Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156824 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1095 on: April 20, 2014, 11:14:31 am »

Well Sean, firstly Putin runs an extremely corrupt government, which is pretty much disguised as a democracy. There is close to no media freedom in Russia, journalists get killed or thrown into prison. Even fellow oligarchs aren't safe, for example Hodorkovski. The list of course goes on and on.

Also smj: I believe that the prime minister point does not hold such ground as he was also the president before. Putin is trying to run a kind of modernised Soviet Union, internal politics wise. He is creating and abusing loopholes in order to make the government and himself aswell as his actions legitimate.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1096 on: April 20, 2014, 11:24:07 am »

Owlbread, I am fully aware that Russians are not the same (Hey. my best friend is a Russian) but modern Russia is an enemy. That is a fact.  I should start using "Soviets" word more even if it is a bit silly sounding

Is Eastern Ukraine becoming more Ukrainian also? Or is it just that the damage is being repaired in the West?
Western Ukraine never had  any damage to repair. After all it is under Russian control only since 1939. It had no Holodomor and no heavy industry meaning little migrants from the rest of USSR.
It is eastern Ukraine, Donbass is less influenced by that process of reukrainiazation. But I said many times that Donbass is quite unique region and sometimes I wonder if we would be better as separate countries...

Funny thing is that I believe that country as large as Ukraine should be a federation. I believe that Federation is just a better way to handle larger countries.  But federalizing now, with Russia nearby is not an option. That will be used against our territorial integrity - look at Crimea with it special status

I absolutely love Ocean Elzy.
Ocean was a music of the revolution. Ocean Elzy and modernized UPA songs is 90% of music you could hear at Maydan
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 20, 2014, 11:44:24 am »

You know... I already stated my position as a disinterested observer. Indeed, I am an equally disinterested observer in our internal politics as well.
In general disinterested observers aren't so eager to claim disinterest; In fact, people who claim it are usually hiding behind the label, similar to "Just my opinion". I mean we can all state who we are and our interests with honesty right?
I mostly put it up as a disclaimer of sorts, to ward against immediate replies along the lines of "You can't be so ignorant of what goes on in your own country, surely?", or "You can't really not care at all about who runs your country!" that would usually end with that and give me no answer. Essentially I'm stating outright that I am that ignorant, and I don't really care, because I really am, and really don't. I am really asking an honest question, in a situation when asking that question can otherwise be seen as an attempt to undermine an argument or provoke people on the other side of the argument from where you could be seen to be.

When people are filled with righteous bias, they tend to take being biased for granted, and it helps to remind them that there indeed can be people who genuinely have no strong thoughts one way or the other. :) At the very least, it helps with getting honest answers, as I have gotten here. Thanks vagel7 and Knit Tie. ^_^
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:46:24 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 20, 2014, 11:52:25 am »

Owlbread, I am fully aware that Russians are not the same (Hey. my best friend is a Russian) but modern Russia is an enemy. That is a fact.  I should start using "Soviets" word more even if it is a bit silly sounding

I'd go with "Putinists", that's what we use.

I absolutely love Ocean Elzy.
Ocean was a music of the revolution. Ocean Elzy and modernized UPA songs is 90% of music you could hear at Maydan
That's good!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 20, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »

Knit tie, Ocean will remain in Ukrainian history books like an example of music of that era. Of cause later many new songs appeared during the whole Maydan. That one, wrote by Belarussians (in Russian) is one of the best

Maydan is one of the best events that ever happened in Ukraine. I together with millions from my generation will remember it forever. So many brights moments... From funny to sad. From hilarious to tragic. From admirable to disgusting
That is a new spring of our nation after a long, long winter. The first attempt in 2004 was similar but premature like the first naive flowers that died after cold weather returned.

Job is unfinished and a long hard work is ahead. But the tree of freedom got it's blood to start growing. I only hope it will not demand more.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 20, 2014, 12:44:07 pm »

Knit tie, Ocean will remain in Ukrainian history books like an example of music of that era. Of cause later many new songs appeared during the whole Maydan. That one, wrote by Belarussians (in Russian) is one of the best

Maydan is one of the best events that ever happened in Ukraine. I together with millions from my generation will remember it forever. So many brights moments... From funny to sad. From hilarious to tragic. From admirable to disgusting
That is a new spring of our nation after a long, long winter. The first attempt in 2004 was similar but premature like the first naive flowers that died after cold weather returned.

