Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156874 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #975 on: April 18, 2014, 04:20:29 am »

You might want to put a 'graphic' warning on that.

I'm with scrdest.

As for Russians ordering the protesters to comply, yeah sure, unless they don't want them to.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 18, 2014, 04:36:48 am »

Reverse image search revealed nothing usefull, so same questions as the people above.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #977 on: April 18, 2014, 04:42:27 am »

Huh, what are we seeing here exactly? Aside from the obvious? Who, when, how, why?
I've done some reverse image searching: apparently its a road accident that happened somewhere in Chechnya in 2009. Propagandists from pro-Russian forces posting on Ukrainian bulletin boards claim it happened in Mariupol the other day, though.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:28 am »

Yep. It happened at least five years ago, unless Russians built a time machine.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:13 am »

Eh) Trolling didn't work. That is bay12 after all :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:17 am »

Still, trolling ain't nice UR. You made 10ebbor10 and GI lose time looking for your pic...

Anyway, what do you think is more likely: Putin genuinely wants separatists to disarm but doesn't control them, or he signed the deal knowing full well the militias wouldn't back it just to look reasonable? Real question here, not rethorical.

Also, lol at the idea that having the Ukrainian army on Ukrainian soil is aggressive action and that it should disarm.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 18, 2014, 06:08:03 am »

Still, trolling ain't nice UR. You made 10ebbor10 and GI lose time looking for your pic...

Anyway, what do you think is more likely: Putin genuinely wants separatists to disarm but doesn't control them, or he signed the deal knowing full well the militias wouldn't back it just to look reasonable? Real question here, not rethorical.

Also, lol at the idea that having the Ukrainian army on Ukrainian soil is aggressive action and that it should disarm.

I think the militiamen believe that some "jeneva agreement" will not protect them from the wrath of Kiev.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 18, 2014, 06:50:05 am »

We shouldn't underestimate the general fanaticism of protesters. These guys are perfectly capable of ignoring Putin's orders and pursuing their own agenda as independent guerrillas if he ever tells them to disarm.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 18, 2014, 07:33:59 am »

Of cause Russia will not order "militia" to disarm, that would be admitting that they control them
I think Putin wants to win time here. Don't know why he needs it. Maybe to bring more forces to Ukraine, maybe to prepare for impending sanctions better, maybe to delay the action and launch the main phase just before the elections...

I am rather pissed at that Geneva agreement because it basically said - "hey, separatists you may continue to break laws and you'll not get punished because amnesty "and Ukraine got just nothing for that kind of capitulation. That + accepting legal Russian spies for monitoring
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

Of cause Russia will not order "militia" to disarm, that would be admitting that they control them
I think Putin wants to win time here. Don't know why he needs it. Maybe to bring more forces to Ukraine, maybe to prepare for impending sanctions better, maybe to delay the action and launch the main phase just before the elections...

I am rather pissed at that Geneva agreement because it basically said - "hey, separatists you may continue to break laws and you'll not get punished because amnesty "and Ukraine got just nothing for that kind of capitulation. That + accepting legal Russian spies for monitoring
I think that Geneva literally had to accept Russian monitors. Because otherwise Putin would cry "OMGHAX!!!!".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 18, 2014, 08:21:47 am »

I think that Geneva literally had to accept Russian monitors. Because otherwise Putin would cry "OMGHAX!!!!".
Actually, it's because of the four/five entities involved - US, EU, NATO, Russia(, and Ukraine), everyone that isn't Russia is allied with each other. Having no one to keep the "axis of capitalism" in check would mean leaving the people of Eastern Ukraine in a worse situation, freedom of choice-wise, than Ukraine said the people of Crimea had with Russian forces there. At least Russian forces managed to do everything as calmly and peacefully as was possible. With the Right Sector still being a thing, and the acting government of Ukraine and its military having shown the entirety of restraint and respect for human life they are capable of, I have doubts that silly things like "amnesty" or "freedom of speech" would mean much in the Eastern Ukraine.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:19 am »

The problem here is (again) that nobody wants to make Putin angry. Or sad. Or generally unhappy in any way whatsoever. I mean, nobody from the West. Russia basically says "Do what we want or we will do what we want anyway." And Obama and... Whoever it was on EU side just reply "Dude, that's not nice! But oh well, OK, if you insist. Just don't kick us in the nuts." That's a wrong way to go about it. It was wrong to begin with; on the first sign of Russian invasion of Crimea, NATO should be all like 'Hey, get out of there'. There should be a freaking aircraft carrier on the Black Sea, along with all the companions, not a single destroyer; offer of military assistance aimed at Ukraine as soon as any kind of invasion become even possible, and actual American* troops flying into Crimea way before the 'referendum'. Why? Because:
a) USA guaranteed that the Ukraine will stay intact after giving up nuclear weapons;
b) it is pretty much obvious to anybody with half a brain that _not_ doing that will just make Putin want more.

But it's not like the US can take any of it's military operations to the end. Not in Afghanistan, not in Iraq, not to mention things like Libya or Syria, so I wouldn't expect any better this time. Or next time.
Well, it will generally accomplish one thing - everybody will either give up or stack up military stuff. There are already voices in the Ukraine that the country should get some nukes back; in Poland there are talks about upping the army expenses, and so on.

*Yeah, I moved from NATO to just USA there, because let's admit it, it's not like the rest of the NATO could do much. As far as the EU goes, there is so little will to fight at all, that if not for the Americans, Russia would steamroll all the continent to Lisbon with less resistance than Hitler, due to populations just... Giving up. And the politicians are even worse here.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:36 am »

The USA never guaranteed Ukraine's territorial integrity. In the Budapest Memorandum, the USA promised not to take measures infringing on Ukraine's territorial integrity (Check.) and gave Ukraine a right to consult in case someone invaded it. They never promised to act on that consultation.

Sean Mirrsen: The Ukrainian Army and the Right Sector have shown great restrain. They didn't do anything in Crimea, and in Eastern Ukraine, given the fact that you had separatists with assault weapons, they showed remarkable restraint. Outside of Russian TV of course.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:01 am »

Sean Mirrsen: The Ukrainian Army and the Right Sector have shown great restrain. They didn't do anything in Crimea, and in Eastern Ukraine, given the fact that you had separatists with assault weapons, they showed remarkable restraint. Outside of Russian TV of course.
The Army? Yes. Right Sector? Doubtful, but then again I don't have a network of surveillance micro-drones reporting every event in the world to me. (mental note: make sure to establish a network of surveillance micro-drones reporting every event in the world to me) I guess the sentence was poorly structured - "government of Ukraine and its military", meaning the leadership. The soldiers did a very good job of showing restraint, I can do nothing but respect them for that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 18, 2014, 09:10:03 am »

And what exactly did the leadership do?

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 136