Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156110 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #720 on: April 15, 2014, 05:05:47 pm »

Personally, I'm not so sure anymore.

Seems like Ukraine is calling said bluff, and russian ops grassroots pro-russian separatists/turrurists are getting killed.

If we discount 'bargaining leverage' for a moment, what was Russia aiming for with the pressure in these regions? Could they accept a 'defeat', with Ukraine staying whole and anti-Russian, even after all the talking and bluster?
Could they invade, push over to the Dnieper, and then accept UN peacekeepers & deescalation without giving up the new borders?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »

If we discount 'bargaining leverage' for a moment, what was Russia aiming for with the pressure in these regions?

I wrote a very lengthy piece on page 38 of this thread yesterday that may answer your question. Here is an extract I think is relevant:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could they accept a 'defeat', with Ukraine staying whole and anti-Russian, even after all the talking and bluster?

If Ukraine somehow remains whole, the East will not be anti-Russian. It will remain pro-Russian pretty much no matter what. It's the West that will be anti-Russian. It already is, as you know.

Could they invade, push over to the Dnieper, and then accept UN peacekeepers & deescalation without giving up the new borders?

I think the Russians are more interested in allowing this to blow up into a civil war rather than directly intervening.

Ukrainian Ranger often says that Ukraine is too united to ever have a "civil war", but I'm not sure what you'd call it. The Russians are in the minority and the "East of Ukraine" i.e. Donbass isn't really that big, but maybe it's big enough. An insurrection or something, maybe?

In other news:

It looks like some people are going to take the fight to the Russian irredentists. Local donbass miners and veterans of the Chernobyl clean-up, believe it or not:

Quote from: Charter97, a Belarusian opposition news site Guardian G.I. hates
“The events of the recent days clearly demonstrate that separatists who are terrorists actually, have crossed the red line, after which a civil war starts,” the address of the Independent trade union of Donbass Mineworkers and Donetsk regional organisation “All-Ukrainian Association of Chernobyl veterans” reads.

Besides, they believe that the authorities and law-enforcing agencies had demonstrated their complete inaptitude and criminal negligence.

“Extremists who had passed all bounds have started to seize administrative buildings, abduct and use weapons, among other things, to give it out to other protesters. The use of guns has already resulted in victims,” the address underlines. “We say that the central government who in fact has left Donbass to sink or swim, will not defend our region. It would be done by us. We are ready to defend our country, our region, our families and loved ones for the sake of our common future.”

This address has been signed by the chairman of the Independent Trade Union of Donbass Mineworkers and the chairman of the Donetsk regional branch of “All-Ukrainian Association of Chernobyl Veterans” Volodymir Derkach.

It looks like there's some Donbass fellows that are willing to fight for Ukraine, at least in part.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:27:20 pm by Owlbread »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #722 on: April 15, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »

I don't buy the 'east Ukraine is pro-Russian' spiel. Protests are too small, (only notched 1000 in Kharkiv?), reports of Russian interference are too rampant, (remember that group of 'locals' that stormed the theatre instead of townhall?).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:32:27 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

I'm not gonna make any predictions anymore, but I tend to lean towards the idea that there will be no direct Russian-Ukrainain war. I guess there will be continued insurrections by pro-Russian forces, at worst up to a Russian sponsored (there are no more doubts about Russian involvement now) civil war. Clearly Putin is trying to prevent the current Ukrainian government from consolidating.
By orchestrating these protest he puts the Ukrainian government in a bad position, they can either do nothing and have Ukraine sink into chaos or they can fight and risk Russian intervention, which would be a going down in glory scenario. The government seems to favour the first option, hoping that a referendum could somehow turn this around. My guess is that with increased federalism and continued unrest, the government will become weak enough to not be a threat to Russia anymore, willing to accept any demands that are thrown at them.
Not sure if Ukrainian leadership is doing the right thing now, but I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with them, whatever they do, it will be potentially dangerous and wrong.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »

Wow Russia, wow.

Over the course of several hours of coverage on Wednesday, Rossiya 24 reported that four to 11 peaceful, pro-Russian “supporters of federalization” in Ukraine were killed at an airfield near the town of Kramatorsk in eastern Ukraine when a mixed force of right-wing Ukrainians and foreign mercenaries strafed an airfield with automatic gunfire from helicopter gunships before landing and seizing control.

