Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156322 times)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:41 pm »

Gogis, derogatory means 'insulting' or maybe 'demeaning'. Calling someone an assclown is like calling someone an idiot, and thus is derogatory.

EDIT: from a dictionary: 'showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.'

So basically saying that something/someone's bad or insulting them.

Okay now we speak different languages. I was offended with his liberal use of "assclown" term and I called it's derogatory... Wait a second? I was right?
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »

When they spoke over there about giving rights to minorities, by default they meant they had no rights. That was disturbing. And again, that was the point: they call Russians a minority right in that sense - rightless cultural union on their territory.

Well, normally minorities don't have special rights unless a government gives them to them.

Once again, Russians aren't a minority, they deserve to be an accepted culture at least, see common history and just goddamn population. Second place, right after primary culture.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »

Gogis, you were unclear on the exact definition of 'assclown', so I was showing you the definition.

Gogis, derogatory means 'insulting' or maybe 'demeaning'. Calling someone an assclown is like calling someone an idiot, and thus is derogatory.

Okay now we speak different languages. I was offended with his liberal use of "assclown" term and I called it's derogatory... Wait a second? I was right?

It's not racial slur derogatory, it's the same as using whatever Russian slang you have for an idiot.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 11, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »

When they spoke over there about giving rights to minorities, by default they meant they had no rights. That was disturbing. And again, that was the point: they call Russians a minority right in that sense - rightless cultural union on their territory.

Well, normally minorities don't have special rights unless a government gives them to them.

I actually cannot debate on that matter, for I have no valid arguments because no empires exist.

The Russian Federation and China are examples of Empires in the modern world i.e. relics from long ago. There aren't many left, thankfully, but there are still some.

Thats ridiculous statement. Beyond imagination. You just stated something which is not written anywhere. How you would think recipients of your wise message is going to react? You guys acting insane. "Recklessly" is a very meek word here. With that attitude you not going to be loved. Ever.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 11, 2014, 03:01:34 pm »

Once again, Russians aren't a minority, they deserve to be an accepted culture at least, see common history and just goddamn population. Second place, right after primary culture.

This isn't Europa Universalis. This is the real world where there is no such thing as an "accepted culture" as opposed to "minority". Russians in Ukraine are a minority and always have been. It doesn't matter how close the Ukrainians and Russians are historically or ethnically. Minorities can and should be accepted no matter who they are or for how long they've been there.

Thats ridiculous statement. Beyond imagination. You just stated something which is not written anywhere. How you would think recipients of your wise message is going to react? You guys acting insane. "Recklessly" is a very meek word here. With that attitude you not going to be loved. Ever.

Gogis if you want to take it that personally it's your choice. I'm just saying what I think is right; I'm not attacking the Russian people and I'm not insulting anyone here, I'm making a comment about the nature of two states in the world.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:06:46 pm by Owlbread »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:07 pm »

Yes. Romania is a small country, after all.
Smaller countries can band together to take down empires that abuse them.And your country has abused Eastern Europe enough.The EU and NATO also exist, and although i am not going to place my trust 100% in those organizations, i'd rather take my chances with them rather than to have Russia stomp over Romania the billionth time.
And i like how you say Russia hasn't started many wars.It's not about who starts the war, it's about who forces it to start through careful manipulation.Had Stalin not signed that secret pact with Shitler, i doubt he would've had the courage to go to war against the whole world.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:04:29 pm by Xeron »

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »

Gogis, you were unclear on the exact definition of 'assclown', so I was showing you the definition.

It's not racial slur derogatory, it's the same as using whatever Russian slang you have for an idiot.

quote me when I called Obama an assclown. It's just wrong. Calling him assclown is same as calling everyone who elected him an assclown. Thats just crazy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:05:55 pm by gogis »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:09 pm »

quote me when I called Obama an assclown. It's just wrong. Calling him assclown is same as calling everyone whom elected him an assclown. Thats just crazy.
How is calling the president of a country insulting all the people that voted for him ?You can't control his actions you just hope he does the right thing.If he doesn't you remove him.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

Wait, is the problem here that you don't believe minorities should be an accepted culture? Or that you believe any accepted culture is no longer a minority?

That ethnic Russians are a minority in Ukraine is a simple fact by the definition most English speakers use for minority. It is not an insult in any way, shape or form, any more than it would be to say that Tartars and ethnic Ukranians were a minority in Crimea.

