Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156563 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2014, 05:33:43 am »

SUDDENLY
That "huge" group of "protesters'  that captured the governmental building  "created" new independent "Donetsk republic" and asked for Russian military assistance

I hope now our liberal government will do something
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:13 am »

They'd have to be monumentally incompetent to be sitting on their laurels while Russia parks itself on their border and solidifies it's hold on crimea. It doesn't take much to mine pipelines in your own territory- it takes a lot to secure them in an invasion.

I'm saying it's their 'nuclear' option- it's a deterrence against further Russian aggression.
And they'd have to show Russia their trigger finger is itchy if they don't want another 'limited' invasion of the south or east as UR was hypothesizing.
One can't help but wonder... the amount of oil that would need to be cleaned up.... if anyone would clean it up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:42 am »

The amount of oil would be relatively limited.

After all, these are natural gas pipelines.

((There's oil as well, but that is off lesser importance. And besides, you don't need special infrastructure to transport oil by boat.))

EDIt: BBC article on the People's Republic of Donetsk.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:48:23 am by 10ebbor10 »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:51 am »

Is the gas liquid or... uhm, gas?

Neither would be great, but liquid at least wouldn't get into lungs of the people who live nearby.

Also if they were to mine and demolish, one would hope they're realize "HEY maybe causing a spill on our own soil (for however long it would be our soil) isn't a good idea!", and cap it?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2014, 11:57:24 am »

((There's oil as well, but that is off lesser importance. And besides, you don't need special infrastructure to transport oil by boat.))
Wait, natural gas is lighter than air, right? I know just the thing Russia will use to transport it if it loses the pipelines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
;D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »

SUDDENLY
That "huge" group of "protesters'  that captured the governmental building  "created" new independent "Donetsk republic" and asked for Russian military assistance

Yeah this is really bad. Russia isn't being very emphatic in its refusal to intervene - they still reserve the right to "protect ethnic Russians" and all that.

Some guys I know were talking about the Donetsk interior minister declaring support for Russia. A referendum to join Russia will be held in May. The minister commands 16,000 troops.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:27:19 pm by Owlbread »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2014, 01:20:15 pm »

SUDDENLY

Yeah this is really bad. Russia isn't being very emphatic in its refusal to intervene - they still reserve the right to "protect ethnic Russians" and all that.
Which means that as long as Ukraine does no stupid moves like using force to "squash the uprising" instead of maintaining order and letting the referendum play out - on their terms, with no Russian presence - thus giving Russia an excuse for "protecting the ethnic Russians", this situation will not escalate any further. Ball's in the Ukraine's court on this one.

I guess this kinda means that the Ukrainian government will have to somehow restrain its Right Sector, or whatever the group morphed into nowadays.

* Sean Mirrsen is not really keeping current on the current events.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:22:40 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »

Puting *will* find an excuse, even if he has to create it. IMO Ukraine should just invite NATO to hold exercises in Eastern Ukraine for a couple of months.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2014, 01:30:40 pm »

Anyone else finding it ironic that the leader of this new so-called "Donetsk People's Republic" was a member of a Russian neo-nazi organization?

Although apparently this guy has been arrested.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:32:56 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »

Puting
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P

edit:
Anyone else finding it ironic that the leader of this new so-called "Donetsk People's Republic" was a member of a Russian neo-nazi organization?

Although apparently this guy has been arrested.
Well, considering that Russia is now rather firmly Anti-Nazism (biiiig surprise there), I don't think any sort of leader like that would get any traction with the Russian government anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:36:06 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2014, 01:36:13 pm »

Ahaha, that would be some amazing irony right there. Remember, though, Nazis are only bad when opposing Russian interests!

giving Russia an excuse for "protecting the ethnic Russians", this situation will not escalate any further. Ball's in the Ukraine's court on this one.
Err.... you know that Ukraine doesn't need to give Russia an excuse for Russia to use that as an excuse, right? See: Crimea, where Ukraine did nothing to anyone and Russia used that excuse anyway.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2014, 01:39:59 pm »

Ukraine is now officially Chernarus.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »

Well, considering that Russia is now rather firmly Anti-Nazism (biiiig surprise there), I don't think any sort of leader like that would get any traction with the Russian government anyway.
Putin is nothing if not savvy though. I don't think he'd object to a bunch of Nazis tearing off another chunk of Ukraine for him, so long as he felt he could control and then silently remove them afterwards.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »

Putin doesn't give a damn about Nazis. This has nothing to do with Nazis or Fascists or anything else. This is about Russian Ultra-Nationalism and irredentism being exploited by the Russian Government in order to gain popular support through brinkmanship and to strengthen divisions between Russia and the West.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

Russian far rights can be divided in two groups:

a) The ones who think that Putin is a superb ruler
b) The ones who believe that Putin is the first enemy of the nation

All Russian anti-nazism surprisingly applies only for group b. Group a is tolerated if not supported
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 136