Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156131 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:41 am »

I was referring to the fake protester trick/puppet government installation episodes during the cold war.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 14, 2014, 06:23:46 am »

When was the last time the US annexed parts of another country? Early 19th century?

1893 or 1898.

I can't find it on the BBC website, but I just saw the foreign secretary William Hague on TV in Luxembourg saying that Russia is behind the Eastern protests. He heavily implied that the protestors have Russian agents and soldiers in their ranks and repeatedly made comparisons with Crimea, basically stating "this is another Crimea". He is calling for more sanctions.

Russia is claiming that Ukraine is "at war with their own people" which is interesting. That's the Putin government trying to show they view East Ukrainians as Ukrainian and therefore they don't want to annex the land, but I don't see the difference between a Russo-Ukrainian from Crimea and a Russo-Ukrainian from Donbass.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:46:17 am by Owlbread »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:08 am »

When was the last time the US annexed parts of another country? Early 19th century?

1893 or 1898.

I can't find it on the BBC website, but I just saw the foreign secretary William Hague on TV in Luxembourg saying that Russia is behind the Eastern protests. He heavily implied that the protestors have Russian agents and soldiers in their ranks and repeatedly made comparisons with Crimea, basically stating "this is another Crimea". He is calling for more sanctions.

Russia is claiming that Ukraine is "at war with their own people" which is interesting. That's the Putin government trying to show they view East Ukrainians as Ukrainian and therefore they don't want to annex the land, but I don't see the difference between a Russo-Ukrainian from Crimea and a Russo-Ukrainian from Donbass.
Maybe they'll use that "war" as an excuse for a "peacekeeping" operation.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:47 am »

I have to say, UR, the USA has a very long and fruitful history of doing what Russia's doing now, so there definitely is hipocrisy in their being offended at Russia's actions.

Hey now! We... probably... haven't done that for, like... a decade... at least... maybe two! Possibly!

Also, we never went nearly as far as Russia did, sending out the army and pretending they are locals! Then again, that... that is probably just from a lack of opportunity, to be honest.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:19 am »

So... the country is lost... I see no attempts of resistance from our government.  (pro)Russians are allowed to do just anything. I don't know is that absolute incompetence, cowardice or a treason but that is a fact. No attempts to do something but empty ultimatums and screams "Russia is bad" from our foreign ministry

Now we'll see what Ukrainian military  units will try do at least something and how will guerrilla form

I still have some small hope that they have some cunning plan...

Yep I am in a pessimist mode again
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #530 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:40 am »

So, what happened with the anti-terror operation(s) yesterday? Last report said 1 officer dead, 5 wounded. Did they actually clear any buildings?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 14, 2014, 08:58:43 am »

So, what happened with the anti-terror operation(s) yesterday? Last report said 1 officer dead, 5 wounded. Did they actually clear any buildings?
They probably run away after meeting actual resistance.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:45 am »

They haven't even entered in a city. One skirmish at outskirts of the city... And that's all

It is logical, anti-terrorist units aren't meant to assault city with armed militia and Spec Ops forces of foreign nation. What should have been done in Slavyanks: Ultimatum - everyone who will not leave governmental building will be considered a combatant, give hour or two for chance to surrender and than send attacks helicopters and turn it into a pile of rubble. But that government are absolute impotents to do something like that. :(

They can't even introduce martial law in cities not yet taken by terrorists\intervents. With strategy like that it is not for long until everything will be not controlled. already in Horlovka few more building taken, at least one police officers killed, other switched to Russian side.

If they lost control over army (doubt it, else we would hear that from army and situation would develop way faster)... then they should admit that and do whatever they can to arm the population and gather whatever units that are loyal
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:13 am »

Sounds like your government are either real cowards or absolutely incapable of stopping the Russians from doing what they are doing :P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2014, 09:09:15 am »

They haven't even entered in a city. One skirmish at outskirts of the city... And that's all

It is logical, anti-terrorist units aren't meant to assault city with armed militia and Spec Ops forces of foreign nation. What should have been done in Slavyanks: Ultimatum - everyone who will not leave governmental building will be considered a combatant, give hour or two for chance to surrender and than send attacks helicopters and turn it into a pile of rubble. But that government are absolute impotents to do something like that. :(

They can't even introduce martial law in cities not yet taken by terrorists\intervents. With strategy like that it is not for long until everything will be not controlled. already in Horlovka few more building taken, at least one police officers killed, other switched to Russian side.

If they lost control over army (doubt it, else we would hear that from army and situation would develop way faster)... then they should admit that and do whatever they can to arm the population and gather whatever units that are loyal

Using combat helicopters on cities? NOT a good idea.

Also, have a video for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdH8OEpDY0k

If that is your army...
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:01 am »

Actually looks like our anti-terrorist unit was ambushed by Russian Spec Ops. At least that what is said in an intercepted communication between Russian soldiers(our Security Service claims posted that video) (Here are that conversation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDx-TqeWj4 In Russian, naturally )

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 14, 2014, 09:13:13 am »

Actually looks like our anti-terrorist unit was ambushed by Russian Spec Ops. At least that what is said in an intercepted communication between Russian soldiers(our Security Service claims posted that video) (Here are that conversation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDx-TqeWj4 In Russian, naturally )

Yes, they were Russian Spec Ops.
That's why I think you don't have any chances now.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:13 am »

Why the hell is Ukraine not pulling the plug on Russias bluff and exposing those special ops for what they really are?

Sounds like Ukraine could use some NATO 'peacekeeping'.

I am facepalming at Ukraine here (at the country, not UR).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:24 am »

Why the hell is Ukraine not pulling the plug on Russias bluff and exposing those special ops for what they really are?

Sounds like Ukraine could use some NATO 'peacekeeping'.

I am facepalming at Ukraine here (at the country, not UR).

They can't expose them because to do that they need to catch them. And they can't catch the Russian Spetznaz. They simply can't.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:01 am »

I was referring to the fake protester trick/puppet government installation episodes during the cold war.

"Your honor when I said the defendant acted the same as many people in the court today, I wasn't referring to the defendants murders, I was referring to his choice of shirt color."

They can't expose them because to do that they need to catch them. And they can't catch the Russian Spetznaz. They simply can't.

Special forces aren't superhuman.  Sooner or later everybody screws up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 136