Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156506 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1590 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »

I can think of one - "Axing polackses." With an incorrect plural, and a slur that might only exist in German...

I've been referring to the word 'poleaxe'.
Yeah, me too (sorta). Polack is a (kind of old-timey) slur for Polish people in Germany; but since the descendants of the Polish migrants from the 19th century are completely assimilated (and have the same skin color...), nobody uses it anymore.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 30, 2014, 03:17:16 am »

I can think of one - "Axing polackses." With an incorrect plural, and a slur that might only exist in German...

I've been referring to the word 'poleaxe'.
Yeah, me too (sorta). Polack is a (kind of old-timey) slur for Polish people in Germany; but since the descendants of the Polish migrants from the 19th century are completely assimilated (and have the same skin color...), nobody uses it anymore.

Yeah, I know, it actually IS sometimes used as a slur in English, AFAIK. I've been referring to what Soli said in his post.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:37:24 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1593 on: April 30, 2014, 05:57:45 am »

NASA will be happy about this. Meanwhile, didn't the Russian space agency have to procure a lot of their funding via taxi services?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 30, 2014, 06:11:12 am »

While many people in this thread (me included) have the impression that the sanctions so far do not seem to do that much, the IMF says Russia is sliding into recession, mainly due to investor flight.

Yeah, I know, it actually IS sometimes used as a slur in English, AFAIK.
It is. They also have Polish jokes, because laziness in TV writers is pretty international.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:14:36 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 30, 2014, 07:25:22 am »

Looking at NASA's launch schedule for this year.
3 Crew launches to ISS from Baikonur
Flight 40- 1 American, 1 European, 3 Russians
Flight 41- 2 American, 1 European. 3 Russians
flight 42- 2 Americans, 1 European. 3 Russians.
3 space X resupply missions.
2 Russian Progress resupply missions.
2 Orbital sciences resupply missions.
orbital carbon observatory from vandenberg on a delta II
soil moisture passive satellite from vandenberg on a delta II.
Comparison of Cargo vehicles:
Progress: 2,350 kg cargo.
Dragon: 3,300 kg cargo.
Cygnus: 2,700kg cargo.
So supply wise commercial vehicles are quite enough, to keep the station going, but SpaceX won't be ready to launch a crewed dragon capsule untill sometime next year. Perhaps China has some spare Soyez Shenzhau's ready untill then?
Also related:
The Atlas V used by the US military uses russian built rd-180 rocket engines,
The Antares used by orbital sciences has its first stage built in Eastern Ukraine.
Nasa is supposed to launch the first test of the Orion vehicle this year, But the first crewed mission will be sometime after 2020.
This mission will use the Delta IV which is american built.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:49:28 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 30, 2014, 07:50:18 am »

Well, you could stop sending astronauts for a few years, or rush the SpaceX capsule like it's the 1960's again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1598 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:47 am »

@Guardian G.I.: Using artillery and airstrikes sounds like overkill and counterproductive, they want to take back the buildings, not destroy them, much less crater the places that they are occupying. Plus the use of artillery and airstrikes will just make the population even more against the Kiev government.

They really should hurry up with the Orion, of course though, Congress refuses to give NASA the funding that could speed up the research and progress. Anyways, yeah, the US and Russian space programs are pretty intertwined.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:57:43 am by smjjames »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:47 am »

Still, NASA has spaceX, but EU has nothing, they will be constructing significant parts of the constellation program though.
Japan also has robotic resupply vehicles. I guess they could just leave the current crew up for a year or 2 and keep sending supplies and experiments. In an emergency a stock dragon capsule could get people home without needing additional life support (citation needed). Also in an emergency they could use the dragon as-is to get crew up, it's just not safety rated to NASA requirements. But from the start it was designed as a human crew vehicle. Space X really want to wait until they can get a controlled landing at a place of their choosing, but in a pinch apollo style splashdown is fine, albeit expensive.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 30, 2014, 09:12:38 am »

The EU has the Ariane series. Also known as the sattelite launchers that captured more than half the sattelite market during the last 2 decades (less so for this one, concurrention is increasing). After all, the European Space program is primarly a space program, not a prestige project; we don't need a manned launcher. The ISS is the only manned space project Europe is participating in, and if no one is willing to share a personnel launcher with us, I highly doubt the cooperation will be there to support the station.

We might have some trouble with the Soyuz, but cooperation between Europe and Russia is to important for the Russians to pull the plug permanently.

Anyway, rockets take a bloody long time to construct. They can't build an additional capsule in a ew months.

And the default Dragon can not be used to transport people. The ones used for ISS supply runs do not have a lifesupport system installed. They have to take in air from the ISS. Also, they lack seats.

Edit: In an emergency, the station will simply be abandonned. It can stay there for quite some time without human interference.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 30, 2014, 09:18:18 am »

Hey, we have the ATV and the Ariane 5! No independent manned flight capability though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1602 on: April 30, 2014, 09:21:28 am »

Lets just hope that space debris doesn't punch a hole in it while we temporarily abandon it. Though they could control the stations thrusters remotely if necessary.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 30, 2014, 09:32:15 am »

Hey, we have the ATV and the Ariane 5! No independent manned flight capability though.
Why would we need that, anyway? It's not like there's any non-propaganda benefit to manning a space station.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:32 am »

Lets just hope that space debris doesn't punch a hole in it while we temporarily abandon it. Though they could control the stations thrusters remotely if necessary.
The thrusters are always controlled remotely/automated. I mean, there's no reason to have your (expensive) astronauts drive around the station rather than doing anything.

But anyway, Russia is not going to cancel these launches. The US* pays 60 million USD per passenger, and that's support they really can't do without.

*ESA works with barter agreements, IIRC..

Why would we need that, anyway? It's not like there's any non-propaganda benefit to manning a space station.
Indeed, there have been talks suggesting the decommissioning of the ISS shortly after it's completion in 2020.

Anyway, the largest research benefit of putting people in space is seeing how people react to being put in space. Everything else can be automated.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 136