In fact, on the ground, a small crowd of residents surrounded a Ukrainian commander who had landed at the airfield in a helicopter, and while there were reports of stones thrown and shots fired in the air, only a few minor injuries were reported with no signs of fatalities.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:30 pm »

Wow Russia, wow.

Over the course of several hours of coverage on Wednesday, Rossiya 24 reported that four to 11 peaceful, pro-Russian “supporters of federalization” in Ukraine were killed at an airfield near the town of Kramatorsk in eastern Ukraine when a mixed force of right-wing Ukrainians and foreign mercenaries strafed an airfield with automatic gunfire from helicopter gunships before landing and seizing control.

In fact, on the ground, a small crowd of residents surrounded a Ukrainian commander who had landed at the airfield in a helicopter, and while there were reports of stones thrown and shots fired in the air, only a few minor injuries were reported with no signs of fatalities.

And yet they don't cite direct proofs of Russian lies. Why do that, if it's so obvious, even though we don't have any confirmations, that Russian state media lie?

If they say that both Russian and Ukrainian media lies, how can they claim to know the truth™?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:32:28 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:40 am »

Ukrainian Ranger often says that Ukraine is too united to ever have a "civil war", but I'm not sure what you'd call it. The Russians are in the minority and the "East of Ukraine" i.e. Donbass isn't really that big, but maybe it's big enough. An insurrection or something, maybe?

I think it is very possible that IRA or ETA like organization will emerge in  Ukraine and we'll get "fun" for decades...
By a civil war I mean Syria or Libya-like situation. Can't see it happening. Maybe I don't want to see that and my belief is a result of that... But I can't find that large support of a civil war among our people

Not sure if Ukrainian leadership is doing the right thing now, but I certainly wouldn't want to trade places with them, whatever they do, it will be potentially dangerous and wrong.
+1. I often unhappy with their decisions but I am aware how shitty situation that they need to manage is. My "advices" to them are as useful as those advices to footballers during a match shout by supporters :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:19 am »

And yet they don't cite direct proofs of Russian lies. Why do that, if it's so obvious, even though we don't have any confirmations, that Russian state media lie?

If they say that both Russian and Ukrainian media lies, how can they claim to know the truth™?
You see... It is very simple. When you read Russian media you know it is a lie in 100% of cases. Ukrainian media may lie or not.
That is called a reputation. When the only thing you do is lying in oblivious way, soon no one will trust your words even if you'll start saying truth
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 16, 2014, 01:42:16 am »

How can you prove that nothing happened? Russia is making a claim, but do not provide proofs. We're in the 21st century, you cannot strife people from an helicopter without at least someone whipping out their smartphones and recording some of it.

Edit: Closest thing I could find is this CNN segment taken a few hours after retaking the airfield. The Ukrainian army is firing warning shots, which may not be the best thing to do but will please UR I guess. However it doesn't look like they killed people, or I think "Drunkely dance in front of the soldiers" wouldn't be such a popular hobby.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:50:07 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #730 on: April 16, 2014, 01:57:58 am »

'Uploader made the video unavailable in your country :/'
Badges of honor

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 16, 2014, 02:43:23 am »

There are ways around that, y'know. SaveFrom dot net and Anonymouse dot org, to name a few.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:55 am »

Facepalm. Brilliant. Looks like enemy got 6 APCs.

How? Very simply. It was blocked by a crowd on the street, then "unknown" armed well trained men simply came closer and disarmed the crews. That is why any person who comes close to an APC should be shoot dead

The worst problem is when army is not ready to shot the enemy because of the mental barrier.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #733 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:42 am »

Yeeah, given all the footage out of Iraq & company, that first video from way back where the tank column was traveling through a small town and the roads were /lined/ with people was kinda jarring. Not surprised.

There are ways around that, y'know. SaveFrom dot net and Anonymouse dot org, to name a few.
Still having problems.
Where do the people that can see this thing live?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:25:52 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 16, 2014, 03:15:36 am »

I'm in Belgium.

UR, source?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 136