Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156708 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1335 on: April 25, 2014, 07:24:46 am »

Aaand the Ukrainian PM is accusing Russia of wanting to start WWIII, which I think is pure hype.

A regional war, maybe, but a World War? No, China would have to get involved in order for it to be a World War and they aren't interested in fighting with Russia over Ukraine. Sure they might try to do something about one of it's territorial disputes or Taiwan while the US is distracted, but they aren't interested in starting a war.

NK is the real wild card though and if they decide that now is the opportunity to strike.....   They wouldn't last long though and their alliance with China is tenous. The only reason China hasn't abandoned them completely is because they don't want a flood of refugees coming over their borders.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1336 on: April 25, 2014, 08:20:32 am »

e Ukrainian government haven't been doing themselves any favors when it comes to rhetoric.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 25, 2014, 08:30:26 am »

Also, Russias credit rating has been lowered to a notch above junk rating over the Ukraine crisis (and possibly independent of the sanctions). I wonder how much longer until that rating hits rock bottom.

Ukraines credit rating isn't great either though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:37:23 am by smjjames »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 25, 2014, 08:41:40 am »

as long as putin doesn't flip out and nationalize everything a few years down the line this is the perfect time to be investing in russia-related things

which i am doing, admittedly i'm not throwing mounds of money at it but i am

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:36 am »

Yatsenyuk loves big loud empty words. It is his style since forever. Don't pay attention to that as we Ukrainians do

As for Russian economy, I had a pleasure to see a Russian TV program where they explained how good it is for Russian economy that prices for Russian stocks are falling. I am sure they'll say the same about the credit rating.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 25, 2014, 08:50:18 am »

I suppose it's good in the sense that there is nowhere to go but up. Not sure if the credit rating was actually knocked down for financial reasons or more political, as if saying 'Behave! You!'. Sort of like what they did after the government shutdown. I saw that as them saying to congress 'stop acting like idiots and get things straight'.

Despite all the initial doom and gloom over it, AA+ doesn't seem all that different from AAA+, besides the prestige of being in the AAA club.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 25, 2014, 09:03:06 am »

Well, here are prices for Sberbank  shares

It is the largest bank of Russia and the third largest bank of Europe. Doubt that falling like that can be good
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 25, 2014, 09:48:39 am »

To be fair, a recession that would put Putin's oligarch buddies in their place was long imminent in Russian Economy. Ukrainian crisis was just a catalyst.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:49 am »

Despite all the initial doom and gloom over it, AA+ doesn't seem all that different from AAA+, besides the prestige of being in the AAA club.

I'd go a step further and say you should go ahead and ignore the ratings agencies entirely when it comes to public debt.  Rating agencies are good if you don't have time to read through a firms assets and liabilities and need a snap judgement but they aren't particularly insightful when it comes to anticipating the trends in public policy that tell you about the odds of a government default.

In Russia's case I would say that a default is much more likely then any other major economy given their recent history of debt restructuring and the 90s inflation coupled with their extremely vulnerable trading position (can you name anything but energy off hand that is made in Russia and consumed in Europe or the US?  How about Switzerland or Greece or Canada?).  But saying that Russian default is a lot more likely then a French one or American one isn't saying a whole lot; that could mean a 1% chance or a 50% chance.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

The 90s inflation has already resulted in a default. It was in 1998. Many people were "upset" about it.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

given their recent history of debt restructuring

I'm a grad student, euphemism is my first language.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

One day last month Roman Romanenko, a Ukrainian living in the Russian city of Vologda, came home to find a swastika painted on his door and flyers stuffed in his neighbours' mailboxes.

The flyers read: "Living in your building is a piece of Lviv scum", referring to a western Ukrainian city with a strong sense of national identity, many of whose residents supported the protest movement that led to the ousting of former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich.

I guess Ukraine should invade Russia now to protect Ukrainians?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One day last month Roman Romanenko, a Ukrainian living in the Russian city of Vologda, came home to find a swastika painted on his door and flyers stuffed in his neighbours' mailboxes.

The flyers read: "Living in your building is a piece of Lviv scum", referring to a western Ukrainian city with a strong sense of national identity, many of whose residents supported the protest movement that led to the ousting of former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich.

It would be hilarious (in an ironic way, not in a 'yay war lol' way) for Ukraine to use Russias excuse and use it against them. Only problem, their military is absolutely no match for Russia. If it were, then Russia wouldn't have done what they did in the first place.

Just goes to show how vague and abuseable (and silly) that excuse can be. Sort of like Iran saying to Iraq 'Hey! You're oppressing the Sunni faith! (Err, or is it Shi'ite???? Forgive me if I've got it backwards with Iran), I declare war!' Heck, can you imagine the US using that causus belli every time Americans got abused in another country? Or just replace ethnic Russian with some other group. However, I realize that there comes a point where you've just gotta intervene like with genocide, but was Ukraine commiting genocide? no.

It's probably inevitable that minorities on both sides will get caught up in the whole thing. I'm sure there are ethnic Russians in Ukraine who don't want to have closer relations with Russia.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:11:09 am by smjjames »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, the Russians are present at the border and will shoot.  Unlike Crimea.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, Russia has troops right near our borders in big clusters... Surprise attack on those could make incoming war somewhat easier

After all, if You take away elite troops, core of Russian army is a bunch of teenagers who are more busy raping each other than learning how to wage war
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 136