Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156518 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2014, 05:19:19 pm »

Meanwhile attempts of (Pro-)Russian guys to capture local administration in Mykolayv failed after local population had a short "conversation" with that ~300 collaborators

(dislike using the word separatist here. Owlbeard is a separatist, those are doing something different)

As for the state security building.. I'd not call that recapturing. Guys inside decided to not mess with an anti-terrorist unit and left without anyone of them being arrested.

PS. Rock version of Ukrainian anthem is cool
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:21:09 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2014, 06:15:14 pm »

I still think they are separatists, those pro-Russians. Collaborators would be the crimean Ukrainians who willingly assist Russian ocupation.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »

The correct term would be "irredentist", I think - "a person advocating the restoration to their country of any territory formerly belonging to it." Irredentism works both ways of course - if there was still the demand for it Ukrainian irredentists could claim most of the territory to their east right up to the Caspian Sea.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:23:18 pm by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2014, 06:33:59 pm »

The correct term would be "irredentist", I think - "a person advocating the restoration to their country of any territory formerly belonging to it." Irredentism works both ways of course - if there was still the demand for it Ukrainian irredentists could claim most of the territory to their east right up to the Caspian Sea.
Irredentism would be the right term, but your definition is missing something, as irredentism is mostly about ethnicity. In the original sense it referred to the movement who wanted to unite Italy into a single state. I've heard the term used for claims on former territories, but normally it refers to claims on the ground of common ethnicity.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »

And in the case of Ukraine that definition would be an even better fit, though I think as Ukrainian Ranger often makes clear these "Russians" are only Russian by language and may have Belarusian, Armenian or all sorts of ancestral links. They're really more Soviet than anything else. This crisis is a good example of the importance of language to national identity in the modern era.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:43:26 pm by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »

Right. Ethnicity and national identity are often somewhat hard to pinpoint, but language is one of the most important factors in many cases, especially in this one. Basically once everybody speaks your language, you have a mega-nation. The Soviets were influenced by 19th century Pan-Slavism in that regard, and that has left it's marks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:50:23 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:08 am »

IMO, language is more important than self-identification tool or method of communication. We, human beings, think using words. Native language is our OS.  Our mind is based on it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:16 am »

IMO, language is more important than self-identification tool or method of communication. We, human beings, think using words. Native language is our OS.  Our mind is based on it
That's true.
As a tool of national identification it has it's limits though, there are other factors there as well, like history, culture and religion. You can have a national identity with multiple languages (like in Switzerland or Belgium) or separate national identities with one language (like in post-WW2 Germany and Austria). In the case of the former Soviet territories the impact of both the Soviet language and settlement policies and the breakup of the USSR are historically too recent apparently to develop different identities consistently.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2014, 07:27:53 am »

OK, I take my words back. Our government is not impotent but I still prefer to not see captured offices of our counterintelligence service

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:07 am »

Ukraine is now officially Chernarus.

I don't know what you're getting at.

Also, CNN reported that there was a brawl in the Ukraine parliament. I've seen videos of brawls in other countries parliaments, so it's not that unusual.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:09 am »

The plotline of Arma 2 is merging with reality.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2014, 08:48:42 am »

The plotline of Arma 2 is merging with reality.

I haven't played the game Arma 2, but I can guess it involves terrorists.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:08 am »

More Russian invasion then terrorist, still plenty of those through.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2014, 11:43:20 am »

I like how the definition of terrorism has expanded to political dissidents.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:01 am »

I like how the definition of terrorism has expanded to political dissidents.
How has that ever been any different?
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 136