Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156625 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2014, 03:20:05 am »

Except in this case the comparison to Hitler is inappropriate, as it is used with derogatory intent. You're not comparing totalitarian regimes factually, you're specifically exaggerating the similarity from your personal point of view, to force a likeness between Putin and Hitler. Granted, the comparison you provided works better than these usually tend to - but your point of view is sufficiently biased for it to be seen as inappropriate, thus falling under the Godwin's Law.

In other words, just because you play the Hitler card because you actually believe the comparison to be true, rather than because you have no better argument, does not prevent it from still being inappropriate if it mostly happens to be your personal opinion.
A piece of advice: Whenever you expect reductio ad Hitlerum, replace all the Hitler- or Nazi-related terms with abstract ones and see if it makes sense. Just because someone uses examples with stronger negative (or "inappropriate") connotations doesn't mean the argument is wrong or lacks a point.
I don't expect reductio ad Hitlerum (because as I said, I never even heard of the term before), and I did say that his comparison works. It still falls under Godwin's Law as defined, from my perspective, because I don't see the comparison as appropriate.

And to perhaps clarify my position further, the only understanding of Godwin's Law that I know of, as an actual law as opposed to a bloody obvious statement, is the popular one. "As an online discussion progresses, the probability of it devolving into Nazi comparisons approaches statistical certainty."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1441 on: April 26, 2014, 05:30:13 am »

The comparison is valid, but probably not well-seleccted. How about Napoleon on Elba instead?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 26, 2014, 07:24:46 am »

Quote from: The Daily Beast
Zhirinovsky, who has apologized for his outburst at last week’s press conference and faces likely censure by the Duma, Russia’s parliament, is known for his outrageous antics.

But it turns out The Furies of Maidan is not a figment of his imagination. It is a real “investigative report” that aired last Saturday on NTV, one of Russia’s major television networks. Subtitled “Sex, Psychosis, and Politics,” the 30-minute feature makes exactly the same point as Zhirinovsky’s rant: that the displaced energy of sexually frustrated or pathological women was a driving force behind Ukraine’s Euromaidan revolution. In the dramatic words of the 45-second promo: “They like it hard. They are turned on by danger. And woe to anyone who fails to appreciate them.”

I don't even know what to say. I'm going to give this story the benefit of the doubt and wait for fellows like Comrade P and Knit Tie to explain it was just a trashy program and nobody really agreed with it or something. I hope.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:29:22 am by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:58 am »

I think NTV is famous for it's absolutely nonsense shows like that. Also, its name translate to "Independent TeleVision"

Russian TV has quite a few of those channels which have some weird things. There are like 3 different shows with "extrasenses". Like, they're trying to show that mystical stuff is real. It's really weird.

EDIT: And what Zhirinoskiy has done is unacceptable in my eyes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:50:36 am by Sergarr »
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 26, 2014, 08:03:58 am »

Sounds like the Russian equivalent of the History Channel.

Also, Zhirinovsky is still around? That dude was cray-cray when *I* was young. Didn't he run for election against Yeltsin on a platform of invading Finland and nuking the US?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 26, 2014, 08:08:05 am »

I think NTV is famous for it's absolutely nonsense shows like that. Also, its name translate to "Independent TeleVision"
Russian TV has quite a few of those channels which have some weird things. There are like 3 different shows with "extrasenses". Like, they're trying to show that mystical stuff is real. It's really weird.

NTV's shows are nothing compared to those produced by private channel REN-TV, which makes the most nonsensical pseudodocumental shows. Conspiracy theories featured in one REN-TV show often contradict the ones featured in another. They've been pumping up a lot of really ridiculous anti-American stuff since Russia began its geopolitical course reversal a few years ago.

EDIT: And what Zhirinoskiy has done is unacceptable in my eyes.

If I recall correctly, the association of Russian journalists have condemned Zhirik's behaviour, the Russian Orthodox Church urged Zhirinovsky to confess and the State Duma's commission on ethics and morale started investigating his actions. Some Russian media claimed the incident may become the undoing of his political career.

NTV is generally well known for its various TV series about criminals and policemen. Some of them, like "Улицы разбитых фонарей" are OK, but most of them are awful.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:13:58 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 26, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

Well, Putin's propaganda team has gone complete bonkers.
Among Russians(and to lesser extent Ukrainians)  it is a rather common opinion that if a woman is involved in politics (Or in business, or in science or in any other "male" job) that is because she is not fucked good\often enough and\or a lesbian. Strangely it is mostly unsuccessful women who have that kind of opinion... So I think that report found it's audience and Putin's Propaganda got what it expected

Owlbeard,
It is absolutely serious... It is a report on one of the largest Russian TV channels and they demonstrated that last Saturday 18:20 Moscow time.

