Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156855 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1051 on: April 20, 2014, 03:33:33 am »

How was the info collected?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1053 on: April 20, 2014, 04:07:24 am »

46% of those in the Southeast consider the Ukrainian Revolution to have been a coup organized by the West
Facepalm... But I hope it's not the same among youth

When asked specifically what they would do in the event of a Russian invasion, 20.9% said they would fight while 7% said they would welcome Russian forces. Most said they would stay at home and not involve themselves in military matters. Of course, this data includes all respondents and not only men of fighting age.
Something Russian fail to believe....
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 20, 2014, 05:39:13 am »

46% of those in the Southeast consider the Ukrainian Revolution to have been a coup organized by the West

When asked specifically what they would do in the event of a Russian invasion, 20.9% said they would fight while 7% said they would welcome Russian forces. Most said they would stay at home and not involve themselves in military matters. Of course, this data includes all respondents and not only men of fighting age.
And you fail to notice a difference between saying something and actually doing it.
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 20, 2014, 05:42:22 am »

Although I don't really know about the Balkan states, situation might be different morale-wise there. But on the other hand, they don't seem to stand much chance against seriously overpowering them Russian military.
Serbia would most definitely side with Russia. Everyone here in Bosnia would use it as an opportunity to move to Canada or wherever, because we're all disillusioned with spilling our blood to pad politician's pockets. I suppose Croatia would have decent morale, though.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:54 am »

Most people who lived trough the war would abstain from fighting, since they have expirienced firsthand what a hell that was. I'm more worried about the kids born in the 90's who have been brainwashed by nationalistic propaganda but haven't actually expirienced the war and as such are more than eager to fight. Then there's some mujaheeds that sticked around after the previous war that would also cause trouble, but I'm unsure how large their number is.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 20, 2014, 05:59:35 am »

And you fail to notice a difference between saying something and actually doing it.
Sure, not all will be brave enough to actually do what they say. But even if one tenth of those  will actually fight that is a lot of people. Thousands and thousands of partisans. And that before civilians used as hostages, bombarded villages, mass rapes and other "benefits" of Russian liberation
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:53 am »

Sure, not all will be brave enough to actually do what they say. But even if one tenth of those  will actually fight that is a lot of people. Thousands and thousands of partisans. And that before civilians used as hostages, bombarded villages, mass rapes and other "benefits" of Russian liberation
If there's one thing I don't understand it is why do you think Russia will committ all those crimes? I mean, why would they do that in southeast Ukraine when they have been so far keeping things civil in occuried Crimea?

Most people who lived trough the war would abstain from fighting, since they have expirienced firsthand what a hell that was. I'm more worried about the kids born in the 90's who have been brainwashed by nationalistic propaganda but haven't actually expirienced the war and as such are more than eager to fight. Then there's some mujaheeds that sticked around after the previous war that would also cause trouble, but I'm unsure how large their number is.
A lot of people who lived through one war might join the other, actually, especially if it's under different ideals. Look at the Russian civil war, for example: plenty of WW1 veterans joined even though WW1 was not something pleasant in the slightest. And then there's the Great Patriotic War, where people would go to the front despite being refugees, wounded, sick or too young. You just need a good enough reason for all those veterans/survivors to believe that things would be different this time around.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 20, 2014, 06:49:24 am »

If there's one thing I don't understand it is why do you think Russia will committ all those crimes? I mean, why would they do that in southeast Ukraine when they have been so far keeping things civil in occuried Crimea?

A lot of people who lived through one war might join the other, actually, especially if it's under different ideals. Look at the Russian civil war, for example: plenty of WW1 veterans joined even though WW1 was not something pleasant in the slightest. And then there's the Great Patriotic War, where people would go to the front despite being refugees, wounded, sick or too young. You just need a good enough reason for all those veterans/survivors to believe that things would be different this time around.
I dunno why some people think that Russians are soulless monsters only capable of committing irredeemable crimes against humanity.

But UR is one of these people.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 20, 2014, 06:50:59 am »

The situation changed though. WWI was the last great popular war, nowadays the interest in joining the war is far smaller.

Anyway I think UR's horror scenario assumes a large scale Russian attack, with tanks and artillery and all that stuff. Also conscripted troops. Not a special squad inciting a take-over.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 20, 2014, 06:52:44 am »

The situation changed though. WWI was the last great popular war, nowadays the interest in joining the war is far smaller.

Anyway I think UR's horror scenario assumes a large scale Russian attack, with tanks and artillery and all that stuff. Also conscripted troops. Not a special squad inciting a take-over.
WWII wasn't popular war?
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:01 am »

Nope, it wasn't. Though a bit complicated, as it was an invasion by an indoctrinated nation, whereas WWI was a few nations duking it out, with no clear aggresor.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:04 am »

Why it haven't happen in Crimea?  First in Crimea we have seen no resistance, no fighting.
Second occupation forces there are Russian Navy (who lives here), defectors from Ukrainian Berkut\SBU\regular Police\Internal troops and Russian special forces (who are disciplined enough to follow orders.)

In case of full scale invasion in South-East Ukraine Russian spec-ops will not be enough even with whatever forces that will chose to defect. Russia will have to undisciplined conscription army and\or local Ukraine-hating militia for occupation duty.
What is more important - there are will be resistance. And we all know what methods Russia use to suppress any kind of resistance. Look at Chechnya

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:24 am »

The Chechen are very different from Ukrainians, though.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 136