Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156711 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1305 on: April 24, 2014, 04:39:01 pm »

I'm boycotting this poll for lack of joke option.

Would the last option qualify?

Also, it's salvo, not salo, just saying.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1306 on: April 24, 2014, 04:44:39 pm »

I think the new government will be pro-Western and anti-Putin, if for no other reason than demographic shift. With Crimea gone, the pro-Russian proportion of the Ukrainian population is considerably smaller.

It'd be like if Texas fucked off and left the Union. Democrats get an instant boost in the Electoral College.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 24, 2014, 06:31:22 pm »

The real question should be, how much of the new government will be made up by the Ukrainian Right Wing. The destabilization of authority means whoever takes it up next has a lot of latitude to act. While I think Russia is vastly overstating the right-wing sentiment in Ukraine in general they are positioned to enter government in numbers, and control important positions. And while I don't think Russia is really making their plans contingent on the results of the elections and the composition of the new government, I think it's certainly a factor in the general outcome of all this. Hard-liners getting into power will, unless they're playing the long game, escalate things quickly. And no one seems particularly interested in the long game there right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 24, 2014, 06:37:59 pm »

Already been stated that the election is not for the parliament but for a single position or president. So unless the far-right dude wins the plurality of votes, there will be no new right-wing in the government.

Unless I've been misled!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 24, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »

Ukraine is upping the ante a bit, they've given Russia 48 hours for Russia to explain its military drills and they haven't said what would happen if Russia does not reply.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/ukraine-demands-russias-explanation-of-army-drills-near-border-345007.html (in english)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/24/world/europe/ukraine-gunmen-attack/?hpt=hp_t2 (among the other stuff, and ignore the comment trolls, of which are 99% of comments on CNN honestly)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:18:31 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 24, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »

Ukraine is upping the ante a bit, they've given Russia 48 hours for Russia to explain its military drills and they haven't said what would happen if Russia does not reply.
Oh no guys, I think Ukraine is going to invade Russia!!!1!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 24, 2014, 07:54:10 pm »

I seriously doubt the Ukraine government is that stupid.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »

But Ukrainians and Russians are brothers, and already citizens of the same country! So it wouldn't be an invasion, it would be a righteous overthrow of the corrupt and illegitimate government and replacing it with one that truly represents the will of all the Russian people! It's not an invasion or an annexation if they are already the same country and same people, right?

It's just a coup.

;)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »

But Ukrainians and Russians are brothers, and already citizens of the same country! So it wouldn't be an invasion, it would be a righteous overthrow of the corrupt and illegitimate government and replacing it with one that truly represents the will of all the Russian people! It's not an invasion or an annexation if they are already the same country and same people, right?

It's just a coup.

;)
That wouldn't be the first time we had a tyrant replaced in a coup.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:19 pm »

It's just a coup.

;)
That wouldn't be the first time we had a tyrant replaced in a coup.

Only to be replaced by yet another tyrant......

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »

The fact that we're even considering that shows how bad this situation is.

No it shows how quickly people leap to apocalyptic predictions even when the crisis is already winding down.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 24, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »

You have an interesting definition of "winding down".

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »

It's funny how fast everybody forgot about Crimea.
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:03 pm »

I don't think anybody's forgotten about Crimea. It's more that nobody wants to talk about it too much because they'd have to admit that more than likely nothing is going to change. Which the West should be (and I think *is*) ashamed of.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:52 pm »

It would sure be convenient for all involved if Putin were to just...disappear right now.

Of course, we could get Zhirinovsky to replace him. Who wants that?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 136