Job is unfinished and a long hard work is ahead. But the tree of freedom got it's blood to start growing. I only hope it will not demand more.
It's good that you are hopeful this way.  :D

But seeing how you, hopefully, are now cooled down from that rant of yours, I'd like to ask you this question: the reasonable people (like Avis Mergulus) who support the annexation of Crimea refer to the long-strained relationship between it and mainland Ukraine and the fact that the new government is unlikely to be benevolent to that region in support of their position. What do you think about that?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »

I'd like to ask you this question: the reasonable people (like Avis Mergulus) who support the annexation of Crimea refer to the long-strained relationship between it and mainland Ukraine and the fact that the new government is unlikely to be benevolent to that region in support of their position. What do you think about that?
Crimea would get large scale "repressions".  That is beyond doubt. They gave to much support to the old regime. Police units from Crimea were the most cruel at Maydan. As well as those "Titushka's" thugs.

But it's political elites who would be repressed, the worst that could happen with common people is that one corrupt bastards over their heads would be replaced with other corrupted bastards

Another important thing to consider that Crimean Tatars would get much more power simply because they are political allies of the victorious side. Local Crimean Party were allied with Batkivshina for a long, long time. Many disliked that this will happen

As for funding... Most likely, yep, Crimea would get less in % from budget than during Yanuk times due to various reasons

But really it wasn't a decision of people of Crimea to call for Russian aid. That decision was made for them, most chose to passively do nothing, and large pro-Russian mionority created an illusion of full support

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 20, 2014, 01:30:30 pm »

I'd like to ask you this question: the reasonable people (like Avis Mergulus) who support the annexation of Crimea refer to the long-strained relationship between it and mainland Ukraine and the fact that the new government is unlikely to be benevolent to that region in support of their position. What do you think about that?
Crimea would get large scale "repressions".  That is beyond doubt. They gave to much support to the old regime. Police units from Crimea were the most cruel at Maydan. As well as those "Titushka's" thugs.

But it's political elites who would be repressed, the worst that could happen with common people is that one corrupt bastards over their heads would be replaced with other corrupted bastards

Another important thing to consider that Crimean Tatars would get much more power simply because they are political allies of the victorious side. Local Crimean Party were allied with Batkivshina for a long, long time. Many disliked that this will happen

As for funding... Most likely, yep, Crimea would get less in % from budget than during Yanuk times due to various reasons

But really it wasn't a decision of people of Crimea to call for Russian aid. That decision was made for them, most chose to passively do nothing, and large pro-Russian mionority created an illusion of full support
I still believe that the call for help was the Crimeans freaking out after Yanukovich got ousted and the people they didn't support came to power. The Crimeans overreacted, and Putin jumped at the opportunity.

What's a titushka anyway? I know it's a derogatory term for an anti-maidanian, but what does it actually mean?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »

Just average thugs for hire, then. Nothing special.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 20, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »

It would seem that those Transnistrian idiots begging for the Putin's embrace just got rejected.Although the article also says Russian troops started moving, so i'm not holding my breath.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/transnistria-urges-kremlin-un-recognise-independence-1445126

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 20, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »

Transinistria got an unpleasant problem: former Ukrainian government  allowed them to contraband freely (often for a share), now, with battle ready border guards and almost front-line concentration of troops contraband became noticeably harder cutting a source for profit

That's why we can expect some wild moves from them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 20, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »

Transinistria got an unpleasant problem: former Ukrainian government  allowed them to contraband freely (often for a share), now, with battle ready border guards and almost front-line concentration of troops contraband became noticeably harder cutting a source for profit

That's why we can expect some wild moves from them.

Are we talking the usual contraband (illegal drugs are the main usual contraband I can think of) or some other contraband like capitalist goods or something?

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »

Alcohol and cigarettes are being smuggled by a lot of Moldavians to here.So i'm going that Transnistria does the same.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:56 pm »

Do Moldovans have a pronounced accent among other Romanians?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 136