Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156497 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:32 pm »

Uh... can you give us a rough translation of that? Google translate is failing hard on that article.

Something is definitely happening, I assume it's trying to say what, but I can't actually figure it out.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:19 pm »

Google translate is really horrible with that article, there are some really misleading oddities in there, but I get the general message of the denial. I can't really figure out who's denying it, a vice-secretary of something and some official from the Luhansk region apparently.

I haven't seen independent verification of the hostage situation either and media here have been reporting it (it is an official SBU claim after all) but denials from the protesters too.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:22:05 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:01 pm »

Don't bother. "Ukrainian Interior Ministry has denied"  is a lie.  Journalist claims (without ANY proofs) that one local police officer said him that capturing hostages is not true. And other stuff like that

Vesti.ua is very pro-Russian and quotes Itar-Tass here....

Guiardian, Ukrainian interior ministry has it's own site were it denies or confirms something
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »

Journalist claims (without ANY proofs) that one local police officer said him that capturing hostages is not true.
Yeah, the only source is "the chief DSP MIA of Ukraine in Luhansk region Tatiana Pogukay".  Now I've figured out that what "Deputy sekratarya SBNO Syumar Victoria wrote on facebook" is in Ukrainian and actually is a description of the situation.
I don't know what these abbrevations stand for, but it really doesn't sound like the Ukrainian Ministry of Interior making an official statement.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:31:03 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »

If this goes on much longer, we all will need to learn Russian because Google translate sucks. On the other hand, if we all speak Russian, that might give Putin a pretext to invade all of our countries.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »

BTW, I suggest to read more news from SBU site. Like that:
http://www.sbu.gov.ua/sbu/control/en/publish/article?art_id=123589&cat_id=35317

And yes, I know, that is not a neutral source. (Just in case if some guys will try to prove that it is staged and so on)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2014, 05:47:20 pm »

It seems that there are less Western journalists in Eastern Ukraine than there were in Crimea, and they are getting harassed by the pro-Russian protesters, while Russian journalists can move freely. (link is in German, the relevant part is in the first question).
Most experts seem to think that it's just a small minority and some provocateurs protesting, with the majority only looking for autonomy, not secession. A Russian invasion is also thought of as relatively unlikely, since it's a different situation than Crimea, it would be much harder to do and it would cost too much money.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:48:57 pm by XXSockXX »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2014, 06:35:41 pm »

I have to say I'm not surprised about the gunmen trying to seize power. Situations like what's going on in Ukraine tend to spur all the crazy radical fanatics to action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »

If this goes on much longer, we all will need to learn Russian because Google translate sucks. On the other hand, if we all speak Russian, that might give Putin a pretext to invade all of our countries.
Meh - if we go by the comments on online newspaper articles, there's only ~50 people iin all of Germany who'd be opposed :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:38 pm »

Somehow I doubt that Russia will follow PACE recommendations

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »

This video, allegedly showing local residents trying to slow down an Ukrainian military column advancing towards Donetsk, was all over the Russian television today.
Interesting what would happen with Russians who would try to delay a Russian army column?  Hope adequate Russians will ask that question and think about what country is better place to live

Advancing toward Donetsk is rather lol. Yes we totally need that many APCs and AA-guns to deal with few hundreds that barricaded themselves in one building. They are relocating to the border.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: Where geographically-challenged Americans think Ukraine is....
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2014, 10:39:48 pm »

Ukraine is very easy to spot on a decent map or globe if you know your geography. With that, as most of you know, Americans are horrifically geographically challenged.... Like to the point of if they dont know where it is, they want to invade it more.

Spoiler: Examples as follows (click to show/hide)
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 136