Today authors of that shit promise another "masterpiece" of journalism called "Gayeuropean Avakov"
Avakov is Ukrainian minister of internal affairs.

_____________-
Ninja'd: Oh, and NTV is as independent from Russian Government as Zhyrinovsky is a liberal-democrat. (Liberal-democratic party of Russia is the exact name of the party that Zhyrinovsky leads)
NTV is owned by Gazprom. I think it is enough to understand how independent it is.

Ninja'd 2:
Nope, That would be REN-TV. NTV is much more respected than that.

Ninja'd 3: damn. Why do you post so fast?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 26, 2014, 08:27:58 am »

Separatists in Sloviansk are keeping 13 OSCE observers hostage, they claim they were NATO spies (apparently some of them are military personnel, which led them to believe that) and treat them as POWs.
The observers are not part of the current diplomatic OSCE mission in Ukraine, but belong to an unrelated OSCE mission about military transparency and thus were accompanied by Ukrainian military.
Germany (where most of the observers are from) and Russia (also an OSCE member) demand their immediate release, but the separatists want a prisoner exchange. (link in German)

so, Zhirinovsky is still around? That dude was cray-cray when *I* was young. Didn't he run for election against Yeltsin on a platform of invading Finland and nuking the US?
I remember that guy from the 90s. He has said worse things IIRC, and while it didn't really hurt his political career, he is much less relevant today than he used to be. In the 90s the media here were very worried about him and he is one important reason why Putin was seen as a much more agreeable alternative.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:24 am »

Well, Putin's propaganda team has gone complete bonkers.

'Uterine frenzy'? Lol..... I pretty much stopped reading right there. It also sounds like a punk rock band name.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 26, 2014, 08:39:36 am »

I've always understood Zhyrinovsky as Putin's willing stooge to keep truly radical Russian nationalism as the stuff of clowns in the public eye. Nobody would take it seriously if someone like Zhyrinovsky was the face of the movement, meaning Putin can keep that fairly dangerous undercurrent in Russian society under control.

It also interests me that his comments regarding women in the Maidan protests are the ones that might "end his career", not when he said that all Chinese and Japanese should be deported from the Russian Far East or when he expressed his concern about all the "blacks and hispanics" in the USA while on a visit there and called for the preservation of the White Race. Or when he said that Chechnya should have been nuked, or when he said the Baltic countries should be invaded and forcibly annexed and turned into nuclear waste dumping grounds, or when he said that Romania doesn't exist, or when he said nuclear bombs should be dropped in the Atlantic ocean to flood Britain, or when he said...

Yeah, all those remarks did was make him Vice Chairman of the State Duma for over 10 years.

I remember that guy from the 90s. He has said worse things IIRC, and while it didn't really hurt his political career, he is much less relevant today than he used to be. In the 90s the media here were very worried about him and he is one important reason why Putin was seen as a much more agreeable alternative.

One of his other functions for Putin and the rest of the oligarchy is to act as a boogeyman for the West so Putin will always look like the agreeable alternative, no matter what he's doing.

Separatists in Sloviansk are keeping 13 OSCE observers hostage, they claim they were NATO spies (apparently some of them are military personnel, which led them to believe that) and treat them as POWs.
The observers are not part of the current diplomatic OSCE mission in Ukraine, but belong to an unrelated OSCE mission about military transparency and thus were accompanied by Ukrainian military.
Germany (where most of the observers are from) and Russia (also an OSCE member) demand their immediate release, but the separatists want a prisoner exchange. (link in German)

This doesn't look like it's going to end well.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:43:02 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 26, 2014, 08:44:45 am »

It also interests me that his comments regarding women in the Maidan protests are the ones that might "end his career", not when he said that all Chinese and Japanese should be deported from the Russian Far East or when he expressed his concern about all the "blacks and hispanics" in the USA while on a visit there and called for the preservation of the White Race. Or when he said that Chechnya should have been nuked, or when he said the Baltic countries should be invaded and forcibly annexed and turned into nuclear waste dumping grounds, or when he said that Romania doesn't exist, or when he said nuclear bombs should be dropped in the Atlantic ocean to flood Britain, or when he said...
Well, even an extreme Russian nationalist should realize that insulting 50% of the population is a bad move. I mean, there are women in Russia too.  ;)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:35 am »

Believe me, large chunk of Russian women supported that he "put that young whore in her place"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 26, 2014, 08:48:03 am »

Those observers getting captured kind of shows that not all of the militants are acting on Putins orders. Also, prisioner exchange? I wonder what prisioners they want to exchange.....

I wonder if any of those captured observers are Russian.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 26, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

Believe me, large chunk of Russian women supported that he "put that young whore in her place"

And how do you know it?
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 136