm gonna RP, taking them all away from it)
And then I'll sit there any realize I wasted 2 months of my life working on building something that doesn't even work. Such is the life of a dorf player.  Thats my plan looking out for the next 2 months or so. But hey I can always be overrun by the hordes of undead that are plaguing the land.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »

Reverse tower spikes hanging from the ceiling of the caverns is easy AND manageable, with plenty of space and opportunity for hilarious 10+ z-level drops from 'accidents'. I have actually noticed quite recently that building DOWN is easier than building UP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only the best dwarves live in populated stalactites. Plus a few aired walkways for A: Being awesome and B: Easy access for flying forgotten beasts. Kind of rings a bit Halo-1-esque.

And by the way, cave adaptation is best adaptation.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest, I'd say the difficulty of this is about a 3, only raised by cavern creatures that fly.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]