Obama is totally an assclown on a whole host of issues, where does someone get the idea that politicians being called on their natural state is somehow an insult agains the electorate? Comrade P, is this some sort of ... general Russian thing, or just a gogis thing? Any idea?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:08:10 pm by GlyphGryph »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »

quote me when I called Obama an assclown. It's just wrong. Calling him assclown is same as calling everyone whom elected him an assclown. Thats just crazy.

I never said or thought that you called Obama an assclown.

I'm not even the one that was using the term liberally.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:09:10 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2014, 03:09:14 pm »

Wait, is the problem here that you don't believe minorities should be an accepted culture? Or that you believe any accepted culture is no longer a minority?

That ethnic Russians are a minority in Ukraine is a simple fact by the definition most English speakers use for minority. It is not an insult in any way, shape or form, any more than it would be to say that Tartars and ethnic Ukranians were a minority in Crimea.

The problem here is that some Russians want Russians in Ukraine to be given special treatment over other ethnic groups (i.e. things like the right to never learn or use Ukrainian because it's such a peasant language) because of wooly historical/nationalist reasons, despite the fact that just 100 years ago the regions that are trying to declare ethnic-Russian autonomy right now were pretty solidly Ukrainian.

Look at the Russian Civil War and the makeup of the armed groups back then; the Black Army were pretty much all from East Ukraine and were very, very much Ukrainian. The Holodomor probably had a part to play in that though, I hear.

Obama is totally an assclown on a whole host of issues, where does someone get the idea that politicians being called on their natural state is somehow an insult agains the electorate? Comrade P, is this some sort of ... general Russian thing, or just a gogis thing? Any idea?

Due to the nature of the Russian states over the last millenium, the leader of Russia was Russia, whether they were a Tsar or the General Secretary of the Communist Party. When you attack their government, you attack them. When you attack their head of state, you attack all Russians. It's just the manner of thinking in collectives.

Conversely, if you are a Russian and have bad experiences with an ethnic minority group, it is likely that you will make a judgement on all members of that ethnic group. This happens in the West all the time but in Russia it usually goes unchallenged.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:13:17 pm by Owlbread »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 11, 2014, 03:10:48 pm »

That wouldn't make them any less a minority though, it would just make them a minority with special powers, wouldn't it?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »

That wouldn't make them any less a minority though, it would just make them a minority with special powers, wouldn't it?

Comrade P. prefers the Europa Universalis term of "accepted culture". You get similar things like that in Russia itself like the "titular nationalities" in the ethnic Republics/oblasts. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:16:34 pm by Owlbread »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 11, 2014, 03:17:01 pm »

I actually cannot debate on that matter, for I have no valid arguments because no empires exist.

The Russian Federation and China are examples of Empires in the modern world i.e. relics from long ago. There aren't many left, thankfully, but there are still some.
I wish we could just throw all that democratic willy-willy and state ourselves like an empire. Be it Soviet empire, or Tzar-ish empire. Just name things with their names.

Obama is totally an assclown on a whole host of issues, where does someone get the idea that politicians being called on their natural state is somehow an insult against the electorate? Comrade P, is this some sort of ... general Russian thing, or just a gogis thing?
Minority question - maybe it is just my translation problem or prejudice, but I always felt some negative sense in the very word minority when speaking of national policies. I should possibly review this point.

Assclown question - as for me, you all know I approve Putin's policies right now and respect him as a man, and seeing him called an assclown was extremely discomforting. But caling a presedent an assclown totally doesn't mean to insult electorate to me. So it is maybe just gogis.

BTW, what is Europa Universalis? I just heard the terms of minorities, accpeted and primary cultures used in a political discussion somewhere and liked the sense of those.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:18:33 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 11, 2014, 03:21:02 pm »

I wish we could just throw all that democratic willy-willy and state ourselves like an empire. Be it Soviet empire, or Tzar-ish empire. Just name things with their names.

I wish so too, but then everyone would actually understand what countries like China and Russia actually are. People like Putin wouldn't be able to do what they do for much longer if that was the case.

Minority question - maybe it is just my translation problem or prejudice, but I always felt some negative sense in the very word minority when speaking of national policies. I should possibly review this point.

Yes. At one point the word "minority" had pejorative connotations due to peoples' attitudes towards minorities in general but now we are (hopefully) moving towards a better future where minorities are respected parts of our communities.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 136